INSANITY Calorie Intake... CRISIS.

Options
Ok so I started Insanity 3 days ago. Before insanity I was intaking 1300 calories a day.

The insanity Nutrition guide is telling me (based on my weight, hieght, and age) that I should eat 2197 calories a day. This seems INSANE to me. WAY TO MUCH. Right now I have bumped up my calories to 1560 per day because of Insanity. Should I bump this up more because I don't want to be eating to much or too little. PLEASE HELP!

SW: 203
Hieght: 66 inches

Replies

• Missyelliotfan33
    Missyelliotfan33 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am on my second month of insanity starting today and I have been eating about 1500 calories a day. I was doing 1200 at first I know crazy but I was hungry all the time so I upped my calories and I feel much better!
  • andyc2288
    andyc2288 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    try about 1800
  • Only started before weekend. Finding my way around. What's insanity???
  • snhawkins
    Options
    Are you you loosing wieght now. I know there are alot of ppl that don't really loose too much weight but rather inches but I am assuming since I am 50+ lbs over weight that I should be dropping just as many pounds as inches.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    How much are you burning with Insanity? According to my Garmin HRM, I only ever burned 220-270 per 40 minute session (and way less on recovery days). I would tailor it accordingly, say 1300-1600.
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    What is this 'insanity' that everyone is talking about?

I ate 1200 per day for 14 months and lost 29kg/64lbs, but as of yesterday MFP readjusted me to eat 1300 as I'm only 800g/1.7lb from my goal.

I don't understand how eating double your cals will burn more? But if someone can explain it to me, I might understand it. Thanks!
  • snhawkins
    Options
    Honestly, I have no idea. I don't have a HRM yet. I'm broke. lol. But I will tell you that I have NEVER in my life worked harder and sweat more than when I am doing Insanity.
  • snhawkins
    Options
    Insanity is a workout video mainly intense interval training made by beach body. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTEDDmCjd1k
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Start wearing a good reliable brand HRM like Polar. (see e.g., http://www.livestrong.com/article/490909-the-accuracy-of-calories-burned-in-polar-heart-rate-monitors/) Input the ACTUAL calories burned from your workouts each day and eat back your calories accordingly. That's what I'd do.
  • JodiCole
    Options
    I am 220 and 26 years old and on my HRM I burn 400-500 calories a day. I am trying each day to stay under 1300, I don't know if that is right or wrong.

Interested to see the answers.
  • snhawkins
    Options
    Eat back my calories but how many calories should I be Netting a day. that is where I am confused. So many people have said if you eat too little cals on insanity will cause you not to loose weight and I just want to do it right and not work my butt off for nothing.
  • nangel4u
    Options
    I did Insanity and eating over 2000 calories a day is too much!!! I ate about 1800-1850 calories a day and lost 2 pounds a week ;-) You do have to fuel your body for it to cut the fat off!
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Work from the 1560 if you feel comfortable there but look for a cues and if you feel hungry add another 100 - 200 calories. Outside of how challenging the workouts are keep an eye on if you find it impossible to physically not do a workout. It's a different feeling than being winded, i.e. can't lift your legs, arms, etc. That will tell you that you don't have enough fuel to complete the workouts. It's an unmistakeable feeling.

The nutrition guide is basically that and can't hit everyone. When you're were your at it's best to do what works for you. So give it a go at 1560 and add more as necessary. For reference, I am supposed to eat at 3100 according to the guide but completed Round 1 eating at 2100 the entire time. No impact at all on completing workouts, strength and conditioning are much better, etc. I too have over 50 that I'd like to lose. There were times that I would dip into the 1000 calorie deficit if I was really hungry but not too often.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Eat back my calories but how many calories should I be Netting a day. that is where I am confused. So many people have said if you eat too little cals on insanity will cause you not to loose weight and I just want to do it right and not work my butt off for nothing.

I try to keep my Net Calories at around 1200 at leadt. Usually more. If you eat 1600 calories and burn 400, you should be okay. But listen to your body.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options

You should be netting what your original goal is on MFP. Insanity *assumes* that due to the intensity of the workout, you will need X amount more calories and gives a ballpark target. But, not everybody can push it that intensely nor is affected that much. That is why an HRM is important because it would tell you what YOU actually did in the session. You add the exercise into MFP and it will add on the calories.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Uhm thats a LOT of calories. I think they're saying that the 2200 is your bmr, maybe.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    if you dont have a HRM, then log the workouts under circuit training...it is pretty much the same thing...then eat those calories...you really need to fuel your body when doing insanity...It is a crazy routine that puts your body through the ringer...and just wait until you get to phase II or the second month...crazy...I would suggest getting a protein shake for after your workouts..it will give you plenty of protein and help your muscles and body recover...and it will help you feel fuller :) Good luck!!
  • snhawkins
    Options
    I did Insanity and eating over 2000 calories a day is too much!!! I ate about 1800-1850 calories a day and lost 2 pounds a week ;-) You do have to fuel your body for it to cut the fat off!

Can I be nosey and ask how much you weighted when you started insanity?
  • snhawkins
    Options
    Uhm thats a LOT of calories. I think they're saying that the 2200 is your bmr, maybe.

my bmr was 1740 and then you multi by 1.55 for mod active and it gave me 2697 then said to subtract 500 cals to loose weight which gives me 2197.
  • RmYWarrioR
    RmYWarrioR Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is set at 2020 for each day. I do Insanity and a variety of other Cardio Work. I have found that on the days I do Insanity I have a big appetite. To me like anything that gives information and advice the calorie intake given by MFP is a guide, you need to go with how your body feels and what it tells you. Some days you may need more fuel to recover than others. You must responsibly feed your body while trying to lose weight, remember you do not want to lose lean muscle while losing the fat.