hula hooping

Options
Has anyone done hula hooping for working out? I saw one in the fitness area today at target and was kinda curious.

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    just as good as any other cardio. go for it if it is what turns your crank.
  • r0se125
    r0se125 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Will it help with core strength and stuff also?
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I got a hula hoop recently and it's not my main source of cardio but it's definitely tough!
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am truly not sure about the amount of cardio but as a teacher that goes out to recess with the kids, I always encouage anyone that wants to learn the hoola hoop. I can see the joy in their eyes when they finally get it and I always think to myself, at least they are moving.

I have learned that a large percentage of today's children do not move. As far as the hoola hoop goes, they seem out of breath when they are done, so I know it must work on some level.

If nothing else matters, at least its a blast to do!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Will it help with core strength and stuff also?
    yes, but to a very small degree. not near as much as actual core exercise like planks, leg raises, wheel roll outs, or heavy compounds like deads and squats.
  • moondancer2010
    moondancer2010 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am a certified hoopdance and hoopfit instructor. You can burn 400-600 calories per hour depending on your intensity by just waist hooping. I can attest that it is great for your core, as well as hips, buns, thighs, arms, chest. Everywhere. It's a great cardio workout and the best part is, you are having fun and it doesn't feel like working out. I love it. BUT DO NOT get a weighted hoop!!! Everyone thinks that you have to have a weighted hoop to get a better workout - not true! Your hoop should weight no more than 2 pounds. If it weighs more than that, there is potential to do some real damage to yourself. On the flipside - those things you get at Target or WalMart in the toy section are not real hula hoops designed for adults. If you can find someone to make you one or buy one online, that is the best way to go. If you have any questions about hooping, just ask. I would be happy to answer them, if I can.