CA Prop 37?

Options
Wondering if any California members are voting on Prop 37 and what your views are on it. Basically, it says this:
If Proposition 37 is approved by voters, it will:
*Require labeling on raw or processed food offered for sale to consumers if the food is made from plants or animals with genetic material changed in specified ways.
*Prohibit labeling or advertising such food as "natural."
*Exempt from this requirement foods that are "certified organic; unintentionally produced with genetically engineered material; made from animals fed or injected with genetically engineered material but not genetically engineered themselves; processed with or containing only small amounts of genetically engineered ingredients; administered for treatment of medical conditions; sold for immediate consumption such as in a restaurant; or alcoholic beverages."

Would you want to know if that can of corn you just just purchased had corn kernels from GMO's, or not? If anyone is unclear as to what genetically modified foods are, check out this video to give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA&feature=player_embedded

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I hope this passes! Im in Canada but I am HUGE on GMO labeling Everyone has the right to know what they are eating and make that choice for themselves
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm not in Cali either, but I hope it passes as well, seems like anything nutrition wise gets its start in California.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all corn is GMO now. I don't know if I want to know. The problem is that then you have to enforce it, and yeah. That's not gonna happen. Just another way for lawyers to make a buck from the State, er, from you. The big companies like Monsanto who are monopolising the food industry already have the government in their back pocket. California has enough financial problems without MORE regulation.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I like clear honest labels including those on restaurant menus. Having said that, (I am thick skinned so just be intellectually honest in your flaming! :-)> ), I am not afraid of applied science i.e. Genetically modified foods. We have been doing the same modification over time to grown foods in particular by selecting traits by hand,. Now we do it through mechanical means.

i pay attention to quality food, good nutritional information and it's effects on me. I don't get my hair on fire and stress about this....but to each their own......

edit: spelling
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I like clear honest labels including those on restaurant menus. Having said that, (I am thick skinned so just be intellectually honest in your flaming! :-)> ), I am not afraid of applied science i.e. Genetically modified foods. We have been doing the same modification over time to grown foods in particular by selecting traits by hand,. Now we do it through mechanical means.

i pay attention to quality food, good nutritional information and it's effects on me. I don't get my hair on fire and stress about this....but to each their own......

edit: spelling

I agree "clear honest labels". I would have never known our food was genetically modified if I didnt start learning about it on my own. I always thought "fresh" was best (over packaged, etc.). I dont usually buy organic unless it benefits my wallet, and I know almost all the food I buy is probably GMO, including the organic stuff, (except for my eggs, I get those from a local farmer, her chickens run all over her property foraging for themselves, but I dont buy her eggs because they are cage free or anything, I buy them because they taste good).
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm Californian and I'll be voting yes on 37
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Totally. GMOs are so gross!