Iron Tablets? BAD?

Options
First off Im a vegetarian, Today i heard on the radio iron suppliments are really bad for you! does this count for those who dont get it from meat? =s

This is what is in mine.

Each tablet contains:
Total elemental Iron 24mg;
Derived from Ferrous Fumarate (supplying elemental iron 12mg) and Iron amino acid chelate (supplying elemental iron 12mg).
Folic acid 95mcg;
Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) 250mg;
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine hydrochloride) 5mg;
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 5mg;
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine hydrochloride) 25mg;
Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 50mcg.

If anyone knows please let me know, little worried now.

Replies

• justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you are a vegetarian, the best thing to do is to get your iron levels tested to see if you need supplimentation. Not having enough iron is also bad for you...Good Luck!
  • cagirl1968
    Options
    Try a whole food supplement like Mega Foods Blood Builder. It is much safer than putting metal in your body, more effective, and vegetarian.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I was watching Dr. Oz the other night and he said the best thing to do was use an Iron skillet. I am anemic (not vegetarian) but am also on thyroid medication so iron tablets are not the best deal.
  • jenstalder
    Options
    I have very very low iron and my doctor has told me for years to take iron pills.. i also work in the health field, in surgery, and have talked to many doctors about it and they all say to take the pills.

I also drink shakeology that has helped me so much with my health..
    www.shakeology.com/stalder

Calories 140 Sodium 100 mg
    Total Fat 1 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 17 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 9 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 17 g
    Cholesterol 15 mg
    Vitamin A 100% Calcium 50%
    Vitamin C 300% Iron 22%
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Was there any explanation why they are bad? I'd be interested to know. Anyway, here's some info how to get your iron from food, and some other good tips: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/library/publications/year/1998/vegedge.pdf
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    I never heard that iron pills are bad for you. I have low iron, as a lot of women do. Before I found out it was low, I was tired a lot. Now, I'm actually on a prescription iron because my levels were still too low with the over-the-counter iron. My doctor said most menstruating women have low iron stores but don't know it.
  • gem975
    gem975 Posts: 29
    Options
    Yeah they were saying heart problems, shortness of breathe and dizziness.. which just happens to be the reason im on them.. HMM strange..
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    They are bad for you only if you are getting enough from your diet. Too much iron is toxic. Most people get enough iron from food. Check your MFP logging. It should be 18 gr for the omnivores and 36 gr for the vegetarians (vegetable iron sources are absorbed differently and therefore, the veggie folks need more). If you around these numbers, you do not need a supplement. If you're supplementing, make sure you are not exceeding these numbers with food + supplement to avoid toxicity.

Truthfully, your best bet as a veggie is just have a heaping spinach salad daily. Greens are very good on iron and all sorts of other things.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    These are late symptoms of iron overdose - I don't believe if you take a supplement and follow the instructions you're going to overdose yourself, but like somebody else said, your doctor is the best person to talk to about this concern. :drinker: