experienced marathoners: mental toughness tips

I'm doing my first marathon in 3 weeks. I have done all my homework (following a pretty sound training program). I've built a strong base, with a half marathon completed in May. I've maxxed out my long run at about 23 miles (37k) with 3 additional 20 milers. I am sharpening/tapering now and I feel good. Strong. My body is ready.

But mentally... those 5k I haven't done -- the ones between 37k and 42k -- well they are sort of looming like the Mines of Mordor for me (a la LOTR). I've read a few Jeff Galloway tips for mental games to get through the middle miles and access resources you never knew you had... but do you guys have any suggestions? The nuttier the better. I'm pretty nutty.

I know my body is ready and if I can concentrate when it starts to get hard, and dig deep enough, I might have a sub 4 hour finish. Any tips appreciated!

Replies

• First, you seem like you know what you are doing and you have prepared well. Be realistic about your race pace. The key for a marathon is pacing properly. Many people start out too fast because of the excitement, and they feel like they can push through anything in the beginning. The marathon distance doesn't let you get away with starting to fast - you always are punished in the end for being too fast in the beginning. You can run the entire distance in a faster overall time by going at a reasonable and steady pace throughout, including the downhills where it is tempting to run fast.

If you run a realistic pace based on your training, and you make sure to start eating and drinking immediately at the first water stop and throughout, then based on the training you describe you may find those last miles easier than you fear.

As far as mental games, I think the best advice is don't focus on how many miles to go, but instead focus on the mile you are running.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    My first marathon I started out too fast and the last 6 were tough. You just have to keep telling yourself that no matter how bad it is that you're not going to die and that the faster you can force yourself to go the sooner it will be finished.

In the end you just have to zip up the man suit and press on.
  • ebesse
    ebesse Posts: 1 Member
    A lot of beginner training plans will have you max out at a 20 mile run, so you going to 23 I think gives you an advantage right there, mentally and physically. You know you could walk a 5K if you have to, so don't let those last 3.2 miles scare you. Good luck!
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    When I ran my first marathon, I had only run 18.5 miles beforehand... so you are infinitely more prepared than I was, as you have 4 20+ mile runs under your belt.

Psychologically speaking, I'm not sure what course you'll be running, but when I ran Boston a couple years ago the water stops were my saving grace. There was a water stop every 3 miles, so during those middle miles, I'd push myself to "just get to the next water stop." Pretty soon, 20 miles had gone by. I tried not to focus too much on the individual miles, but rather, getting from one water stop or one town to the next. For me it made the time seem a bit faster. Then once you hit 20-22, you know that you're going to finish which is a fantastic feeling.

My other advice would be not to be TOO hung up on time. Enjoy the ride. Take off your headphones and listen to the people who came out just to cheer you on. Feel proud of your accomplishment after. Best of luck to you!!

*Edited to make sense :)
  • staling007
    staling007 Posts: 5 Member
    You will surprise yourself on race day how mentally in it you will be. Nothing really prepares you for those last few miles of the marathon...but you will do it and finish well. My friend and I on training runs ask a lot of questions of each other like...who would you rather have a drink at a bar with - Alec Baldwin or Charlie Sheen? Who would you rather hang out with...Angelina Jolie or Jen Aniston. Little games like that will help pass some of the time. Also, there are runners out there that will chat with you on the road. They're in the same boat you are and it can really help pass the time bs'ing with someone you just met! Good luck!!!
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Honestly if you have the mental toughness to do the training, the marathon will be no big deal mentally. But whatever you do, do not try to calculate in your mind how much longer you have to run. I was all excited at mile 20 of my 2nd marathon when I only had "a 10K" left ... and then I realized that 10K would take me another hour.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    It sounds like you have done a great job training. How did you mentally push through your 23 mile run? You can use the same tactics in the marathon. I have a few mantras that I repeat to myself. They are just short little quotes that I can remember when my brain and body are maxed out. When I go through a rough spot in an event, I start to break it down into quarter miles. If I think of things in smaller increments, they seem less daunting to me. I also start chatting it up with fellow runners toward the end. We're all in the same situation and can use the company. Enjoy the crowds around you, too. Which event are you running? Is it a larger or smaller one?
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Thanks everyone. When I did the half last year at this same race, I remember there was a guy beside me at about the 12k mark who said, "You know, I'm not racing you." Odd bird, I thought, but off he went. And then at 20k he came up behind me and said "Okay NOW I'm racing you." We surged ahead and he 'pulled' me across the finish. Maybe I'll be that person for someone else this year. Like I said, nutty. I love that about longer races.

Happy trails
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Thankyou for this post, I've been considering signing up for a marathon and all the training involved. Thanks to the inspiring answers and the op I've decided..... I'M DOING IT WOOHOO! good luck in yours I'm sure you'll do a great job :)