STRENGTH TRAINING

Options
I would like to start strength training and I really don't know where to start. I've read on here about a book for women to go by but I don't remember the name. Any tips/pointers appreciated! Also how often do you strength train and cardio in a week?

Replies

• mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat. luckily i have a friend who is a trainer and she is working up a routine for me, when she gets it to me i'll share it. i am going to work on cardio 6 days a week and strength 3 days.
  • lljksilk
    Options
    http://brainoverbrawn.com/

The book is free, and very in-depth on most of what you'd like to know.

Also, don't be afraid to do squats, curls, deadlifts, etc. You won't turn into the she-hulk or anything. squats give you a nice butt, and lift heavier than 10-20lb crap that people like to do.
  • lljksilk
    Options
    Just noticed you are from Stapleton. I used to live in Robertsdale.

Ummmm, also check out this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

or

Starting Strength

Both are great for beginners.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for women is a good place to start. Theres a group on here that may be able to tell you more
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    with new rules of lifting for women, what weight do you start out at?
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do New Rules of Lifting, but the book and routines for men rather than women. I've read both books but found the workouts in the men's book easier to follow. I recommend the women's book if you're new to lifting though, because the authors do a very good job of breaking down popular myths surrounding women's fitness.

Me personally, I lift 3x a week and run 2.5-5 miles 3x a week depending on how I feel.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    with new rules of lifting for women, what weight do you start out at?

It may take some experimenting to find out. When you check out the exercises in the book you want to use a weight that is heavy enough that the last couple of reps are difficult to complete. In the beginning it's perfectly okay to go too light until you're sure of your form. When you feel confident about your form, you should make sure to be using a challenging weight. This is individual to each person what those weight amounts will be.
  • Nina1007
    Options
    I was just about to post this topic myself. Thanks :)
  • ksyp92
    ksyp92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    if you go on bodybuilding.com they have A LOT of workout plans that are for beginners.. i base what i do off of most of them! its awesome and free!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thx, i will check that out!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

or

Starting Strength

Both are great for beginners.

^^^^ Yep.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    in addition to the plans listed strong lifts is also good.

basically any program that focuses on compound lifts are going to be awesome sauce
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

basically any program that focuses on compound lifts are going to be awesome sauce

Yep