Brand new...

Options
I have tried everything, from Slim4Life to WW to Protein to HCG - the queen of yo-yo, losing and regaining pound after pound. Started yesterday, and already am starting to realize how much I eat, and at what times of the day. I guess that's a good first step... but I'm terrified of one more dieting disappointment. :brokenheart:

Replies

• ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Hi....

I have never really tried yo yo dieting or any of the other quick schemes but i do know about being over weight and tired of it. I think you have found the right place to be. It is amazing how once you start to log every thing you see how quickly it adds up. I think that just being sensible , concious of what you put in your body and getting exercise is the best way to do it. May be slower than other ways but it will be lasting.

Also , dont think of this as dieting . Its really not at all if you just choose to make better choices rather than say....i "cant" have that. If you want something just do it in moderation. Take it one day at a time and dont try to change it all at once. Good luck to you and if you would like to add me as a friend for motivation or support that would be great.

Ladyark
  • cloud1770
    cloud1770 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are not alone in being terrified of another failure. I can lose just fine. But I can put that weight right back on and do every time. I've only been here for 3 days. I too hope this is the answer.
  • bloomies28
    bloomies28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hear you guys on the “I hope it stays off" and I too am shocked at my eating pattern it is a real eye opener to see it written down. But I’m a true believe it works if you want it to; the biggest challenge now is not getting sick of eating the same thing over and over. Not only I’m I learning how to eat better I’m learning how to actually cook real food.
  • colcafe
    Options
    Thank you, LadyArk! Your words mean more than you will ever know.
  • colcafe
    Options
    We're twins in this, then, Cloud. This is my third day. Amazing how as soon as you start to log in your foods, and realize how MUCH you eat in one day! This is what does the trick, I guess... Awareness!
  • colcafe
    Options
    How true, bloomies. I, too, am shocked, not just at the amount of food I eat, but at how quickly a bite here and a bite there adds up!
  • nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You will probably spend the first month in shock at what you did eat before... then perhaps get obsessed with exercise... hahaha we've all got stories... My heaviest was 284 back in 2003 and I am only 5'3. I lost a little... then had surgery lost a little... Ive been on MFP since June 12th and lost 33 lbs. I have even tried to "do it without MFP" and actually gained 2 lbs... so, if you are and can be, dedicated to loggin whatever goes in your mouth... this system can work for you. 2 of my Bff's on on here... one who started at 210 and has lost 33 lbs also... the other weighed over 500 and has lost 66 lbs in about 2 weeks less then me.... My mom, wh was already a health guru... lost 3 lbs on here... its all about being COMPLETELY honest with yourself.
  • Hollie6790
    Hollie6790 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is a really great tool for weight loss, I've tried Weight Watchers before and hated it. I like this because you eat your normal foods you just become more aware of what you're eating. I hope you like it! Feel free to add! I'm on daily! :smile:
  • kenjancef
    kenjancef Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Awareness is certainly the key, it was for me. And the great thing is that when people ask me how I lost weight, I say "choices", and explain to them about being aware of what is in the food they eat. 9 times out of 10 I get a gasp... :)
  • bloomies28
    bloomies28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    it does add up quickly.... another shocker is measuring things out!! my 1 cup is a lot bigger than a true cup size hahah
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything, from Slim4Life to WW to Protein to HCG - the queen of yo-yo, losing and regaining pound after pound. Started yesterday, and already am starting to realize how much I eat, and at what times of the day. I guess that's a good first step... but I'm terrified of one more dieting disappointment. :brokenheart:

Welcome. I was the queen of diets up and down for 15 years, adding more fat every time. But you can finally just make a life style change and simply eat less of all the foods you like. I lost 60 lbs at age 50 and have kept it off a year now. I love MFP to help me walk the fine line of maintenance now. My full story here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Good Luck, you can do it this time.
  • syndywindy
    Options
    I know all the feelings you are facing, I've lost and gained a few times. Then. Snot health issues(cancer) really left me leading a sedentary life for a few years. Now healthy and feeling good, it became time to take control of my life and body again. With the help of a childhood friend who has lost 95lbs, I got started. I'm motivated by him, this website and my new granddaughter. I am watching my carbs and sugar intake, along with a lot of cardio work. I find this diet very east to maintain and feel it will be sustainable in the future.
    Be positive, think positive and take it one day, one pound at a time. Don't get down on yourself for that occasional slip up, we all have them and. Sex them. It happens. The key is getting back on the horse and get it going again.
    You can do it, you have a lot of people here willing to encourage and help you.