meanie at the Gym

Options
Dear friends………I need some encouragement due to a meanie at the gym! I see some of the same people on daily basics. I’m sick of this one guy (who happens to be a personal trainer) giving me his “two cents” on how I should work-out. First, let me say this…he is not my personal trainer, he just their every time I’m there. Most of his advice he has given me has been helpful. But, his tactics to talk to me have gotten more aggressive. But he says things like – Go faster on that treadmill, you need lift more weights, etc.

*** I really can’t say anything to him because he is a co-worker and we are working out at the gym at work which happens to be free.

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'd turn up the volume on my iPod and pretend I can't hear him.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Try to use sarcasm back at him, that way he may laugh and he may leave you alone eventually. Say something like, "If I add more weight I'll lose all my femininity, wouldn't want that!" or something like, "that's why it's MY treadmill, not enough room for two!"
  • jaelliott907
    Options
    You should say something to him... tell him you appreciate the advice and his expertise but you don't want to hear it at the moment. There's really no point being passive-aggressive... it's just annoying. Just be honest and sincere.
  • allthismusic
    Options
    he thinks he's helping. don't let it get you down. granted, he should shut up and mind his own business.....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You could thank him for his advice so far but say not all of it works for you in particular.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's flirting with you?
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    He doesn't sound like a meanie to me. And by that, I mean that how each of us perceives a situation can be different depending on many things, such as our mind set at the time.

Perhaps he is trying to flirt with you in his own clumsy way. If you are interested in him, why not ask him to have a coffee with you so you can talk about his suggestions.

If you are not interested, then you need to find a way to shut him down. Or ask someone in charge at the gym to speak to him about offering unsolicited advice.

Unfortunately, the only thing that you can control is your reaction to to the situation, so try to find a reaction which leaves you feeling good about yourself and doesn't make you feel uncomfortable about going to the gym and working out.
  • cinner506
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just wanted some encouragement to stick with "what works for me."
    I just wanted to vent!! He was getting on my last nerve! I just didn’t want to stop going to the gym because he was there.
    I’ll just pretend to listen to him and do my own thing.

as a extra note: Trust me he is being mean! I just gave you the "clean version" of what he said.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you can't say anything to him.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Tell him if you wanted bad advice from an idiot you'd pay him.