Chip Alternatives? Advice!

Options

Replies

• susher71
    susher71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love those! I normally don't even eat 27 chips.
  • shelbz09
    Options
    You guys are so awesome! Thank you!
  • Meribeth928
    Options
    Sensible Portions Veggie Chips or Veggie Straws...they are really good and it is like eating a chip. 38 of them have only 130 calories.
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    I like the Veggie Straws from Walmart and Special K Cracker Chips. The Quaker Quakes 90 calorie rice cake bags are awesome as well. They come in 6 different flavors from salty to sweet.
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the Pop Chips. I tried them the other day and I do not think I will go back to the regular ones.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    More suggestions:

Homemade popcorn (super duper easy).

- 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels and a brown lunch bag. Microwave for 2:30-2:45. 120 calories for a huge bowl. You can use a little butter spray or parmeasan cheese on it for flavoring and not add too much.

Dehydrated fruits.

- They are in the same spot as raisins in the grocery store and can help abate a sweet craving. I love the dried apples.

Pretzels

- By serving size, pretzels have a lot less fat and you can dip them in some mustard for a salty crunchy snack.

Apples with peanut butter

- Not terribly low calorie (about 300 calorie per serving for apple plus 2 tbsp of PB), but really tasty and filling.
  • missdabby
    missdabby Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    jalapeno pop chips are delicious...add some homemade guac for added fiber : )
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just found Chip'ins -- popcorn chips!! 18 chips for 130 calories and they are gluten free and all natural. I had the jalapeno ranch this weekend and LOVED them (found 'em at Walmart). I had the bag on the table at a party I was having and they were gone in no time.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You can make your own. With real potatoes in the microwave and they really good. Plus it takes a bit to slice the potato so its not like your going to be going back again and again. :) Here is a recipe, I like to do this with sweet potatoes. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/microwave-potato-chips/ just make sure you let them cool enough, that is when they crisp up.

**Be sure to read through the reviews for some other great ideas, like using the same method with apples and cinnamon.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I dont really care for the special k chips.....so when I "need" a chip I grab a few of the "light" ruffles chips. They are fat free and 80 calories for about 15 chips. I think they taste just like regular chips too
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I dont really care for the special k chips.....so when I "need" a chip I grab a few of the "light" ruffles chips. They are fat free and 80 calories for about 15 chips. I think they taste just like regular chips too

I tried those years ago. Just don't eat too much in one sitting, or you might get a very unpleasant bathroom surprise.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Kale chips and homemade sweet potato chips that you just slice real thin and bake in the oven :)
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    oooh! thanks for posting this! i have a weakness for chips too.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I tried those years ago. Just don't eat too much in one sitting, or you might get a very unpleasant bathroom surprise.

Agreed, they actually almost had to stop making those because of the olestra content (check out the side effects, google them, AWFUL)
  • bananapopsicle1
    bananapopsicle1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just tried baked lentil chips, by Mediterranean Snacks... pretty tasty. (especially with hummus dip)
    for about 22 chips, 28g:
    110 calories
    3g fiber
    4g protein
    0 sugar
    3g fat
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Costco - Wild Rice Works. The stuff is addictive. They are the perfect shape and taste for dipping into humus or something like that. You can't have a lot but yum. I'm gluten free and they have no gluten which is another nice point.

I should have mentioned that they are made from brown rice so they are a little bit healthier than you'd think. Either way, the taste is divine and they have multiple flavors.

http://www.riceworks.com/flavors_USA.html

P.S. I just looked at their Salsa Fresca flavor and it has real veggies in it.
  • Elle_BM
    Options
    Have you tried Cheecha Puffs? They are incredibly delicious (and addictive) and they range from 74-90 calories for 2 cups. They are awesome for curbing a crunchy, salty craving. Pop chips and Special K chips are also delicious and low cal chip alternatives.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    the no-fat chips.......I've never had a problem with them. but I've also never eaten more than one serving of them in one day! I just like them when nothing else will do besides a chip!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys SO MUCH! SERIOUSLY! I have some really great Ideas!!! :D

IMHO a lot of these idea really aren't going to be very helpful. Replacing one highly processed carb chip with another lower calorie highly processed carb chip is only a very minor improvement. I'd recomend:

1. If you're hungry, then eat real food: nuts, fruits, veggies, lean meat, whole fat dairy, etc. If you're not hungry enough to eat real food, then don't eat. Drink some tea or coffee instead.

2. Stop frickin buying chips! If you don't have them, you can't eat them. Eventually you'll stop craving the carbs (might take 6 weeks).
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try roasted vegetables instead. I like broccoli, kale, asparagus, brussell sprouts, red potatoes, cauliflower, etc. You take a good .5lb or so, add 1 tsp of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook in the oven at 425 degrees for 20-40 (until crispy). Very delicious and a great way to eat your veggies.