Renaissance Festivals

Options
jeolds
jeolds Posts: 104 Member
The topic came up in the midst of someone looking for lingerie, of all things. I'm just curious how many others are out there that frequent them. I have worked at the Texas Renaissance Festival. I have also visited Scarborough Faire in Waxahachie, TX, Sherwood Forest Faire, near Austin, TX and The Colorado Renaissance Festival in Larkspur, CO.

Opening weekend of the Texas Renaissance Festival is October 6th and my wife and I plan to be there. Does anyone else frequent this one or any others for that matter? Of course, the bigger question is: Do you attend in garb?

Replies

• ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i went to one a couple weeks ago. it was a blast!!! i dressed my children up as princesses and we plan on going again and this time were all going to dress up. im making my costume though im not buying one there for 500-1000 dollars xD
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I went to one in the spring. We loved it and will go next year.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    we go every year...I find them to be lots of fun. Love all the dragons,fairies and jousting!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Hubs and I went to the one in Maryland last week. It was wonderful! We had a great time.
  • epcot6
    Options
    I haven't been to one in years but I remember there were a bunch of wenches roaming around
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't do Renaissace Fairs, but I am apart of the SCA, which is similar but closed to the public. Plus, it focuses more on the Viking era. It is great times.
  • dev5254
    dev5254 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go to the one in Maryland every year. Its a lot of fun. I love watching the shows.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I go for the turkey drumstick, beer and miles of cleavage.
  • jewelsc1
    Options
    We go every year here in Michigan. Good food, good times! Love it!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Went to the Michigan / Holly faire a number of years ago, had a wonderful time. Would like to go again. I did form a deep appreciation of the joys of undoing the lacing of my corset/vest at the end of the day...AAAHHhhhhhhh!!! :sick: --->:tongue:
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i went to one a couple weeks ago. it was a blast!!! i dressed my children up as princesses and we plan on going again and this time were all going to dress up. im making my costume though im not buying one there for 500-1000 dollars xD

You really don't have to spend that much for garb. A basic broom skirt (can layer a couple) a loose fitting shirt, a corset and head wear is all you need. Not really expensive at all. That is one of the things we cover with people that work out there because we have to appear period. We can't do the steampunk or fantasy things, although we get to go for run this year!

The only things I have spent that much money on was a custom leather kilt, blades, and boots. The boots are pretty important when working out there because you are on your feet all day.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Love them! It's become a fall tradition in my family. We haven't dressed up yet, but we keep saying we're going to. :-)
  • karylee44
    Options
    i used to belong to the SCA (society for creative anachronism).. a medieval recreation group.. we didn't deal with outside people (unless doing demostrations at schools and other events) but did stuff among ourselfs and groups.. i was the house leader of about 20 (house of the standing stones.. better known as the moonpies) and shot archery, taught costume design, taught dance and brewed my own beer..

I miss it .
  • EvaChan83
    Options
    My first job I ever had was at a ren faire when I was 16, ever since then I've worked on and off at various faires. Maryland is my home faire and I'm lucky that it's also one of the best:)