I need friends and If you had Weight Loss Surgery Even Bette

Options
Thanks everyone and hope you all do your best to be the best!

Ted

Replies

• prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Two of my MFPals are in two separate WLS groups....u can search for the names of the groups in the groups forum and join
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me. I had the Duodenal Switch form of Weight Loss Surgery. Are you post-op or pre-op? What is your surgery of choice?
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery last December 6th. Feel free to friend me. A couple of my friends are also in a WLS forum group.
  • GrammyDiane
    Options
    Hi Ted,

Glad to accept your friend request. I am going in three weeks from today to have the lap band surgery. I am very excited but also a little concerned about managing life after the band - especially eating out. My husband is actually more worried than I am. I figure it will take me as long to eat my portion as it will for him to complete his whole meal. I don't think it will be too much of an issue. How have you found that to be? You're about one month out post-op now - have you had good success with reintroducing solid food?

By the way, your baby is adorable!

Diane
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you have not had the lap band surgery, I would encourage you avoid it if at all possible. While lap band surgery is not quite as invasive as some weight loss surgeries, it has it's share of complications:

http://bmi.ucsd.edu/weight-loss-surgery/lap-band/Pages/risks.aspx

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum/70-lap-band-complications
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and considering weight loss surgery - either the Sleeve or the lap band. I would like to know any advice you all have regarding this?
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I had duodenal switch surgery last September. Feel free to add me.
  • bakingmadness
    bakingmadness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric Bypass Surgery in March 2007. Best choice I ever made for myself.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you have not had the lap band surgery, I would encourage you avoid it if at all possible. While lap band surgery is not quite as invasive as some weight loss surgeries, it has it's share of complications:

All surgery has it's complications. I had lap band surgery and have had no complications or problems. Best thing I ever did. Now the hernia surgery was a different story, almost died from that one.......Every person is different. Whichever you decide make sure your surgeon and his office is a "Center of Excellence".
  • Lisaizme
    Options
    Banded almost 3 years, lost 220 lbs (+/-), and have had no severe complications.

Please no surgery wars here. We should all support each other.

I do suggest researching all options and chose the WLS that will fit the individuals needs the best.

OP, feel free to friend me.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    It is NOT starting a war or being a hater to warn people that there often are long term complications with weight loss surgery.

It is merely making sure that people are making an informed decision, and not just accepting the sales pitch offered by WLS doctors and clinics that often makes these procedures sound safer and less complication filled than they actually are.
  • Lisaizme
    Options
    IMO, it is starting a war to pick out one particular surgery and down it. All WLS have their advantages and disadvantages. The person should pick out the one that fits their needs and lifestyle the best.
  • Lisaizme
    Options
    "I'm 27 and considering weight loss surgery - either the Sleeve or the lap band. I would like to know any advice you all have regarding this?"

Both work similarly with the patient being satisfied (not full.. there's a difference) on lesser amts of food. Sleeve patients sometimes get a dumping effect.. which is helpful for those who are addicted to sugar. Dumping is not guaranteed though. That is all I know about the sleeve from talking to others.

The band requires more doctor visits for fills and sometimes unfills. If you live far away from your bariatric surgeon or if your insurance situation is unstable, I'd advise the sleeve as it requires less maintenance.

Keep on researching and congratulations on making steps to being healthier.
  • farina2u
    Options
    hi..the sleeve does not have 'dumping'..the Roux en Y gastric bypass has dumping, but only approx 30% of people dump, and after a year, it pretty much ceases
  • melly7171
    melly7171 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Everyone is different. There re complications from any surgery you have.

I am 7 years banded...no probs with the band itself only me not using it properly. Am booked in for Feb next year to get it removed and get a sleeve done. Add me if you have any questions i know the good and the bad!
  • jhamlin6668
    jhamlin6668 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had Roux-n-y 11 years ago. Epic fail. Trying to get back on the wagon with MFP. Sure could use some new friends. All of my old ones dropped out. Exercise is my biggest problem. I log on a lot and am really upbeat and encouraging, so you'll get lots of cheers from me. I sure could use some encouragement in return. Thanks, Julie
  • Lisaizme
    Options
    hi..the sleeve does not have 'dumping'..the Roux en Y gastric bypass has dumping, but only approx 30% of people dump, and after a year, it pretty much ceases

While I cannot report from personal experience, I have spoken to several sleevers who DO experience dumping. It cannot be from the same reason, as sleevers keep their pyloric valve, but the symptoms they describe are the same.