Weight vs. Clothing Size

Options
I just don't get it. I'm 212 lbs and a size 22. Now, I'm only 5 ft tall, but how can others who are only a couple of inches taller than me weigh more and be in a smaller size? Even when I was around 125 lbs, I was still a size 10-12 depending on the type of clothing? I just don't get it...Can someone please try to explain it? Is it where I carry my fat that makes the difference? It's mosly around my middle.

Replies

• courtm82
    courtm82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it's how you are built and wear you have your weight. I have seen the same situation for myself, only I'm 5'8. People carry their weight in different places, so two people weighing the exact same weight and that are the exact same height could actually wear different sizes!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Before pregnancy, I wore everything from a 12 to a 16 in women's clothes (5'8" and ~180 lbs). Different clothing manufacturers size differently. Certain cuts of jeans would fit me better in one size rather than another also.

Remember, nobody sees the size but you, so just find clothes that fit well and that you feel comfortable in.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    That is actually part of it. Now for me, I've been 230 lbs and in a size 26, then later, 230 lbs and in a size 22. I'm in a 16 or less now...need new clothing so I'm not sure. I've only lost 16 lbs, but a lot of clothes are starting to fit better...or be way too big. I lose mostly in my middle first, and later around thighs and legs. I've always been very solid. In a size 10-12, I'm at least 140-150lbs. I'm 5'1" (and 3/4!)
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    It depends on body shape, type of clothing (pants vs skirts vs tops, etc), brand of clothing, styles within that same brand, vanity sizing, and so on.

I've been wearing Lane Bryant jeans since 1998. When I weighed 225 pounds, I wore a size 20. I weigh 319 pounds now, with the same shape (pear), and I just put on size 20 in their "Right Fit" brand. That's a difference of nearly 100 pounds. Hooooooly vanity sizing. ;)

Even if I stay within their items, though, I have to try everything on. I wear anything from a 20 to a 26, depending on the cut and style and whether it's jeans, dress pants, cargo pants, or a skirt. It's crazy.

When my boyfriend asks what size I wear, I tell him to get me a gift card so I can try stuff on.
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think it's all in how you're built. I weigh 280ish, and wear a size 18/20, and I'm around 5'7", meanwhile my old friend from high school weighs about 40lbs less than I, and is two sizes larger. I'm very muscular, and she is not. She also carries her weight in different places, I somehow lucked out (i guess) and got fat everywhere versus one or two places.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Oh, and it's for this exact reason I don't really pay attention to someone saying, "I wear size X." It tells me nothing about what they look like because sizes vary so much.
  • caslyn3
    caslyn3 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    you may just have "heavy" bones. I was reading up on something last night and it calculated my " true weight" i too have heavy bones.. I am 5"2 and 210.8 lbs.. I wear a size 16/18. According to my BMI, my healthy weight should be in the range of 120-130 but this website i found that does coaching ( i did not sign up, I am not paying for something MFP can do for free :-) ) It is called Dukan Diet.. It said my true weight is 158 lbs, according to my bone structure.. The last time I weighed near that.. I was 15 years old and if I can remember correctly, I looked pretty damn good.. SO..Dont fret, if you are losing.. then you are LOSING not GAINING.. Maybe you are losing water weight right now and lbs rather than inches.. are you just doing cardio or just eating better?
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    It is where u carry ur weight. Also ppl who are taller can weight more and been in smaller sizes as they have more places to put the weight. ALSO those who weigh more could do so because they have more muscle. Body comp plays a big roll. Don't compare urself to ppl. It will only lead to heartache. Trust me, I know.
  • lalalyn12
    lalalyn12 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Its also muscle mass as well, someone can weight just as much as you, and same height but could wear something smaller due to muscle mass. Just like a small person vs a muscular small person, smal person weight 130 in a size 6, muscular small person 130 size 2....
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's weird, isn't it? I'm also a size 22, but I weigh 259 and am 6'2. We could never share clothes! :-)
  • tellascott
    Options
    That plus depending on where a person shops the clothes are way different. Walmart clothes I'm a Large, Winner I don't even fit their 2X large. It's next to impossible I think in this day and age to know what size you really are.
    Also people do carry weight differently. I'm 184, give or take 5 pounds depending on how much water my cells decide to hang on to, but a lot of that weight is in my chest rather than my tummy and hips so i can get away with different size clothes than someone who carries that weight in their hips or bottom.

Personally I like the fact I'm a Large at Walmart but honestly I know I'm really an Extra Large in most things, especially the tops. But I could get away with saying it is Large since i only shop there. It's not really a true weight I am giving, so you can'y feel bad because people of the same weight say they wear a different size. It could merely have to do with where they shop. I have a friend who was telling em his wife is usually a 4 or so. There is one shop though where the sizes are weird and she is listed as a 0, so she shops there and can honestly say she wears size 0, even though in reality its a mis-sized size 4.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I often feel/wonder the same thing.
    I am 5'4" and weigh 239. I wear size 18 in most clothing items. I have a couple 16s and still have a sz 20 that fits. I wear L/XL in tops.

Sometimes I don't get how someone who looks bigger than me weighs 20 Lbs *less* than me?!?! I guess it's just where we carry our weight and how it sits on us?
    I try not to compare myself to others but it's hard lol
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 152 and I wear an 8. My friend is the same height and weight, and she wears a 12. I truly have no idea what the deal is, because her waist is smaller than mine and I have a straighter figure, though I have a longer waist and a bigger butt. What really baffles me is that, depending on brand, wear an extra-small, small, medium, large, and extra large. Maybe the size 8 is more about the brand I buy vs.what she buys. I think it MUST have something to do with shape, but that's just a guess...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's going to be a factor of where you carry your weight and your body compostion. at the same weight, someone with a higher body fat is going to be in a larger size than someone with the same weight but higher lean body mass.

i'm 5'5 and i've always had a pretty high amount of lean body mass so i tend to be 25-35 pounds heavier than what i look. i'm currently 195 pounds and wear a size 12. my weight is also distributed fairly evenly . last time i was 125 i was like a size 2 in pants but much larger in tops because of my chest.

it's also going to depend on the brands as well. some brands will do vanity sizing more so than others
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 210 lbs and fit into a size 14 today... I'm small in my hips, butt, and legs, but my gut is huge.... I dunno how I wear a 14 now, but I do. Normally a 16, started getting a bit loose so I said F it, why not buy a size smaller, if they don't fit now, they will.
  • AngelaKoder
    Options
    I know what you mean. My mother in law is 5 4 same as me. She is 130 and looks a little fat. She is a TINy bilt lady with little fingers and small feet ect. I wear a bigger size, have size 8 fingers sice 10 shoe, but look a lot leaner. Bone size really does matter. : )
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I wear my weight around my middle as well. I'm 5'4" and currently 230 pounds. I am also wearing a size 20 tightly, or 22 loosely (from lane bryant if it matters to you).
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Its all about density... one pound of fat takes up a lot more space than one pound of muscle. Therefore, two people who are the same height and weight but have drastically different body fat percentages will look completely different and wear very different sizes.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    it's all about body composition. everyone's different. I thought I'd be a size 1 or 3 at the weight I am now (95), but i'm a 5. A lot of girls I know weigh the same as me, yet have smaller clothing sizes, like a 00. There are even some girls who are the same height as me yet weigh more and are a smaller size. don't compare yourself, you're all you should be worrying about
  • PisceanDream224
    Options
    I definitely has something to do with body shapes, and bones, and of course, fat in different areas of the body. I am an hourglass shape with medium-small bone structure. I thought I was an apple for a long time because I have always carried most of my fat in my belly, but the more i slim down, the more I see how my hips and shoulders are closely proportioned, and how my waist is actually smaller than my hips. I have been overweight since 2002, and obese since I had my son a year and a half ago. My clothes fit me different before i got pregnant, since now my hips are wider. Even though I weigh less than I did at my highest pre-pregnancy weight, the same jeans I wore then don't fit me yet. I have even more fat in my belly because it was distributed to my lower abs the more my kiddo grew in my belly. Strange, but I also gathered more fat in my hips and rear then, too. I am shrinking, however, and can fit into my "highest" pre-preg jeans, but not the ones I wore the few months before I found out I was pregnant...

Also, I remember one of my dear friends when I was 13 could fit into a size 3 jeans, but I couldn't. She was a tad shorter than me, and bulkier, but her body was more straight than mine was, especially with the curves I had even as a preteen. I was actually a little jealous of it, but of course, it wasn't a big deal. I just realized that we are all shaped different, and some of us are not destined to fit into certain things even at our most fit, healthy times. :)