read a weird thing about skim milk...

Options

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

I don't know how old you are but have you ever considered what an excessive sugar load will do to your metabolism in the long term?

I'm 41, I can see that my poor dietary choices got me to where I was, and it wasn't just about calories in/out.

You are funny. I am 45 and as you can see, am perfectly fine. I have also drank a lot of milk all my life. My metabolism is great and per my recent DEXA scan I have off the charts good bone density. Any other questions?

Yep what are you doing later....you know after shredding the clueless?
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don'tdrink it for the low cals, more so because wholemilk f***s my stomach all to pieces. Always has. But this is interesting....research must be done!
  • dougt333
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to Dr. Oz. However, just to make y'all mad (cuz, I like to), I drink whole milk, always have, always will. I have no problems with it. I'm building muscle mass without a problem, my belly is shrinking, and it fills me up.

Win
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    okayyyyyy....sara and vim, in a way you do agree. He drinks whole milk/cream and you drink whole milk. You both enjoy real food......as do I.

* I do drink whole milk daily.
  • RickBriggs
    Options
    Skip meat. Skip dairy. Heal the Earth. Live long and prosper.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    okayyyyyy....sara and vim, in a way you do agree. He drinks whole milk/cream and you drink whole milk. You both enjoy real food......as do I.

I drink skim usually. I am not what his point was.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don'tdrink it for the low cals, more so because wholemilk f***s my stomach all to pieces. Always has. But this is interesting....research must be done!

This happens to me too! Anything with cow fat in it does, actually.

I like skim milk. It tastes good. It has a lot of nutrients I otherwise wouldn't get.

Saying that skim milk is fattening because a cup has ~13g of sugar in it is like saying any fruit is fattening because of all of the sugar in it...

And dear lord, sugar is NOT evil. Some people (like myself) require enough to avoid getting to hypoglycemic. Diabetics need it to avoid, you know, DEATH sometimes.

BUT, there is a point to be made. Typically speaking, fats + proteins help most people feel full with less. Think about the difference between eating ice cream and eating an egg.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

I drink skim usually. I am not what his point was.

sorry, my mistake.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    yeah...turns out it's not FAT that made me fat....it was sugar. i quit milk, except for some heavy cream in my coffee...and it's so wonderful:D
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This. Plus sugar does not make you fat. Eating at a calorific surplus makes you fat. In fact skin milk is less likely to make you fat because it has less calories.

Sorry, but that part of the article gets a big ole fail.

I don't know how old you are but have you ever considered what an excessive sugar load will do to your metabolism in the long term?

I'm 41, I can see that my poor dietary choices got me to where I was, and it wasn't just about calories in/out.

Well I don't know about you but the reason I got fat had everything to do with the fact I could not stop shoveling food into my pie whole. Either that or I have defied the laws of physics cause somehow or another I have lost 311 lbs. without track one single gram of sugar or sodium for that matter. OP... I to call bs on this, even though I prefer 1 or 2%, skim milk is still low in calories and has plenty of protein. It all good uless you just don't drink dairy.... Best of Luck....
  • ReyneDrop
    Options

Well I don't know about you but the reason I got fat had everything to do with the fact I could not stop shoveling food into my pie whole. Either that or I have defied the laws of physics...

You are one of my new heroes.
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    sandhillsmom,

THANK YOU for being the voice of SANITY on the skim milk issue!

(of course, being a teacher, you want to help folks see the TRUTH of the matter!)

:happy: janie
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I like skim milk. It tastes good. It has a lot of nutrients I otherwise wouldn't get.

Saying that skim milk is fattening because a cup has ~13g of sugar in it is like saying any fruit is fattening because of all of the sugar in it...

And dear lord, sugar is NOT evil. Some people (like myself) require enough to avoid getting to hypoglycemic. Diabetics need it to avoid, you know, DEATH sometimes.

BUT, there is a point to be made. Typically speaking, fats + proteins help most people feel full with less. Think about the difference between eating ice cream and eating an egg.

Actually not all Diabetics, I don't track sugar whatsoever just concentrate on my carbs, proteins, and fats. Now for me and my diabetes it comes down to the kind of carbs I am eating....
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Just buy whole milk and water it down. Tadaa!!! Skim milk without all the extra sodium, sugar, and extra hormones!
  • ReyneDrop
    Options

Actually not all Diabetics, I don't track sugar whatsoever just concentrate on my carbs, proteins, and fats. Now for me and my diabetes it comes down to the kind of carbs I am eating....

Hence the "sometimes." I have found it's much more common in Type I diabetics, especially when they're younger.

When a diabetic goes into a diabetic coma, regulation is to give 15 g of sugar to try to spike the blood glucose back up to a functioning level. Many diabetics are a normal weight and want to participate in a "normal" life that doesn't revolve around being anal about their foods, and sometimes the insulin dosage is a bit off and they develop beginning hypoglycemia. When you're in that position, what are you going to do? Have some sugar to spike it back up to where you can function again or eat some whole-wheat toast and wait before you start to feel better, potentially missing out on a fun day? When properly managed it doesn't happen, but growing up one of my friends was a type I and she *had* to have some sugar in the morning to get her blood sugar back up to a functioning level. It would also happen during school.

I'm not saying ALL diabetics NEED simple sugars CONSTANTLY. I'm simply saying it isn't evil and has its uses, especially for diabetics.

And while I'm not diabetic, recently some medication has been interfering with my blood sugar. It gets pretty low- I can tell because of how sick I feel when I don't eat after a while (like overnight or during longer labs- I can't eat every 3 hours all the time)- and while I'm 5 hours away from my Dr going to college, I'm going to use sugars such as those from raisins to avoid feeling shaky, sick, weak, and distracted. Nothing wrong with that. I'm perfectly healthy in other areas (besides some stubborn stomach fat that is due to genetics, mostly, and the fact that my Dearest Significant Other and I like to go out on dates frequently).

I'm also perfectly aware that some people don't use sugars responsibly and spike their blood sugar only to have it fall and they end up feeling like ****. I'm also perfectly aware that some people are more genetically prone to this than others. If you don't eat a lot of sugar and it makes you feel better, great! But my point is that it is basically a necessity for several other people.

Nutrition is hardly ever a "one size fits all" thing.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Skip meat. Skip dairy. Heal the Earth. Live long and prosper.

I'll do my part this weekend when I thin the deer population. I'm keeping the population in check and I get to eat yummy venison! Win!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i wondered about this because i've gotten so much flack from atkins lovers over the years for my love of nonfat milk, so at work (starbucks) i compared all our milks. nutritionally speaking nonfat and whole milk were about the same when it came to sugar and nonfat only had 1 more gram of protein, the best value (calories/protein/sugar) was actually 2%. it had more protein, same amount of sugar or maybe 1 more gram (not a huge difference), and lower cals than whole milk and only slightly more than nonfat.

my conclusion was that while i LOVE the texture of nonfat (i'm a weirdo i know), i'll be sticking to 2% so i can get my protein fix. totally worth it.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard this before. Interesting...But, I personally think Dr. Oz is a quack. :wink: However, this SORT of makes sense as some milk manufacturers put sugar sweeteners in skim milk to make up for the flavor profile that the fat gives to low or full fat milk. I drink 1% but I'm curious now to see what the sugar levels are when I go to the store next time JUST to see...

I'd like to know where you get skim milk that is sweetened. The only sweetener in any milk is Lactose and it occurs naturally. You can buy lactose free "milks," but they are not cow's milk. Oz is a quack.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Any reason to NOT drink skim milk is okay by me, but that's just because I think it's disgusting. :laugh:

However, I'm pretty sure that if you keep watching Dr. Oz for a couple more weeks, that'll be enough time for him to come back with a ton of data on why you should ONLY drink skim. He doesn't actually study the data he throws around -- he just has his minions gather it so he has new crap to spew every time he's on the air.

Hey -- what's that noise?? Does someone have DUCKS in here??
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    There is actually more lactose (milk sugar) pr. unit in skim milk than in whole milk. 4.8 grams in 100 grams of skimmed milk vs 4.6 grams in 100 grams of whole milk, according to the official nutrition table in two Scandinavian countries. This makes sense, as the other contents of the milk will be more concentrated, when you remove the fat. There's for instance 3.3 grams protein in skimmed milk vs 3.2 grams in whole milk - so the protein content is slightly higher, too.

While this means people who claim skimmed milk has more sugar aren't exactly lying, their truth is so small it's silly. If you drink a whole liter of skimmed milk, you'll get 2 grams more lactose than a person who drinks a whole liter of whole milk. If that is a problem, your carb restrictions must be beyond extreme.