reduce my sodium intake.

Options
I am finding it extremely hard to reduce my sodium. Seems like everything I want has a high amount of it. Food ideas that can help me decrease it anyone?

Replies

• laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    fruits and vegetables. Also, processed and prepackaged foods tend to be high in sodium. Home cooked meals are generally better because you can monitor how much salt is in it.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Unsalted/raw nuts, though I have roasted &salted almonds & those are only 95g of sodium for 1/4cup....
    Fruits
    Veggies
    Peanut butter, though check labels. I use an organic salted one fromTrader Joes & it has 60g in 2 tbsp.
    Rice cakes, though check labels. I eat brown rice ones that are 35g per rice cake. I put pb & jelly on mine sometimes.
    Eggs aren't too bad depending on how low you're trying to go. Lots of protein.
    There are low sodium tuna packets out there.
    For a sweet tooth, I like Trader Joes dark chocolate almonds, no sodium there!
    Popcorn, can pop yourself in a brown paper bag or buy packaged, just check labels.

Also, cans of low sodium beans. Or buy dry ones & soak overnight, that way you control how much you want to put in.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeals, or oatmeal in general, have saved me from going over! Lots of varieties you can make with those. I eat them for lunch sometimes too.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I typically don't get enough sodium day to day, and I don't even eat super "healthy" all the time- I just eat what I feel like eating :P I think my food logs are open so you can see what sorts of things I fill up on. I just avoid processed meats (really, any meat) and don't salt my foods.

Also consider upping your potassium intake instead of focusing solely on restricting your sodium!