Best self defense/ fighting course?

Options
I'm not even sure what to call it. I want to take a course and am overwhelmed by the choices: kickboxing, regular boxing, karate, tae kwon do, krav maga, aikido, MMA, jiu-jitsu. I theoretically know the differences but I guess i'm not sure which one would be best. My aim isn't really self defense but I would consider that a bonus. Mainly I just want a fun new workout routine. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on equipment or stuff like that. Do you guys have any experiences? What is your favorite? Have you tried more than one? Help would be greatly greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga is designed with self defense in mind.

Sport fighting would probably be the next most useful... like muay thai + ground work. Plus it's fun. But even a skilled fighter would avoid rather than fight.

I learned absolutely nothing in tae kwon do that I would try to pull off in self defense.
    Muay Thai helps you take hits, plus teaches you some good functional stuff. Still, I'd hate to have to use it. The bad guy doesn't play by your same rules and there might be more than one of him.

Haven't done Krav, but it has a reputation.
  • JessieMay90
    JessieMay90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What type of reputation? I feel like that one is the most mysterious to me
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    What type of reputation? I feel like that one is the most mysterious to me

As being a fantastic self-defense option.

I'm not sure how yo ufind a GOOD one though. Ask around locally. Quality of instruction is everything.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    There are no "good" martial arts, only good teachers.

You also have to find a flavour that you "click" with. Krav Maga has a reputation of being straight forward, brutal and effective. It gained that reputation because it is those things. However, this kind of martial art appeals to one person, it may not appeal to you. You may turn out to be an Aikido person, or Wing Chun, or Muay Thai.....

The best advice you can get is to try out a few different classes. Most places offer a intro for free. Remember you'll be joining a community, led by a teacher/instructor doing a specific activity. You need to like/respect/have confidence in the teacher/instructor. You need to like/feel the vibe in the class. You need to like the Martial Art. Only a bit of experimentation on your part is going to get you the answers you need.

As to "fun".... well, I'm not sure they're meant to be fun - perhaps enjoyable is a better word. Good old fashioned character forming!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I trained in Wing Chun (詠春), a Chinese martial art which can be studied at many levels, and provides a good foundation for self-defence. It is the art practiced by the late Bruce Lee...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure what to call it. I want to take a course and am overwhelmed by the choices: kickboxing, regular boxing, karate, tae kwon do, krav maga, aikido, MMA, jiu-jitsu. I theoretically know the differences but I guess i'm not sure which one would be best. My aim isn't really self defense but I would consider that a bonus. Mainly I just want a fun new workout routine. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on equipment or stuff like that. Do you guys have any experiences? What is your favorite? Have you tried more than one? Help would be greatly greatly appreciated :)

I would probably go the MMA route if a workout is what your after. Krav Maga is great for self defense but it's meant to be short and brutal so you really don't get as much of a workout. MMA will combine kickboxing and jiu jitsu so it can be used for self defense but it's also a great workout. My opinion take some classes and find which one suits you best.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options

You also have to find a flavour that you "click" with. Krav Maga has a reputation of being straight forward, brutal and effective. It gained that reputation because it is those things. However, this kind of martial art appeals to one person, it may not appeal to you. You may turn out to be an Aikido person, or Wing Chun, or Muay Thai.....

The best advice you can get is to try out a few different classes. Most places offer a intro for free. Remember you'll be joining a community, led by a teacher/instructor doing a specific activity. You need to like/respect/have confidence in the teacher/instructor. You need to like/feel the vibe in the class. You need to like the Martial Art. Only a bit of experimentation on your part is going to get you the answers you need.

As to "fun".... well, I'm not sure they're meant to be fun - perhaps enjoyable is a better word. Good old fashioned character forming!

This is great advice.

Even different classes of the same style can appeal to different people, we have instructors who are very fitness oriented, technically orientated, etc.

I would recommend looking at Krav Maga - out of the style it is the only one not a "martial-art" it is purely designed for self-defence.

Most techniques are derived from instinctive reflexes so are easy to use under stress. Unlike other styles I have trained in, KM puts massive emphasis on prevention, tactical and situational awareness to avoid an attack in the first instance - the logic is that if you have to actually defend yourself - you probably missed something earlier on.

That said, if you do have to fight, you FIGHT and fight hard and dirty.

Just beware that there are a lot of imitators claiming to be Krav Maga that aren't, you want to make sure the club/school is affiliated to one of the main organisations; in the UK we have IKMF and KMG.

As for fun - sure it's fun! I normally come away from a session dripping in sweat, aching and grinning like an idiot :happy: all helped by the fact it's part of how I have lost 31lb/14kg since May.

HTH
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would probably go the MMA route if a workout is what your after. Krav Maga is great for self defense but it's meant to be short and brutal so you really don't get as much of a workout. MMA will combine kickboxing and jiu jitsu so it can be used for self defense but it's also a great workout. My opinion take some classes and find which one suits you best.

This is very instructor dependent - one of my Krav instructors put it like this... "We're training you to put someone down and then run away - what's the point if you can't run?

I wore a HRM to a couple of sessions where I knew it would be safe (letting the instructors now) and I was coming away with approx 700 calories per hour! :smile:
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga and / or Kapap...
  • LupaNera
    Options

And good or bad students. You need passion and commitment. It is not an average fitness class you need to focus and learn and try and retry!
    And as others told here it depends on your personality. I found myself loving krav maga after doing some judo (just a few months) as a kid. It is just me! Calm in normal circumstances and giving 110% when needed.
    And rogh training. I am actually a first level trainer now and looking forward to get better!
    But you have to find a good teacher and to give it a try. You can just love it at the point when injury doesn't stop you or just hate it.

Edited to add: if you are looking for self defense lessons to burn some extra cals you are starting with the wrong motivation. It is true if done properly it is one of the hardest workouts you will have but this is pointless because it is in fact much more and phisical prep is only a small part.