Eating before exercise

Options
I hear opposing sides of this debate all the time and i just don't know what to do for the best!!!!!!

Firstly some say exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach as this prevents cramping and uses body fat for energy instead of just glycogen stores. I do this- mostly because i very rarely feel like eating in the morning but i prefer to workout first thing so i can get other things done throughout the day.

Then others say ALWAYS eat before exercise as failure to do this will result in muscle being used as energy.

So which is right? Have i been wasting my muscles away by doing what i've been doing?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you do what makes you feel good.
    Some people find they have more energy with something in their stomach and have a better workout.
    Others feel sick with food in their belly so it doesn't work for them.

Don't make it more complicated that it needs to be, I really don't believe that you've "wasted" a workout if you ate/didn't eat immediately before or afterwards.

For me - I don't need to eat if it is a shorter workout, though I seem to run better after a coffee.
    For longer runs (one or two hours) I really need to eat something, I'll usually have toast and peanut butter and fruit and a coffee.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response! I ALWAYS have coffee before i do ANYTHING else in the morning lol. Generally my workouts are short-ish (30-40 mins). I do always eat something directly after a workout though.

I have tried eating about 30 mins to an hour before a workout in the past but i find i get a sore stomach and have to abandon my activity early. I'm just worried now that i'm going to lose only muscle and no fat by doing this.
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I did a weight loss consultant course through college and they say to exercise in a fasted state (first thing in the morning or 2-3 hrs after you last ate) and that way your body will burn fat. If you struggle to make it through your workout because of fatigue, eat something small, like a small banana etc before you start. The trick is to eat a protein food with in 1 hr of exercise to assist in muscle repair and maintenance. :-) I do my workout 1st thing too.
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    An issue with exercising in the morning before eating, is that most people have lower blood sugar in the morning. If you have low blood sugar and try to work out, it can make you feel really crummy!
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm on meds which make my appetite insane, I can eat breakfast at 8.30 and by 10am I'm ready for a 3 course meal I'm so hungry so I have worked out I need to exercise about 3-4pm. I have IBS and when I eat it takes forever for me not to feel queasy after meals so if I have lunch at 11am (i know its early) then by 3pm my lunch has settled and I can exercise without feeling too sick. I think its down to personal preference I don't think you should exercise on a totally empty stomach, also I like to drink a pint or so of water about an hour or 2 before I exercise then if I push hard I don't get sick as much.

That makes it sound like I spend my life feeling queasy which is true really lol. Sorry.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Personally, I take some whey protein mixed in with some milk and a little L Tyrosine about 30 minutes before starting. Since doing so, I've managed to push harder during training (although I couldn't tell you if that's the Whey, the milk, the l tyrosine, or all of them!). It works though!

I think something light and quick is good just before training. Definitely not a full meal though.
  • IrishDaveRed
    IrishDaveRed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This article is quite an in depth answer to your question but I found it very useful in helping me understand the amount of energy that was stored in the body and when and how the body needs nutrition.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/hnt/1279/

Also, when the head of the Team GB Cycling team was asked on Radio Four what his one tip for the general public would be he answered by saying we should do one "carb deprived" work out per week as it improves the bodies efficiency at breaking down fat for fuel. He said the Team GB cyclists all did one carb deprived work out per week.
  • LupaNera
    Options
    I usually have breakfast one hour and a half before going to gym. And I drink just half a cup of milk instead of the usual full cup. I discovered that too much milk makes me sick. And eat for example 2 slices of bread with cheese and some almonds. But never eat right before otherwise I end feeling sick.
  • lauraellen101
    Options
    Hi Jo,

I do a lot of exercise so this is something very important to me, as well. As a rule, I don't exercise on a completely empty stomach and especially not if I am feeling tired or hungry. As you probably know, exercising when you are not feeling your best can be counter productive and dangerous for your body, plus you won't be performing to a good standard.

I judge it by how I'm feeling that day and at that moment. If I finish work at 5 and want to go for a run, I will eat something little, like an apple or a banana, to give me energy. Then I'll come home and have my dinner. Running on a full stomach isn't good either as it can make you feel lethargic.

The best thing to do is think ahead about when you are going to exercise and when you are meant to be eating. Ask yourself if you have enough energy to exercise well, if not then eat something light. :)
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump