I HAVE NO KITCHEN!

Options
SO my kitchen is under a full remodel - and I mean EVERYTHING. There is not a single appliance or even a counter top to work on. And this is going to be my reality for at least a week - what should I do? I simply cannot eat out all week, my waist line and my wallet would be obliterated! Advice? Ideas? HELP!

Replies

• pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I went through something similar recently. For the time being we used a cooler and a little table top electric stove. Meals consisting of lots of salads, and canned beans in one pot dishes.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Do you have a kettle? You could torture yourself and do cup soups for a week, or - what I would do - cook at a friend's house. It's more fun, too, and you can make healthy choices and be social :) Hope that helps!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Can you set up a mini kitchen in another room? As long as you have a table top you can plug in your microwave and a George Foreman. Use the steamfresh bags of frozen veggies, grill meat or fish, you can microwave sweet potatoes or normal potatoes, eat salads, get the ready made bags if you have to.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave? If so, put it somewhere else, and you have a chance to heat and cook stuff. Same with an electric water heater, for tea, coffee, etc.

It's just a week or two, you can put your cutting board on the floor for salads, wash the dishes in a bucket in the bathroom, make your oatmeal and omelet in the microwave. Pretend you are hiking through the Himalayas or hiding out to avoid being discovered by orcs, or whatever. (Although then you have to pretend your microwave is a fireplace. Perhaps too much of a stretch of imagination?)
  • MaryPhilomena
    MaryPhilomena Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That was me earlier in the year - we had a mixture of take outs, restaurant meals, BBQ & salads. Good luck andf hope your new kitchen is everything you want it to be :D
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    That was me earlier in the year - we had a mixture of take outs, restaurant meals, BBQ & salads. Good luck andf hope your new kitchen is everything you want it to be :D

BBQ! I'm an idiot! Why has that not occurred to me?! I CAN COOK! WOO HOO!
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    BBQ idea sounds perfect for meat etc and salad if possible.

I'll be in the same situation from 8th October for 8 -10 weeks :(
  • sphenisciforme
    Options
    I have been in this position a couple of times, and got through it with a microwave, a tabletop electric ring, and a slow cooker borrowed from a friend. It can be done with a little ingenuity, and you don't have to eat much differently to the way you do with a kitchen. We have lent out the electric ring to kitchen-less friends from time to time, so it might be worth asking around to see what your friends and relatives have tucked away.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I had no kitchen for three months a few years back. You'd be amazed what you can cook in a microwave - I even found techniques for bacon and stir fries :laugh: I bought a propane camping stove later too.
  • hurricanehodz
    Options
    I have just been through all this (my kitchen still isnt finished! lol) but its usuable. I cooked alot of brown rice and pasta and portioned it all in sandwich bags ( no washing up) plastic utensils and paper plates are a must! Portioned chicken, soup,chili, that you can just bung in the microwave. Oh and paper cups were useful as i was constantly making tea and coffee for the builders, hope this helps a little
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    An electric fry pan, a toaster oven, a BBQ, a toaster, a crock pot, a kettle, a microwave, all of which can be plugged in another room....who can't cook?
    I lived like this an entire summer and with kids and my sister and brother in-law living here. We did dishes in the bathroom sink.. or used paper plates. No problem.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation so I understand. I do have the Foreman Grill, a lettle, a rice cooker and an AirFryer though. Oh and a steamer. I don't have a microwave, I sooooo want the microwave but then I don't want to carried 16kg microwave back home when the house is finish remodeling. The toilet/cleaning area where I live is also dirty and looks unhygienic. :(

If you can, get the airfryer, it is more versatile tool, probably more than the Foreman Grill does. :\
  • dominikaro
    Options
    buy a roastet chicken/ cottage cheese/ smoked cheese/ turkey ham + redy cut salad + some baby spinach and make a salad. Dress it with olive oil and its ready to eat. For something warm, go for a veggie soup in a restaurant.