Getting over fear of working out in public

Options
2»

Replies

• FLCullen
    FLCullen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've heard this before, and I used to be too self-conscious to be running otuside. But then one day i saw a woman who was considerably larger than me (and you!) running by my bus that was stuck in traffic, and I didn't laugh at her, I didn't judge her, I didn't think she looked stupid. Actually, I felt a bit embarassed that I was sitting on public transport and had been putting off running outdoors for so long. It's worth remembering that like-minded people who just want to be fit and make the most of their bodies are not going to pass rude comments or judge you- it's much more likely that they will see you asan ally in fighting fit! Either that, or they think 'there's another runner', and probably don't pay much notice at all! Anyone that makes negative remarks at someone, regardless of their size, is ignorant and obviously is not concerned with the obesity epidemic. Keep these things in mind when you go exercising in public: No one cares, ad if they do, they're probably an a**hole!

Good luck with your Couch-5k!
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've just started C25K too, as well as a Zumba class. Oh my goodness, how self-conscious do I feel walking down the road in exercise clothes? But actually, I've got some friends who go to Zumba too - it's a small group, and we all laugh together at how many mistakes we make, or how hard some of the routines are. It's good to know I'm not alone. And for the C25K programme, since I live out in the countryside, I take the dog out with me and take the paths through some of the fields. There's a way to go before I'll stop feeling self-conscious, but I tell myself that there's nothing to criticise - at least I'm out there making the effort...

And hey, I used to go to the gym before work, in the days before children came along, but my boss used to go there too. I figure if I could cope with him seeing me all sweaty in my workout gear, then face him in the office an hour later, then I can cope with strangers who I'll never see again...!
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    with regards to the gym I used to feel this way but to be honest if poeple are at the gym they are usually concentrating on what they are doing to look at you (if not then why are they at the gym) JUst remember that your there to work out and people should repect that no matter how big you are
    One gym I went to there was a regular that was over 30 stone - I worked out on the same days as him and he recognised me and we got talking one day - I can honestly say that until that point i had noticed him because I was soo busy with my own workouts and whn I did I had more of a 'good for you' attitude than 'what are you doing here'
    People work out to get fit and/or loose weight so it shouldn;t matter how you look just now
    xx