Crop Tops at the Gym

Options
fionarama
fionarama Posts: 788 Member
Hi
I have long been envious of georgeous toned girls who get to wear crop tops when they work out. It was one of my goals so its a reflection of how I feel and where I'm at now that I wear them a lot when I work out.
BUT I went to my new gym the other day and got like totally bailed out by THREE of the gym staff apparently its not gym policy to allow the wearing of crop tops. They were extremely rude about it, I missed my spin class as a result as I wasn't interested in wearing the horrible tshirt they handed me and expected me to wear in place.
I've never come across this before but then I've never felt confident enough before to wear a crop top to the gym. (plus I was living in England and it was too cold!). What does everyone else think? Is this normal for a gym to ban women wearing crop tops?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'm an instructor and we are specifically told not to wear them. Occasionally I see members wearing them, but not often. Just save it for your runs or for the beach.
  • dub101
    dub101 Posts: 325
    Options
    Not here in the US by me it is not. Sorry this has happened you look great you should be proud
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the actual problem is. Is someone going to injure themselves from perving too much. What a confidence crusher.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    I don't see that as fair. I feel if you are confident you should wear what you want. As long as the goods are covered. I mean its okay for men to work out in shirts that are completely open on both sides?
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    pls dont pelt me with rocks? whats a crop top? guessing some sort of low cut shirt...so if u got a shirt on who cares. if that is the case and ur showing some cleavage??? oh my god the world is going to hell... if one of the girls happens to fall out..damn you just condemed the world to hell..lmao.. but knowing me..im probably going on bout the wrong thing..lol
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    pls dont pelt me with rocks? whats a crop top? guessing some sort of low cut shirt...so if u got a shirt on who cares. if that is the case and ur showing some cleavage??? oh my god the world is going to hell... if one of the girls happens to fall out..damn you just condemed the world to hell..lmao.. but knowing me..im probably going on bout the wrong thing..lol

You know that causes earthquakes, right?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Most "Serious" gyms ban what they consider inappropriate attire. The goal is to WORK-OUT, NOT Look-Out...and a serious gym wants to keep a good reputation as well as try to make everyone feel comfortable (remember how YOU felt when YOU did not feel confident enough to wear a crop top and saw others that did). A little empathy goes a long ways.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    pls dont pelt me with rocks? whats a crop top? guessing some sort of low cut shirt...l

short top- shows the abs, bares the belly, etc.
    -- I wish I was that confident! GO you (to the OP)

(I ony dare to bare my belly when out of the country and people don't know me, I could never show my belly to people who see and talk to me on a regular basis. I am a wimp. editted because I feel weird saying I don't like showing my stomach and have just changed to a stomach picture today..LOL) )
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    No need to wear them. I don't see the big deal.
    Just want to wear one to show off? o.O
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Is it a private gym or a large chain gym?
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I would have said the same thing once upon a time. But now, when I'm sweaty, I hate having a t-shirt on. I hate doing pushups or lifting weights in a t-shirt. I just hate the way it feels. I work out at home, so it doesn't matter if I'm only wearing a sports bra. I would be too shy to wear a cropped top in public, even if I rock it.
    But I can understand completely why some girls would want to. Even if it's not for comfort and only to show off their hard work.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    My gym has a whole slew of rules on what not to wear, crop tops included. The also say no cut off tshirts for guys (you know, the ones where the sides are cut too), not wearing shorts shorter than mid thigh, jeans, sandals, etc. etc. etc. Whether or not these rules are totally enforced, I'm not sure, but they're posted everywhere.

My gym partner and I joke around about the fact that studs aren't allowed. Sounds like a bad pickup line, "Gym rules state that no studs are allowed, so how'd you get in :wink: "
  • ToughTulip
    Options
    I would have said the same thing once upon a time. But now, when I'm sweaty, I hate having a t-shirt on. I hate doing pushups or lifting weights in a t-shirt. I just hate the way it feels. I work out at home, so it doesn't matter if I'm only wearing a sports bra. I would be too shy to wear a cropped top in public, even if I rock it.
    But I can understand completely why some girls would want to. Even if it's not for comfort and only to show off their hard work.

For comfort I totally understand. When I workout at home I always do so in just my sports bra.
    In public though, I think the rules change. Just my personal opinion.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It's the gym, put some damn clothes on.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

For comfort I totally understand. When I workout at home I always do so in just my sports bra.
    What about wearing a bikini to public pools? Totally unnecessary to swim in a bikini--a one-piece works just fine for swimming. The gym I used to go to had a pool. Women wore bikinis in there.

Apparently it's more common for gyms to have "dress codes" than I realized. I'm just trying to understand the logic of why a *gym* atmosphere is not an appropriate place to wear *gym attire* that happens to show your abs. Most of the workout dvds I've owned have featured women wearing cropped tops. In my hubby's running magazines, pretty much all the women are wearing cropped tops in the pictures. And (gasp) running down public streets that way!
    Oh, well. I guess whoever owns the place gets to make the rules.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

What about wearing a bikini to public pools? Totally unnecessary to swim in a bikini--a one-piece works just fine for swimming. The gym I used to go to had a pool. Women wore bikinis in there.

Apparently it's more common for gyms to have "dress codes" than I realized. I'm just trying to understand the logic of why a *gym* atmosphere is not an appropriate place to wear *gym attire* that happens to show your abs. Most of the workout dvds I've owned have featured women wearing cropped tops. In my hubby's running magazines, pretty much all the women are wearing cropped tops in the pictures. And (gasp) running down public streets that way!

One word, marketing. Sex sells. Would you look twice at any exercise video with fully clothed people on the front? If there was a photo of some middle aged women in head to toe track suit would you buy it? Or even give it a second look?
  • ToughTulip
    Options

Bikini's are socially acceptable. I don't think crop tops at the gym are (because of restrictions like the OP's gym). Because of that I think that many feel awkward or uncomfortable seeing it. I personally don't, but I just don't see a need for it.
    A lot of women get ridiculed for wearing crop tops and sports bras to the gym. I hear it occasionally. They either pick apart her body, call them names (attention *kitten*), or other rude remarks. Another reason why I don't find it socially acceptable. Many women cannot mind their own business xD

Magazines and work out videos are trying to sell their product. So of course they are going to have them in less clothing. In the real world it is not the same.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I see a load of chicks wearing crop tops and sports bras to the 24 hour fitness gyms in my state (Hawaii). One of them I used to go to was in the middle of the strip club district and girls would be working out in boy short panties and sports bras! Literally panties! They all had rocking bodies though. It was good motivation for me. Nothing more than that.
    I say live and let live but if your gym bans em, thats too bad.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    When visiting Hungry it seems common for people to just wear underwear in hot weather for daily activities.
    Visiting a historic Castle there was a girl (with a fabulous body) riding a horse in panties and bra.
    I was less impressed by the overweight (male) builders working on the roof of a house in just y-fronts.

The other day I was refused entry to a supermarket because I wasn't wearing a t-shirt.
    I didn't want to put it back on because I knew I'd start sweating a fair bit if I did.
    Security couldn't explain exactly what I would be allowed to wear (for instance a crop top, yes I did ask) or why the rule existed (one said hygiene, another common decency another "it's the rules, innit".).

So, on the hygiene bit; while I don't see that it could make any difference in a supermarket, in a gym you could reasonably be lying on machines. A blanket rule of 'no crop tops' (and similar for men) would prevent there being direct skin contact like that to the benches etc.

Sure I've seen plenty of crop tops in UK gyms and it not been a problem - mostly I'd have thought it'd be seen as a good advert for the gym, presuming it's ladies that justify showing off their mid-riff!
  • nigelicious
    Options
    You worked hard to get it, you should be able to show it off. Man, some people are fricken prudes.