Feeling disheartened :(

Options
Hi everyone, I started my diet on 16/1/10 and thought I was doing really well........... until I read some of the success stories on here. I work silly hours and sometimes dont get home till half 7 at night, by that time I have no motivation to exercise and all I want to do is sit down with my family and spend some time with them. I have a Wii fit and brought the Wii fit plus but only managing about half an hour each time at the weekends. I have a boring but really stressfull desk job so most of the time just jumping from desk to filing cabinets. Well anyway, I have only lost 4lb and Im in the later of my third week. I watch every single morsel I eat, weighing everything and logging everything on here. I am finding it hard to consume all of the 1200 calories each day so I am always under but trying hard not to be as I dont want to go into starvation mode. I remember in the past that when I did exercise I put more weight on too. I am really worried that I am gonna give up. I know its the exercise thats my problem but I thought I could compensate with the food intake. I need more hours in the day. I have read that some people on here have lost 5lb a week. I need some of that. Has anyone got any ideas for me please?

Replies

• deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    (You don't mention how much weight you want to loose.) The more excess weight you have, the faster those first few pounds will come off. But by the time you are down to needing to loose just a few pounds, the process will be slower. Try to not compare yourself with other posters, because your situation might be really different from their's. Set your goals, use the MFP site to help you find a safe and sustainable weight loss rate, and don't look at other's numbers (except to help them celebrate their successes!).
    Don't give up. Remember, "calories in, calories out". That is the foundation of weight loss. Good luck!
  • xxchicxx
    Options
    Thanks deedeehawaii. Im going to start a fresh and re-set my goals so that I have mini goals to reach instead of one big one that looks like a very large mountain to climb.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Don't EVER compare yourself to anyone else. You are not that person, you are YOU. You are doing a GREAT job. You have lost weight and have done it in a controlled and responsible manner. You take what time you can, watch what you eat, and you still have your sanity. Do you really feel like getting up at 4am or earlier to squeeze in a workout? Do you want to stay awake after everyone else has gone to bed for a second workout? Were you silly enough to sign up for a triathlon without a bit of knowledge and realize you have sooooo much to do before Aug? Oops! Sorry about kicking myself about my own stupidity. Take pride in what YOU have accomplished. Reach YOUR goals, and don't worry about reaching mine. Trust me I'll worry enough for both of us anyway. :noway: Keep doing what you can (it's working since you're losing) and take little steps to see if you can't increase. Don't try to do it all at once (it sucks trust me) and don't worry that you aren't doing as much as the lunatic next to you. Rock On Chic and don't worry if it's to a different tune than everyone else...:happy:
  • gillianwheeldon
    gillianwheeldon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am only losing about 1lb a week and very happy with that. Slow and steady is a great policy. Is there something you can do on your way to work to get some exercise? Walk another stop for example?
  • philssis
    Options
    I understand how you feel about finding time to work out. I also work until 7 or so and I've had to make the (painful) decision to get up and exercise first thing. I know I'm going to be drained at the end of the day, or just make it home to change clothes and work some more, gotta love a laptop! I walk my dogs at 4:45. Yes, AM. They are so excited to get up early and go - which is the ONLY reason why I drag myself out of bed. But that works for me because I like to walk outside and I love my dogs. Make time for 30 minutes of something you enjoy. Schedule time for YOU.

I think a pound a week weight loss is really normal, so you are right on track! Celebrate your success so far. Instead of focusing on "I wish I would have lost five this week", say "I've lost _ lbs - which is better than none!"

Best of luck! Keep your chin up!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    A pound or so a week is great weight loss. You are more likely to keep it off if you lose it slowly. Congrats that you have lost weight:flowerforyou: I wanted to give you a few suggestions for other ways to exercise. Have you considered taking walks during your lunch and/or breaks at work. 10 min here and there adds up during the day. What about a family game in the evening that involves exercise (tag, catch, basketball, balloon hitting, family walk, etc). You didn't mention how old your kids are but I bet you can find something that you all can do. If you watch any TV or movies, you can make up your own form of low impact aerobics to do during the show. Pick 10 different moves (march in place, side step, front kicks, squats, heel raises, etc) and do each for 1 min. Repeat 3 times and you have 30 min of exercise in. I often do this and my family tolerates it and even laughs at me as I am working out. You just need to be creative to get your exercise in using non-traditional methods. Good luck to you.