In Search of Vegan Mentor/Buddy

Options
I'm beginning the transition to going vegan and am at a stage where I eat one or half a serving of cheese or meat a day at most but everyone I know in every day life thinks I'm nuts for making this change. So I'm looking for a buddy/mentor/team to trade recipes, advice, vent, and get support from every once in awhile while I make the full change over. If it matter, I'm going vegan for 75% health related reason (not weight loss - but to beat my endometriosis and other internal issues) and 25% because I can't stand the idea of how animals are treated in the production of meat and I won't be a part of that. So if there's anyone out there to answer my occassional question and for support, please send a friend request or respond to this thread. I'm the only vegan I know and although I am very determined, it would be nice to find a couple others to make it just a little easier :)

Mel

Replies

• enid71571
    Options
    I was also wondering if there were other vegans out there to share ideas and recipes with. You can friend me if you want.
  • BoneZBabe
    Options
    Hey,
    I've been a Vegan for 4months now. I would love to share recipes and help to motivate and support other Vegans.
    Feel free to contact me :) I also know of some GREAT Vegan books that helped me on my journey to finding my Vegan self.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    There's a fairly active Happy Herbivores group that includes a range of veg*n or "plant strong" eaters.

Just about every major vegan cookbook author has a blog with recipes available to try. My favorite is Dreena Burton, I like her use of flavor and spices, as well as her cuisine fusion approach.

Also, if you lift weights, protein is going to be important (if you are a cardio type, protein numbers aren't so important) - tempeh and quinoa are some of the best plant based protein sources.

Cheese cravings tend to go away once removed from the diet, though I still take a whiff of the spouses melted chese every once in a while ... Daiya and other companies make (attempt to make) replacements.

Ask lots of questions, pay attention to how you are feeling, and how your skin is looking.
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Im a full time vegetarian, part time vegan (i slip up sometimes)
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    There is a group here called "happy herbivores" :)
  • GiGi_FIERCE
    Options
    go through all my blog posts. mostly veg/vegan recipes. the meat recipes (for my husband) can usually be modified for veg/vegan.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GiGi_FIERCE
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    I am not Vegan but i have recently went vegetarian (eating fish only at this time) . I am doing it for health reasons. while i am also an avid animal lover I do eat eggs (free range chickens only) and cheese. I love cheese! You can friend me if you like:smile:
  • graceful2002
    Options
    I've been vegan for a few years now, mainly due to animal compassion. The health benefits are a major plus though.

Like v70t5m said, all the major veg cookbook authors have blogs. My favorites are:

Isa Chandra Moskowitz (http://www.theppk.com/blog/)

Christy Morgan (www.theblissfulchef.com)

Alicia Silverstone (www.thekindlife.com)

I like chatting about all things vegan, so feel free to friend me!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan, and many of the people on my friends list are fantastic vegans or supportive of vegans. Feel free to friend!
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am not Vegan but i have recently went vegetarian (eating fish only at this time) . I am doing it for health reasons. while i am also an avid animal lover I do eat eggs (free range chickens only) and cheese. I love cheese! You can friend me if you like:smile:

I just wanted to say that vegetarians do not animals. A fish is an animal. Therefore you are not vegetarian by definintion. You are a pescetarian. Not meaning to come across as attacking, I am just pointing out a common misconception.
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I became vegetarian in April and went nearly vegan a month or 2 ago, but lately I've really slipped up and been lazy about eating meat/dairy. Today and this week mark a new beginning! I love to cook and chat about recipes, and don't have many friends on here, so I'd love to have more. :)
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'd love a buddy! Friend me :) I dunno about you but I'm in Texas and most all my friends don't understand why I want to be vegan. I once had a guy who doesn't even know me find out I didn't eat meat. He then proceeded to say it explained why I'm pale and thin...and I'm really athletic and tan. Misconceptions man...

I need some support too :)
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to be a buddy if anyone needs a hand with vegan recipes etc.

I try and complete my log most days so it should also provide you with some ideas and stuff should you require it.

-Dani.