I need motivation!

Options
I don't know what my problem is. I can not get motivated to go to the gym. Everyday I wake up and I bring my gym cothes to work and I say "today Im going to the gym right from work" but then as the day goes on I dont want to go and I know I need to force myself and just go until I get into the groove but I really just can't do it. I hate the gym. The one I go to, everyone from highschool goes there. All the popular skinny pretty girls and of course they all look the same and great so I dont like seeing them and I can only imagine what there thinking of me. "wow she gained weight" Im just insecure about going I guess. But I know I need to especially if I really want to loose at least 10 pounds in a little over a month. And especially if I continue to eat the way I have the last week.

Replies

• abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    Do you listen to your I-pod? Turn it up and block everything out. Make yourself a kickass music mix and just go hard. Think about the results rather than the present. It sounds trite but we've all been there. You have to really focus on the fact that this is for you and no one else. It just takes one really good work out to make you get addicted to them. Are you going today?
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Well I brough my gym clothes...but probably not. What kind of music helps you get motivated.
  • crystal013
    Options
    I say swtich gyms! I had that same problem at a gym right around the block from me....so I changed gyms and LOVE going! Try finding one with classes. It changes up the monotomy (I hope I spelled that right) and keeps you motivated and looking forward to going! And like abbie38 said turn up that iPod and block everyone out....I'm guilty for jamming out on the elliptical!
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    what kind of music do you like? I can send you a song list if you want, of good songs to download depending on what you like....
  • Dee678
    Dee678 Posts: 53
    Options
    Is there a way you could go early in the morning? My gym opens at 5 am. Fewer people are there and the ones that are seem to be a different type of crowd . . . but I also agree that an mp3 player can work wonders.

I enjoy hard rock, alternative, etc. On mine I have Mushroomhead, Godsmack, Cyrus (a local band), House of Pain, FLyleaf but I also throw in the few pop songs that make me wanna get up and dance (a few Fergie Songs, Cyclone by Baby Bash, etc) those are pieced out after a few of my other songs to give me a boost. WHen they come on, I increase the speed for as long as I can take it!

I got mine, a Sansa, on woot.com . . . they have them periodically. Refurbished, but I've had mine for years and it works great. COmes w/ the transfer cable. Mine did not come with a manual, but I downloaded on off of their site. For what I save on it and the length of time I've had it. It's not a huge deal if I have to by another one. I got the clip type for my husband and little boy at other times!

Good luck!
    Dee
  • dzneygurl
    Options
    Hi Erica-I know what your talking about and i needed motivation as well. I make workout dates with my friends so it forces me to get up and do them and everytime i do i am so glad that i went. my friends started going to this bootcamp and they invited me to join them and from day one i have been hooked...so on the days that i cant make it i am bummed but try to make a class later on in the day...having friends to workout with keeps all of us motivated...we encourage each other to go the extra step...it is great...so hopefully you can encourage your friends to join you...good luck and keep us posted...anna
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Why don't you go for a walk outside then? Everyone goes through a "slump". Can you cancel your membership and go somewhere else? It sounds like you don't have the modivation because of the girls at the gym. Can you go at a different time when they are not there - perhaps in the morning? I used to put a note on my refrigerator that stated, "If you don't want to eat healthy or go to the gym, then you just don't want it bad enough". You have to ask yourself, how bad do you want it? Those "pretty, skinny" girls go to the gym and that is why they look like they do. Staying away from the gym is not your answer. Go to the gym, show those girls, that hey, I might have gained weight, but at least I'm working on losing it!! We will all find a reason to NOT go to the gym, start thinking about reasons to GO to the gym! Good luck.
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Don't switch gyms - just running/hiding from the problem. they probably aren't thinking that - but even if they are use it as motivation. I'm quite a short guy and used to go to the gym regularly and got into a reasonably good shape and could lift heavy weights for my stature. now I'm back to square one and working hard again... there's big guys there posing and walking around as if they are king of the gym - but I just block it out and think - give me a few months n I'll be in better shape than you...

think about their faces when you're in better shape than them... why not go to the gym before work? that's what I do aswell...it's quieter, it boosts your metabolism for the day and makes you feel better about yourself for the rest of the day...then the evening is your own...

don't beat yourself up about it....I missed 2 days this week cos I couldn't get outta bes early haha
  • ritagr
    ritagr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just do it! When I need motiviation I simply click the button for completing the days entries and of course it tells me that in 5 weeks I'll be about 5lbs lighter. If I go back and add 45 of elliptical and "complete" again, it tells me that if every day were like that, in 5 weeks I'd be more like 10lbs lighter. If that's not motivation to exercise I don't know what is.
  • UCONNCOED
    UCONNCOED Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You have to know, that everyone has been there! I have the intention alll day of going to the gym and when I get home after work, i am completely exhausted. You don't know how many times I made an excuse to not go in the last month. I started "wanting to loose weight AGAIN" in January. And in reality I only actually made it to the gym 2x a week. And with the way I was/am eating, that obviously did nothing!! I have made a commitment to TRYYYY and really make this a habit, even if I am tired. Durring January, I never made it to the gym more than 3 times a week. My plan is to take it one day, and one week at a time. This week I already went 2x. Lets team up! Make it happen. Then you can say you had one week your proud of. Then make another mini goal for next week!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    what kind of music do you like? I can send you a song list if you want, of good songs to download depending on what you like....

I like upbeat music. DANCING music. It gets me pumped
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    Don't switch gyms - just running/hiding from the problem. they probably aren't thinking that - but even if they are use it as motivation. I'm quite a short guy and used to go to the gym regularly and got into a reasonably good shape and could lift heavy weights for my stature. now I'm back to square one and working hard again... there's big guys there posing and walking around as if they are king of the gym - but I just block it out and think - give me a few months n I'll be in better shape than you...

think about their faces when you're in better shape than them... why not go to the gym before work? that's what I do aswell...it's quieter, it boosts your metabolism for the day and makes you feel better about yourself for the rest of the day...then the evening is your own...

don't beat yourself up about it....I missed 2 days this week cos I couldn't get outta bes early haha

those guys at the gym actually make me laugh, Meat heads. lol i seriously just watch them and they prob think Im like checking them out..but no guys im laughing at you on the inside. lol SEE im just as bad. Im judging people!
  • Nicoladavo07
    Nicoladavo07 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same somethimes. I work in an office and in the morning i feel all motivated and ready for the gym and by time i am leaving work i just can't bring myself to go! But lately i have been forcing myself to go and i feel great. I have found by having a friend to go with has made it so much easier! Is there a friend that could go with you? I have also found that i enjoy going to fitness classes alot more enjoyable than going the gym is there any fitness classes you could go to that could give you as good a work out such as spinning?

As for the "pretty girls" in the gym you need to just focus on you and not worry what other people might be thinking! I bet they are not even thinking things like that anyway!

Not sure if these things have already been suggested as i havent read through all the posts sorry xx
  • bookepr
    Options
    I like to listen to 80's music when I work out. And I've noticed that I work out harder when I listen to music while I'm on a treadmill, elliptical machine or bike rather than listening to a tv show. Has anyone else noticed that? If I don't have a hard beat pounding in my brain when I'm working out, I just don't try as hard. If that doesn't work for you, just keep trying new things until you find something that does! And I agree...ignore all those skinny women from high school who you think may be judging you. You have more personality than them anyway!!!! YOU GO GIRL! :)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like your gym is populated by buttmonkeys. Why would you want to hang out with a bunch of buttmonkeys?

I don't do gyms, it just doesn't work with my schedule, and I'm always self conscious. I'm one of those "big guys" who walks around like I'm "king of the gym",,, (Ok, I don't, I just do my thing. But I have a big chest and little waist and I know what some people are thinking).

Anyways - gymming is hard enough to do with just the gym stuff. You have personal issues with the population of your gym. So why subject yourself to 2 sets of problems at the same time? Just find another gym where you don't know anybody - or just train at home. I lift weights and do elliptical and ride my bike and I get great exercise and I never set foot in a gym. Life's too short to deal with people who assume I'm an egomaniac and spend their time daydreaming about outdoing me somehow.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    awww Im sorry Casper0 lol. You can tell the guys that think there all that because theyy just cant stop looking at themselves in the mirror lol
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I hated going to the gym for the simple act of getting in my car and going. I invested in a treadmill and I'm back on it again. I'm back on the treadmill as of Jan 1, 2010 and I'm now jogging at 5 mph for 15 to 18 minutes. I then walk for 1 minute then jogging to finish my 1/4 mile lap and stop at the 2.5 mile.

Try going to a track and doing laps and usually see several others doing the same. Maybe walk or jog around the neighborhood and get to know more of your neighbors. Good Luck.
  • Dee678
    Options
    You have to know, that everyone has been there! I have the intention alll day of going to the gym and when I get home after work, i am completely exhausted. You don't know how many times I made an excuse to not go in the last month. I started "wanting to loose weight AGAIN" in January. And in reality I only actually made it to the gym 2x a week. And with the way I was/am eating, that obviously did nothing!! I have made a commitment to TRYYYY and really make this a habit, even if I am tired. Durring January, I never made it to the gym more than 3 times a week. My plan is to take it one day, and one week at a time. This week I already went 2x. Lets team up! Make it happen. Then you can say you had one week your proud of. Then make another mini goal for next week!
    Proud of your commitment! Keep up the good work!!!!
  • Dee678
    Options
    I like to listen to 80's music when I work out. And I've noticed that I work out harder when I listen to music while I'm on a treadmill, elliptical machine or bike rather than listening to a tv show. Has anyone else noticed that?
    Yes! I have noticed the exact same thing!!! I am hooked. Now I need to rip a bunch of my CD's so I can add more songs to my play list!
  • Dee678
    Options
    awww Im sorry Casper0 lol. You can tell the guys that think there all that because theyy just cant stop looking at themselves in the mirror lol
    Or the grunt and walk around like gorillas to draw attention to themselves. lol