Beer

Options
Damion72
Damion72 Posts: 531 Member
Day 2 of being on MFP. It's really addicting in a good way. I can now plan my most of my day to keep me on track with my eating. However, I'm trying to figure out how I plan for beer. I'm born and raised in WI, so II just can't give it up lol. Especially when all the cheer parents get together for a few beers while the girls are at practice or competition. I don't want to skip a meal just to have a few beers.
Any advice?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I drink beer/wine on the weekend, occasionally during the week but I always make sure I have enough calories, or I do an extra workout to fit a few in. Don't skip a meal to have a few beers, just park farther away when you pick the beer up, so you have to walk far :) hehehehe.
  • Damion72
    Options
    Like the parking idea! lol thanks.
  • allie_girl
    Options
    I think if you could limit yourself to one low calorie beer a day, and maintain the recommended goals, it shouldn't hurt you. If you're knocking back 4-5 beers a night, then thats 400-600 calories extra, which is excessive. Stay towards Guiness - it's actually one of the lowest calorie beers, despite its thick texture like chocolate milk (and it happens to be amazing!). :D
  • brynnflynn
    brynnflynn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what the other poster said--if you want it, you need to work for it. Just have one beer, and make it last and enjoy it.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Earn it.. I love beer as well, walk, quick 20 min circuit training, lower calorie meals throughout the day.
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Ahhh beer! Wonderful beer. if you want it...gonna have to work harder for it! But when you've busted *kitten* and you get to have the beer...its kinda worth it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of being on MFP. It's really addicting in a good way. I can now plan my most of my day to keep me on track with my eating. However, I'm trying to figure out how I plan for beer. I'm born and raised in WI, so II just can't give it up lol. Especially when all the cheer parents get together for a few beers while the girls are at practice or competition. I don't want to skip a meal just to have a few beers.
    Any advice?

eat a little less during the day, or exercise as you earn those cals back.

I drink anywhere from 5 to 10 beer a week, depending on what is going on and such. I just make sure it fits in my daily caloric intake.
  • Damion72
    Options
    FYI - Before I sound like an alcoholic.. lol we're only talking once or twice a week. But thanks for all the advice. I'm really loving MFP.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Walk or ride your bike to the beer store. Limit the total amount. I'm a big fan of beer, too, so I force myself NOT to drink unless I've had a workout that day. And then I make sure it's only one "good beer," and not 2 or 3 inferior quality.

I understand your pain, I'm near Chicago, and like many WI beers, Chicago area beers.....beer in general.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Only have booze out of your exercise calories. That way you get your full range of nutrition first.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Work out so you can intake more calories.
  • Lu_88
    Lu_88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Beer is so full of cals, maybe drink something else? I love a pint of lager but its ridiculous how many of my daily cals it uses up :( so now i drink rum and diet coke.
  • eduardoschoen
    Options
    I essentially gave up drinking since starting my transformation program. I used to have a daily beer or Sapphire and tonic. My nutritionist suggested I start drinking the ultra low-carb beers but I would rather just drink water than sacrifice my taste buds on those "fake" beers. :)

Every now and then I will have a "skinny margarita" at Chilis when I know I will have enough carbs left over for the day.

Good luck in your decision and in meeting your goals!
  • mluanne33
    mluanne33 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try MGD 64..low carbs and low calories...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I beer in only about 160 calories, you should be able to make it fit your intake and macros if you really want one. Just plan for it.
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    LO-CAL BEER AND BEFORE A WORKOUT EXTRA DO A FEW LAP WHILE THEY ARE PRACTICING. WHEN MY SON HAD BASEBALL PRACTICE I WOULD WALK THREE MILES WHILE THE OTHER PARENTS JUST SAT THERE.
  • trenley
    trenley Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Michelob Ultra is 95 calories. Not sure if it's the best beer, but I always grab that instead of my beloved Blue Moon, which is almost 200 calories!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    When I was into drinking I would just occasionally make room in my diet for it. Even if it took a 20 minute cardio session or something to create enough of a deficit.

If you typically drink american "beer" then you could always do MGD54 or Bud Select 55.
    If you actually drink real beer. Then just have one or two when you can make room. I personally think if I'm going to drink a beer, it should be one that actually has some taste. So I'll go ahead and have full flavored brew if I'm gonna drink.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I go to a pub quiz every Tuesday. To help stay on my calorie target I log the beer well in advance so that it's clear how much I can eat or need to exercise during the day.
  • eduardoschoen
    Options
    When I was into drinking I would just occasionally make room in my diet for it. Even if it took a 20 minute cardio session or something to create enough of a deficit.

If you typically drink american "beer" then you could always do MGD54 or Bud Select 55.
    If you actually drink real beer. Then just have one or two when you can make room. I personally think if I'm going to drink a beer, it should be one that actually has some taste. So I'll go ahead and have full flavored brew if I'm gonna drink.

Totally agree with this! :)