Running ... advice please

Options
Okay I don't run! never have, hate it, but I promised my boyfriend that after I did the 30DS I would start running with him (I'm on day 28!!!)

I tried running last year with a friend and I just couldn't do it so go put off, I understand that its one of those things that you have to build up to, but can anyone give me any advice on getting started, thanks :)

Replies

• jjwoods
    jjwoods Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Alternate between jogging and walking. Try doing a mile the first week, then do 1.25 the second week. Build up slowly! Good luck!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Look into a Couch to 5K program, they're fantastic.
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    If you do a search on this website for 'new to running' there are masses of threads with some great advice. I warn you, you'll need to set aside quite a bit of time to read them as there's loads! Good luck!
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend the couch to 5 k programme, it is brilliant. Don't start to fast, if you can run slower, you are running too quickly - I learnt that one the hard way! It starts with 5 min walk to warm up, 30 sec jog, then walk & repeat. Even 30 secs can sound/feel hard work to start, but stick with it, you'll be amazed at what you will achieve & can do within a few weeks. Definitely have the rest days in between & try to stick to the 3 session a week. Give it a go, you'll surprise yourself! All the best!
  • staling007
    staling007 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Google couch to 5k programs. It is a super easy walk-run program that anyone can do. I never ran...but 3 years ago I made a life change and decided to get healthy and fit and loved this program because it is very very doable. I ran my first 5k a few months after starting it, did my first half marathon a few months after that and ran my first marathon last year. When I first started with this program, I never thought I would ever run past the 5k distance but it's really a great feeling to accomplish a task like this when you set your mind to it. And that is what it is...all in your mind. Mind over miles. Your body can do anything you want it to...it's the mind that sets up the roadblock. The couch to 5k slowlywill slowly build up your run during 9-10 weeks and you can adjust it based on how you are feeling.

I strongly suggest getting a good pair of running shoes (I like asics) and treat yourself to a good "running" outfit. All these things will help you feel (and look) like a runner. Plus, a good pair of running shoes will spare you from injury because they offer the right foot support for the activity you'll be doing. If nothing else, just get yourself a good pair of running shoes.

Anyway, hope this helps. Keep in touch if you'd like! Good luck! :)
  • staling007
    staling007 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    And BTW...it doesn't matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the sofa!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend the Couch to 5k programme - I'm on week 3 (it's a 9 week thing). It starts off with running/walking intervals so you gradually get used to running for longer periods of time. Also, I recommend taking it very slowly, especially at first. If your boyfriend is already a runner, it's going to take a while to get to his level. I would think that if you try to keep up with him straight away, you might burn out. I would either make sure he's very willing to run at your pace while you are getting used to it, or do it on your own for a while, until you can build up your endurance.
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    Yipee my favourite topic! Seriously.. I came last every year in the school cross country and now I actually go for "fun runs". Never would have believed you if you'd told me I could run

There are loads of beginners programs on the net that are variations of "walk 4 mins run 1", etc and gradually building up so you can run for 20 mins non-stop.

I found it helped to keep a diary of my runs and how they felt. You have days when it feels soooo hard!! Then others when you feel good, like you could run for miles quite easily. I think ensuring you are well hydrated before you go helps to not feel lethargic. Also, I often find if I feel unmotivated at the beginning if I just push myself through I end up having a really good run.

Honestly, if you keep a habit of 3 - 4 times a week you will improve quickly (even if some days when you feel blah you only run for a couple of minutes and walk the rest - at least get out there).
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    Also! People always seem to say "run with a friend". For me at least - this is bull**** - much prefer going on my own so I can set my own pace according to how I feel on the day.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5K. I believe there are even apps available for it, if you like to go that route. Take it slow, and stick to it, you will be able to run a good distance, and even enjoy it, before you know it! I definitely recommend a good pair of shoes, they are worth the investment. Find a running specialty store in your area. They should be able to check the wear patterns on your current shoe, and watch you walk/run to determine the most suitable shoe for your style. As for running with a buddy- it's completely preference. If that's what keeps you motivated- go for it! Find yourself a local running group even. We have several in my area. I run with 2 different ones on different days of the week, and the other days, I run by myself. I like the variety. Running groups are also a great place to get more information. Runners around here are extremely friendly and willing to help out. I'm sure you'll find the same in your area. Good luck!
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.. I have a good pair of running shoes already they are climacool ones by nike ... I will deffo look in to this couch to 5k thing .. what exactly is it, is it something you listen to whilst you run?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There is an app, and podcasts you can listen to (not just the official one either) that tell you when to start running and when to start walking. Or, you can just look at the schedule for the day and remember, and use a watch to time yourself. There's a group on here that has lots of good tips and links: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Ah thanks I will check that out! :)
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    C25K is the best! I started it in May and I run 3-5 miles daily (well most days). Most runners will tell you its a love hate thing. The first mile or 2 is hard then your body relaxes and your lungs open up and its smooth sailing from there. Just getting to there sometimes is the real challange. Good luck!
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    I will add to the Couch to 5K comments.... this program is GREAT! I did it a year ago in order to work up to a 5K. I am NOT a runner. This program eases you into it.... I'm now working on the next phase - a 10K. Don't worry about pace - I am still slow like a turtle. :)
    Good luck!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If you have a mobile phone the Couch to 5k (C25K) is great. A year and a half ago I wasn't a runner either and I managed to run 10 k in May. It really is just a matter of building up slowly.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    C25K is awesome. I had never run before and the idea of running a mile was crazy to me. However, I started C25K and now I can run for 30 minutes straight. Now when you first start try not to get discouraged because it is NOT easy but it does get better. I could barely run a minute when I started. Seriously I would be checking my phone to see how long I had been running. It really does help! Good Luck!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If you have a mobile phone the Couch to 5k (C25K) is great. A year and a half ago I wasn't a runner either and I managed to run 10 k in May. It really is just a matter of building up slowly.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Another vote for couch to 5k. :smile:

Never ran any more than a quarter mile in my life, started C25K at age 38, and won my first medal for a 5k 9 months later.
  • PaulDagg
    PaulDagg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I don't usually post here but saw the word 'running' out of the corner of my eye when updating my tracker...

I help to coach a 'Couch to 5k' plan through my local running club, and the results have been stunning! We have around 30 ladies aged 20-40 who 'couldn't' run for 60 seconds just two months ago but who are now able to run for 25-30 minutes without stopping!

I'm so proud of their achievements and the great thing is that they've demonstrated that literally anyone else can do it too...

+1 for C25K!!!