Advice Please - Heavy Lifting at Home

Options
Hi MFPs! I want to start lifting heavy at home. I used to lift seriously but it was at a gym and it was many moons ago. I was actually a power lifter in high school but that was 13 years ago. These days I am a mom - I want a program that I can do at home and one that is budget friendly. What equipment is a "must have" at home? I have a variety of dumbbells all the way to 30 lbs. I'd like to create an effective lifting program. I'd prefer to do a full body program, 3x/week. Thanks!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Power rack, bench, olympic weight set should last you a long time.
    Stronglifts or Starting Strength for your program.

Found on craigslist, you can probably get most of this stuff far below retail.

If you have a power lifting history, then you know how important the big compound exercises are.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree, craigslist is your friend!
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    I have been stalking craigslist :)
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I started lifting at home about 3 months ago. I have dumbbells and plates that go up to 42 pounds each. I also got myself a good pair of lifting gloves. I have resistance bands too. I don't use them often, but sometimes I use them for hamstring curls and such because I do not own a bench.

I am now looking to purchase a barbell, a squat rack, and will shortly need more weight.

You should probably get a bench (I do not do chest work, so I have held off on this purchase).
  • alexandra0713
    alexandra0713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do my lifting at home. I have an Olympic weight set and my rack has supporters so I don't need a spotter. I use the Olympic set for compound lifts, then if I want, I can move on to dumb bells for isolation movements. I would recommend checking out stronglifts.com.