Coconut milk

Options
I opened a can of coconut milk yesterday and used about 1/4 of it in a stir fry. Does anyone know of any other ways I could use it up? I've only ever used it for stir fry and coconut cream pie (which I am not wanting to make today).

Can I put it in oatmeal? Make a dessert out of it with fruit? Anything suggestions would be great, I hate wasting food.

Thanks!

Replies

• Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I use coconut milk in my cereal, oatmeal and smoothies....also here are a few fun recipes that use coconut milk.
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/ingredient/coconut milk
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have also heard of it being used as a whipped topping (similar to whip cream) on fruit. I havent done this yet, but apparently if you whip it up with a hand blender, it will come out the same consistency as whip cream. Use full fat coconut milk.
  • HC82
    HC82 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks!

Omg that coconut lentil soup recipe looks sooo good!
  • HC82
    Options
    I have also heard of it being used as a whipped topping (similar to whip cream) on fruit. I havent done this yet, but apparently if you whip it up with a hand blender, it will come out the same consistency as whip cream. Use full fat coconut milk.

Interesting...I had no idea. This is light coconut milk though so it likely wouldn't work :(
  • jennm72
    jennm72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have heard of making rice with it by using the coconut milk in place of water. Haven't tried it, but plan to.
  • HC82
    Options
    I have heard of making rice with it by using the coconut milk in place of water. Haven't tried it, but plan to.

Oh yeah! I knew that and forgot. I wonder if you can do the same thing with steel cut oats...going to google now :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I just drink it.

Goes well in my coffee every morning.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 4oz greek coconut yogurt
    1 cup frozen pineapple

(..............rum to taste lol)
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I opened a can of coconut milk yesterday and used about 1/4 of it in a stir fry. Does anyone know of any other ways I could use it up? I've only ever used it for stir fry and coconut cream pie (which I am not wanting to make today).

Can I put it in oatmeal? Make a dessert out of it with fruit? Anything suggestions would be great, I hate wasting food.

Thanks!

Yes a splash of that or almond milk in oatmeal is great!!
  • HC82
    Options
    Is there a difference between the coconut milk that comes in a can and the kind that comes in carton?
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Curry! My favorite :)

Or this delicious dish from Kenya:

http://www.whats4eats.com/poultry/kuku-paka-recipe Love LOVE Kuku Paka...it's also a curry dish.
  • tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You can make fudge with it !
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Dairy free whipped cream, add it to coffee or tea, make sauces creamy, add it to smoothies.
  • sgpaschak
    Options
    I dilute it 1 in 4 (1 can coconut milk and 3 cans of cold water) and drink it in lieu of milk. I love to use it in shakes as well.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Bump