Ladies - On BC

Options
Okay so I saw another questiosn today about quiting birth control (BC) and feeling aweful. I was just thinking last night about throwing mine out! Now I'm kinda worried.

I'm on Aviane (very low dose) I know the pill doesn't make me gain wieight it's the food I eat. However, I do feel that personally it makes it harder to lose the weight when I do gain it. So there's no man in my life right now and I can deal with a few more cramps if it mean losing this stubborn last 8 pounds.

I feel like inthe past when i stopped taking the pill for a couple months I was able to lose weight. So for me this might help, and I was just wanting to see if others have taken a break and it helped them.

Replies

• pojinx
    pojinx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When i went off the pill (a low dose one as well) for about 6 months, I did not lose any weight but did not gain any either. However, I never had bad acne before or the terrrible periods and cramps that I got from taking a break from BC. It affects everyone differently, but be prepared for some major backlash from messing up the balance of hormones your body has found with BC.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know I have been on it for a long time. I actually take it because I used ot get cysts and I haven't had one of those for over 15 yeras I don't get bad cramps or acne or even bad PMS and usually when I take a break my cycles are very normal, and I don;t usually gain weight when I stop taking them so really the only reason I have been taking it the last 5 yeras or so was contraception. But since that's not an issue right now I thought maye I should give my body a break from the fake hormones.

Just wanted a little ancedotal evidence form others what happened when they took a break before I make my decsion.
  • livitup85
    livitup85 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am also on the low dose Aviane BC pill and I went off it for about 6 months after my ex and I broke up. I didn't see any changes with my weight (loss or gain) or anything abnormal for that matter. I didn't get my period for about 4 months afterwards though.
    I'm back on the pill again and had no trouble losing 40 lbs.

That being said, the BC pill works differently on everyone. Ask your doc to switch up brand names and see if your body reacts differently.
    Good luck! :)
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yeah every time I go they say this kind seems to be working fine and there's no reason to change, and I'm on a high deductible plan that only covers my well woman exam every 366 days (so dumb) so going in just to ask about my pill would be a costly trip. So I probably won't do that. I'm going to mill it over until the end of this cycle and see how I feel

Thanks for sharing! I'd love to hear other stories.