calorie count

Options
hi iam so new to all these calorie counting pls help how will i know how much calorie i should eat in a day to be able to lose weight i have thyroid issues and iam trying everything i gained a lot of water weight :(

Replies

• mskathyw
    mskathyw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It reall depends on your starting weight but you want to reduce slowly so your body doesn't try to hold on. I would suggest asking you doctor what is a good caloric intake for you as you have some medical issues you are dealing with.
  • kizzes12
    kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    hi thanks for the reply iam trying to use an online calorie calculator but iam so confused lol
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    hi iam so new to all these calorie counting pls help how will i know how much calorie i should eat in a day to be able to lose weight i have thyroid issues and iam trying everything i gained a lot of water weight :(

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban
  • kizzes12
    Options
    found this site http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/743073-calorie-count

to stay at the same weight, you would need approximately 2159 calories a day.

To lose weight, choose an option from the table below.

Weight Loss Table
    Option # Calories Per Day Target Date for 20lbs
    #1 1659 calories February 4, 2013
  • djcuts
    djcuts Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey kiz.

Try filling in a calculator like this:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

This should give you an idea of what your maintenance caloric needs are. Usually for the average woman it's roughly 2000 calories per day.

1lb is roughly 3500 calories. So if your maintenance caloric need (what you need to eat to keep your weight the same) is 2000 calories a day, that is 14000 calories per week to stay the same. If you cut that down to 10500 calories for a week, that week you will lose 1lb.

It really is just simple maths, any exercise you do add to your caloric need for the day. So if you eat your 14000 calories in a week, but burn 3500 that week by doing some extra activity, then you will still lose 1lb.

If you eat 10500 calories in a week, and burn 3500 that week with exercise, then you will lose 2lb and so on.

1 to 1.5 lb a week is a good target, anything between 2lb to 5lb a week is extreme weight loss and is only really attainable by those who are quite a bit overweight, if you are only slightly overweight, losing this much per week would most likely be detrimental to your health.

Good luck :)

DJC
  • kizzes12
    Options
    Thank you ill try that:)