bathingsuit on the beach....

Options
I leave for vacation in 5 days. I am going to the beach and meeting up w/ my family for the week. Here's the thing. I am "the heavy one" of the family. Does anyone have any good pointers on how I can keep myself from being so embarrassed about how I look in a bathing suit compared to my other 4 sisters and just enjoy my time??? I dont want to be so worried about how I look that I prevent myself from having a good time. I know I know..just dont put myself down right? Well, we all know that being on a beach in a bathingsuit next to 4 skinnier girls wearing the skinny suits is not going to be that easy! I realize it is up to me whether or not I will let myself fell that way. I am doing really good right now at keeping my confidence up and last week I lost 7 lbs! I dont mean to sound pathetic, but I dont want to let myself go back to feeling ugly!!! :sad:

Replies

• sunbug501
    sunbug501 Posts: 180
    Options
    I leave for vacation in 5 days. I am going to the beach and meeting up w/ my family for the week. Here's the thing. I am "the heavy one" of the family. Does anyone have any good pointers on how I can keep myself from being so embarrassed about how I look in a bathing suit compared to my other 4 sisters and just enjoy my time??? I dont want to be so worried about how I look that I prevent myself from having a good time. I know I know..just dont put myself down right? Well, we all know that being on a beach in a bathingsuit next to 4 skinnier girls wearing the skinny suits is not going to be that easy! I realize it is up to me whether or not I will let myself fell that way. I am doing really good right now at keeping my confidence up and last week I lost 7 lbs! I dont mean to sound pathetic, but I dont want to let myself go back to feeling ugly!!! :sad:
  • MrsTot7
    MrsTot7 Posts: 9
    Options
    Just focus on the fact that you are working hard to get to the weight you will be comfortable in a bathing suit, that should keep your confidence up, and also 7lbs is awesome and you are doing the hard but healthy way and that should make you feel great. Congratulations on your 7lbs. Way to go.:happy:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Wake up in the morning and look yourself in the mirror and smile a real smile and say "I am sexy!" The confidence boost will have you walking taller and stronger. They will have to work hard to see past your glittering self-confidnece to see those little pounds you're trying to hide!!

Be strong and rememberhow hard you've worked to this point, not how far you have to go.

Enjoy the journey!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    You do not sound pathetic!!! This is going to be easier said than done, but, try not to even think about the weight difference, we're all made different, and I'm starting to think that people don't think about our weight as much as we think they do! Some people of course do, but our friends and family accept us for who we are! Have fun!!! And act like you own it!!:flowerforyou:
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thinking positive is great for you, but sometimes you need a real life "band-aid" for your problem! I say, go out and buy a great new suit that looks fantastic on you! Reward yourself a little for your success and look HOT when you go! Around here, the new trend is long board shorts with a cute swimsuit top - I personally like tankini tops to cover my stomach too! I personally think that halter style or strapless tops draw less attention to upper body excess, which I have a problem with (arms).

You don't have to wear a bikini to look HOT at the beach!
  • sunbug501
    Options
    hehe...well at this point i wouldn't be caught dead wearing a bikini at my size! but thanks for the advice! I am determined not to be self distructive here. I love myself and I am doing all that I can to become healthier..it just takes time! I think I will go buy a new suit....something I can feel great in! thanks!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Okay, get online and go to Lands End. They have great bathing suits! Get the 2 piece ones (no, not bikinis) They have great coverage and have bottom skirts. Which I actually prefer (even when I lose all my weight) just because when I'm on the blanket or building sandcastles I'm not worrying about anything falling out.) (and you don't have to be so self conscious of your bikini line.... which I am) hehe
    And get the top a little bigger so it looks like a shirt (looser around the middle) so you won't be so conscious of your stomach. They have really cute halter ones and a new one that cinches at your thigh up to your waist, to go up or down depending on how you like it.
    And then, just remember, that this is just the beginning! And they will commend you on far your come already!
    And most of all HAVE FUN!
    "You wouldn't worry about what other people think of you if you realize how seldom they do."
    That was a saying that my mom had written on our fridge in our house, to remind us to stop worrying so much!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    1st: Find a suit that you just love. Spend the extra cash and get a high quality suit that has tummy control. And find one that is in a style not designed for old ladies. There are some really cute ones out there that are made specifically to flatter fuller figures. Do a little research on-line for the type that will flatter your body. And DONT be afraid of being bold in your choice of color or in print. Just because we are a little larger than some doesn't mean that we have to be forever consigned to your basic black. (Although I have a really cute black suit with white polka dots on the bodice---it's darling and draws the eye away from my stomach and hips).

2nd: Purchase a really cute cover up for when the sun gets to be too much

3rd: get some beyond hip sunglasses and/or other accessories. (hats are great for adding some style)

4th: TAN, either use a self tanner or go to a tanning booth. Having some color will make you feel healther and slimmer.

Last but never least: Be confident, smile, laugh, flirt, tease and enjoy yourself. There is nothing more attractive than a confident woman who is proud of who she is.

Have fun! I'm spending this weekend with my skinny sister too! I haven't seen her in ages and I'm really excited. I'm going to be too happy about family time to worry about my weight.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    "You wouldn't worry about what other people think of you if you realize how seldom they do."
    That was a saying that my mom had written on our fridge in our house, to remind us to stop worrying so much!

What a great quote. I'm going to start quotiing your mom!
  • mommy2js
    Options
    1st: Find a suit that you just love. Spend the extra cash and get a high quality suit that has tummy control. And find one that is in a style not designed for old ladies. There are some really cute ones out there that are made specifically to flatter fuller figures. Do a little research on-line for the type that will flatter your body. And DONT be afraid of being bold in your choice of color or in print. Just because we are a little larger than some doesn't mean that we have to be forever consigned to your basic black. (Although I have a really cute black suit with white polka dots on the bodice---it's darling and draws the eye away from my stomach and hips).

3rd: get some beyond hip sunglasses and/or other accessories. (hats are great for adding some style)

4th: TAN, either use a self tanner or go to a tanning booth. Having some color will make you feel healther and slimmer.

Last but never least: Be confident, smile, laugh, flirt, tease and enjoy yourself. There is nothing more attractive than a confident woman who is proud of who she is.

Have fun! I'm spending this weekend with my skinny sister too! I haven't seen her in ages and I'm really excited. I'm going to be too happy about family time to worry about my weight.

GREAT ADVISE!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

What a great quote. I'm going to start quotiing your mom!
    She is a VERY wise woman!
    She would put up quotes on the fridge depending on how one of us in the house was feeling . You'd walk in the door, and there it would be, another saying that just happened to pertain to what was going on in your life at the moment!
  • sunbug501
    Options
    GREAT ADVICE EVERYONE!!!! Thanks. And I will do just that! I'll let you all know how it goes!!!

You know...I just realized that I went from feeling really worried and discouraged to being really excited! You are all such great support systems...what would I do without you?! :heart:
  • sunbug501
    Options
    actually...now that I think of it...I'm going to make it a point to take a picture of myself in this bathing suit and post it in my pics! :laugh: or wait...would that scare everyone? haha :bigsmile:
  • mommy2js
    Options
    sounds great!

i even feel motivated from this thread! i'm going to visit Land's End website right now!
  • sunbug501
    Options
    WOOHOO!!!! I got a bathing suit today!!!! I took everyone's advice and spent a little more and got one that i feel great in! I'm gonna be feeling great on the beach next week! yay!!! :bigsmile:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    1st: Find a suit that you just love. Spend the extra cash and get a high quality suit that has tummy control. And find one that is in a style not designed for old ladies.

All great advice! Definitely add a pair of chic sunglasses, a fun tote, and new sandals (and pedicured toenails). Being polished and stylish can spark the envy of even the skinniest girls on the beach!