Just a Quick Scale Question.

Options
I bought a new scale, a digital one. I started off at 235 and have lost the 5 pounds so far so im at 230. On the new scale it's reading 238.8 so do I change my loss to nothing and start fresh with the new digital scale or??? Im thinking it's probably a lot more accurate than my old crappy one. Any advice?

Replies

• tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    That's what I would probably do.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    If the scale that weighs more is the one that you are going to use from now on... then I would say yes, reset and go from there forward :) Those couple pounds won't be an issue in the long run :)
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Go use another scale and compare...if that one also shows the same as your new scale...then unfortunately your old scale misled you and you should use the new number...if a different scale shows numbers way off from your current scale...then the scale you just bought is probably bad.

Honestly though, unless it was a junk scale...there isen't much to it and they are usually pretty accurate but again...double check with another scale.
  • misslou7
    misslou7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good question. I'd be tempted to change my original weight on here +5lbs - under check in, edit previous entries, then update current weight. That way I'd still be showing that I'd lost 5lb, thus motivational, but would also be accurate current weight :-)

Also if your digital measures body fat and water, start logging that. Useful to check that when the scales go up and down!
  • Deisel1974
    Deisel1974 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just to add to this, I have a digital scale, and it's not often the same twice. I will my myself 3 consecutive times, and the weight can fluctuate by as much as 3lbs. I weigh in until I see the same number twice, and I go with that number.

I may have a super cheap scale, not really sure, but this is how I have to do it.
  • csolo634
    csolo634 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't worry they all read a little different and your progress is still positive regardless of what the scale says. I went from an old spring and dial scale to digital and it added 10 lbs....just stay positive and keep in mind the NSV changes that you've had and will continue to see! Keep up the good work!
  • butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Im not stressing about starting over with a 0 loss. I know what I have accomplished so far so Im focused more on that than a number.
    When I first started this, I would have been completely devastated but im past that now. lol
    This new scale does measure body fat and hydration, that's what sold me on it. :)
    Thanks for the replies.
  • countmein88
    Options
    Scales tend to differ about 5+lbs or so from one another, i.e no two scales read the same.

For your sanity's sake you can simply take an item that weighs 10lbs and step on both your scales to see whether or not it captures the additional 10lbs. If both do, but read different numbers, than I guess it proves my first point lol. Either way stick to the scale that you are comfortable with through out your weight loss journey.

PS. household scales are notorious for their inaccurate body fat reading.

Good luck!