need a kick in the butt please

Options
I fell off the wagon this last month and started back tracking my food and exercise as of yesterday. I lost 15 lbs and then got stuck there. I am back at it and my goal is another 15 lbs. plus the extra 4 lbs I put back on over the past few weeks.

I need some ideas to kick start the burning of fat again since I platued at 190 lbs and stayed there for months. I dont like to run since it hurts my feet and knees. I do have a bike and treadmill in the house that is easier on my feet. Will drinking green tea or other foods help me kick start the burning?

any help would be great.
Thanks

Replies

• keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? Or perhaps have access to a gym where you can pay to take a class a couple times per week? If so, you should really try Spin Class. I know it's very daunting to those who haven't tried it but it is a wonderful calorie burner! Also as a beginner you can go at your own pace (less tension on the bike, slower pedal speed, staying in the seat, etc.) but don't forget to challenge yourself as you progress in the class. Men can usually burn close to 600 or more calories in an hour class. If you do try it, don't try it just once. Make yourself go back a second time and give it a real chance. My husband used to balk at it as being a "women's class" until he tried it. He's a runner and it kicked his butt. Needless to say, he never balked at it again!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting back on track! It's definitely hard to restart, so kudos for getting back on the wagon

Sounds like you're a little fatigued with your current options. As stated by the other poster, could you look into taking a class? Maybe biking outdoors? Even some brisk walking could be a change of pace. I love playing some sports, even though generally I'm terrible at them, hah.

As for food, we can't see your diary, but I think eating a smaller percentage of carbs (compared to protein/fat) can help get things moving for some people. I'm not sure I buy into green tea doing anything dramatic, but you can give it a try. Mostly just try and hit a (reasonable! not insane!) deficit and keep moving. You'll be fine :)
  • MsChrissyAnn
    MsChrissyAnn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It might help if you adjust your cal intake too!

Also this awesome post might help!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390579-ways-to-avoid-break-plateaus

14949197.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Vinyarddog
    Options
    for a real kick in the buut - join a local Tae Kwon Do club. (have a look at the calorie calculator on here , and you will see what I mean) - also , I have personal experience : www.bridgewatertaekwondo.com

:happy:
  • I drink ALOT of green tea. I don't know if it kick starts the burn, but it does help me keep a "full" feeling in between meals.
    Good Luck!!
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    41sf7.jpg

PS, you're not a moron, I just thought this was funny ;)
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just be on track with tracking your food, drink the water and do some weigh lifting and do what you can with the condition of your feet and knees.

I watch what I do since I've had neck and back surgery,and knee surgeries, but I still can ride my bike and walk and exercise. Find something you can do and go for it.

But tracking and logging the food is the first key followed by drinking the water, then add the exercise that you can do. You can do it!!

Good Luck.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    you mentioned green tea, idk about that, but do you take a daily multi-vitamin? I know when I don't take mine, I feel icky, and less likely to workout. There was a good thread yesterday about NEAT, check that out, and just do anything active. Get up and MOVE, eat more filling healthier foods, complex carbs only. Good luck
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Freckledrats that is so funny.....I was thinking if he was close I could kick him in the rear.....that was a good one. Thanks for the laugh
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    also, since you have problems with your knees and feet, check with the local Y and see if they have any water aerobics classes or aqua-zumba. The water provides resistance while not putting too much pressure on your frame. You don't usually see a lot of guys there, but hey, it works!
  • horsepullerlovesme
    Options
    41sf7.jpg

PS, you're not a moron, I just thought this was funny ;)

this is adorable thanx for the laugh this mornin i needed it!!! ;)
  • Ralfgar
    Ralfgar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. Taking a class might not work very well since I work 12 hour day shift and have two grade school kids that are into all kinds of activities all week long (makes me one of the drivers) I have a home gym which I try to hit once or twice a week on my days off. I have myfitnesspal set to loose 1.5 lbs/wk so that puts me in the 1500 cal/day range (I am 47, 194lbs and 5'7") I guess my best bet is to increase my level of exercise or add a few more days to my work out.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    for a real kick in the buut - join a local Tae Kwon Do club. (have a look at the calorie calculator on here , and you will see what I mean) - also , I have personal experience : www.bridgewatertaekwondo.com

:happy:

Seriously! One of my friend routinely posts big caloric burns from her tae kwon do classes. Makes me think about doing that once I get done with my upcoming race!! It might be just what you need to get motivated!!
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The key is your diet. Understanding how to cycle and time your macronutrients (protein, carbs & fats) properly is the difference between plateuing and breaking through to that next level of weight loss. Also, too many times I see people stay within their calorie range, but the quality of calories are not the best. Eat clean quality calories and eat your macronutrients at the proper times of the day and you will be golden.

As far as exercise goes, just get moving. Put that bike and treadmill to use 3-5 days a week. And definitely do weight bearing exercise, whether it's with weights or just using your own body weight (push-up, squats, lunges, crunches). Some people underestimate how much fat they can lose doing resistance training. Cardio (running, treadmill, elliptical etc) burns a bulk of calories while you're doing it and then the calorie burning stops shortly after you're finished... But resistance training burns calories for up to two days after a workout! Mix cardio and resistance training together and you have a winning combination for fat loss.

Good Luck!
  • Ralfgar
    Ralfgar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Jnero62002, can you or someone else explain this cycle/timing of macronutrients or send a link to where I can read up on this. I know with my work hours I know I do a big no no by eating late into the evening. Maybe understanding this will shed some light on my plateuing.

thanks everyone