21 weeks Pregnant and feel HUGE-A-MONGUS!!!!!

Options
I got pregnant at my highest weight @173 lbs. I gained 18 pounds so far bringing me to 191!!! I am so dreading hitting that 200 mark... I know I know... "you're pregnant" that's what I keep hearing, but REALLY it's bothering me. I have never been that much and I am not happy about it. Just needed to vent...

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. Although you are pregnant, if you are starting at a heavier weight, it might be okay to not gain too much during the pregnancy, but only your OB can tell you that for sure.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You are growing a whole brand new human being. It's the most creative, amazing process you will ever be involved in.

Talk with your doctor and a nutritionist to make sure that you are eating properly to grow your baby. You don't have to gain a ton of weight, especially if you had some extra to start with.

Primary focus right now- growing that baby. You are more than half way done!
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You are growing a whole brand new human being. It's the most creative, amazing process you will ever be involved in.

Talk with your doctor and a nutritionist to make sure that you are eating properly to grow your baby. You don't have to gain a ton of weight, especially if you had some extra to start with.

Primary focus right now- growing that baby. You are more than half way done!

Thanks so much!! I told hubby last night that I can't wait until after baby and I can start again on my calorie counting!! of course I will be breastfeeding so will need to take in some more, but I can't wait to get back on the counting train!!!!!!!
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself and ask your doctor not to tell you your weight. Seriously, get rid of the scale altogether. Right now you should just focus on getting the required nutrition for you and your baby. You could still count calories just as long as you reset your level to account for being pregant and make sure you get your required vitamins and minerals. Check this with your doctor of course.
  • julieuz
    Options
    I absolutely can empathize. When I got pregnant I was 168 (after having lost about 5 pounds) and within the fist few weeks immediately retained about 7 pounds of water. I watched what I ate during pregnancy and was fortunate to have only healthy food cravings (mostly fruit and vegetables, strangely enough) but reached 201 when I delivered. Yes, breaking the 200 pound mark really did hurt me psychologically.

It's hard to avoid scales during pregnancy since you're obviously weighed at each visit, I found it hard to look away from the number. The good news is that this can be very temporary and as long as you don't go too crazy during your pregnancy you can keep your weight gain within appropriate limits - and talk to your OB about what would be right for you - and post partum much of the water weight will disappear within 6 to 8 weeks.

Bottom line, try not to obsess, as there's no way to avoid weight gain, but you can control the amount and continue to eat healthily. After all, it's worth it in the end when you finally meet that baby, right?

Best wishes on the remainder of your journey, and congratulations!
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, when I had my daughter, I weighed in close to 200 lbs but I was able to get most of that weight off within the first year! I believe that by the time she turned one I was back down to around 150 lbs. (I'm 5' 10") I didn't take very good care of myself when I was pregnant with her and I gained nearly 60 lbs!! Not to say this will happen with you, if you take care of yourself and try to eat right; you should fare far better!!

But I am in agreement with the others here; that you ought to give yourself a tiny break. Be loving to your body because whatever you put into your body (thoughts, feelings, food, etc) gets passed to that little life that you are nourishing. Pregnancy is meant to be a wonderful, amazing, beautiful experience! Don't stress out too much; those of us who have had babies have all been there; we've felt as huge as a house! But the truth is that you are a beautiful women that is creating a beautiful life to share with the world! Embrace that! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Be well,
    Charlotte

27783872.png
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    Check out babyfit.com.They have menu ideas and support groups. I am Tanyasteve over there if you want to say hi. I was in the same boat. Dreading the 200 pound mark but it wasn't the end of the world and the baby was born fine. You need to keep an eye on eatting healthy foods and not gaining too much too quickly (pre-E, gestional diabetes, ect are some issues that come with those things). The ladies over at Babyfit are awesome!

congrats ont he baby!!