Preparing for a Spartan Race?!?!?

Options
Hey there. I've decided that I want to do a Spartan Race. However, I have no idea as to how to prepare for it. Does anyone out there have any experience with these types of races and have an advice for me??? Thanks!

Replies

• shimewazaMan
    Options
    Bump (in the hopes that someone has some suffestions!)
  • planetrunner
    Options
    First off, right on for signing up for a Spartan Race! I’ve completed a number of them over the past 4 years and it’s truly an incredible experience that’ll put a big (muddy) smile on your face. My advice comes from having just recently completed the Trifecta: Beast (25km), Super (10km) and Sprint (5km).

Some general training advice would be to make sure you are comfortable with the distance you sign up for (no surprise there). It may even be in your interest to train slightly beyond the distance, simply to get your body used exerting itself a little bit more. Next, I would recommend doing a good amount of hill training. Best approach is to get some hill experience by running on single-path/width trails. This’ll come close to the type of course setup of most Spartan Races.

Aside from that, some upper body strength is needed. For the Sprint races, it’s pretty basic stuff. If you can walk to the grocery store and back with a backpack and carrying two packed bags back with groceries, you’ll be able to handle all of the Sprint obstacles. They obstacles range from climbing rope netting, pulling yourself through the mud under barbed wire, using a rope and pulley to lift a sandbag, throwing a spear, climbing over a hooyah wall, and so on. All in all, difficult, but far from impossible. I ran beside a husband and wife in their 60s with moderate running and strength abilities, and they had little trouble. You’ll be fine.

For the Super, much of the same advice applies, with some from what I’m about to recommend for the next distance length. However, for the Beast, you’ll certainly want to have some significant training under your belt. I ran the Beast having completed a marathon the month before at an average time (4h25m) and it took me and my trail runner partner 6h30m to finish the Beast (fastest time was 3h45m). First, you’ll need to have hill training under your belt. Second, you’ll NEED to carry water in a camelpack (waterbottle will not cut it; water stations often run out) and be carrying gel packs/food/etc (expect to go through these every 30 mins and have people on the course ask for your supplies due to poor planning). Third, you’ll need a good pair of trail runners. Again, most of the obstacles are upper body strength: kettle bell lifts, hooyah walls, pulleys, moneky bars, mesh nets, rope climbs, etc.

So for training, just practice your selected Spartan distance, hit up the trails, practice Hills, practice screaming AROO! x 3, run through any mud you can find, run in the rain, climb playground monkey bars and on the day of, watch out for racers around you so you don’t get hurt/hit someone by mistake/fling someone off a net/etc.

Other good ressrouces is this fellow’s website: http://www.hobiecall.com/ I believe he’s ranked #1 or #2 on the Spartan Race leaderboards. Here’s another site with a race review: http://danerunsalot.blogspot.ca/2011/08/spartan-beast-recap.html

Good luck! Aroo!
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    WOW! Thanks planetrunner!!!!! I REALLY appreciate the advice. As a matter of fact, I am making a copy of it to add to my workout notes. Thanks again!
  • planetrunner
    Options
    Anytime! The Spartan race's are a fantastic way to ignite your passion for running (if you enjoy this type of race).
  • 3dgbern
    3dgbern Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I completed a Spartan Sprint this past summer and it was a blast! Lots of mud, climbing, scaling etc.. Keep your running miles up and definitely hit those hills. Also, BURPEE sets are essential! That's a great over all exercise. For me, my upper body was my weakness, so key in on your weak spots and you'll be fine. good luck.
  • jaybird951
    jaybird951 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    this sounds like basic training or ranger indocrination training. nice.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at a sprint here in Montana. it will be here in May ... my biggest concern, honestly, is the wall. I have plans to actually build one of my own to train with at home, but just have to eventually have the disposable income to buy the supplies.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I have been thinking of doing the Spartan Sprint here in AZ next Feb. It looks like a blast.
  • planetrunner
    Options
    I'm looking at a sprint here in Montana. it will be here in May ... my biggest concern, honestly, is the wall. I have plans to actually build one of my own to train with at home, but just have to eventually have the disposable income to buy the supplies.

That was my biggest concern as well. 9 feet walls are hard to jump over if you've never done it before.

Fortunately there are steps on the far sides of the wall (support beams). And, if you have trouble, someone usually lends a hand to help you up and over. If that doesn't work, practice your burpees ;)
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    First of all, thank you SOOO much everyone for posting! This is something I really want to do. My biggest worry is my knees. I don't know how well they will stand up to all the running. I did 3.5 miles this passed weekend. My cardio felt fine, my leg muscles felt good, but my knees .... OMG ... my knees were killing me. I'm hoping that if I lose about 15 - 20 pounds more, that will ease up some. And, I know for a fact that I need better shoes, but $$$ is an issue right now, so my old Sketchers will have to do for now! LOL
  • planetrunner
    Options
    First of all, thank you SOOO much everyone for posting! This is something I really want to do. My biggest worry is my knees. I don't know how well they will stand up to all the running. I did 3.5 miles this passed weekend. My cardio felt fine, my leg muscles felt good, but my knees .... OMG ... my knees were killing me. I'm hoping that if I lose about 15 - 20 pounds more, that will ease up some. And, I know for a fact that I need better shoes, but $$$ is an issue right now, so my old Sketchers will have to do for now! LOL

Maybe in the interim, try reading up on running form and posture. You might be able to reduce the knee soreness. A common tweak that yields less knee pain is not leaning forward too far when you run. Warm ups, post-run knee specific stretches and using a foam roller also can help.

Let us know how you do on your Spartan. When's the race?
  • shimewazaMan
    Options

Maybe in the interim, try reading up on running form and posture. You might be able to reduce the knee soreness. A common tweak that yields less knee pain is not leaning forward too far when you run. Warm ups, post-run knee specific stretches and using a foam roller also can help.

Let us know how you do on your Spartan. When's the race?

Thanks @planetrunner. I wouldn't be surprised at all if my posture was all off! I have always struggled with running. I will have to focus on that when I go run today. Also, I definitely have to be better about my post run stretching. I know I am bad about that. I typically run during my lunch hour and am in a rush to get my shower and get back to my desk. LOL.

I actually haven't signed up yet. I live in Northern VA and I believe the ones in this area either just happened or are happening very soon. I need at least 4-5 months of running to get to where I would be comfortable running 10+ miles, so I am looking at 2013. There is a Spartan Race in the Mid Atlantic region (location TBD) August 24 and a Warrior Dash on May 18 in Maryland. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. The Warrior is less expensive. I had no idea the registration for a Spartan race was so expensive!!!!
  • stealthbiker
    Options
    I see a lot of article to prepare for it that involves a lot of stress on the back. I broke my back in 4 places years ago and I need to be careful on what I do. Any suggestions? I just did the NorCal Maniac Mud Run last week and it was a blast, but my back paid for it the next few days