Oatmeal??

Options
I'm trying to find foods that are filling and healthy for breakfast, and over and over again I come across oatmeal. However, as plain oatmeal goes, I am not a fan. Does anyone have any recipes/suggestion of how I can incorporate oats into a quick breakfast routine? Or any other fiber/protein rich breakfast suggestions? Need something that will keep me going until lunch. (p.s. I'm also not a plain egg fan...)

Replies

• NobodyInParticular
    Options
    Cut up fruit and/or top it off with cinnamon. I hate plain oatmeal but find it pretty delicious with apple or banana slices in it. You could also do almonds or any other nuts you like.
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    overnight oats will change your life!
    google it.
  • KMRose1788
    KMRose1788 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal grew on me. I used to put PB&J in it, then just a little jam, now I eat it plain or with raisins. Keeps me full and is quick and easy (I eat it when I get to the office). Also for my job I do field work and I ALWAYS eat oatmeal when out all day working, keeps me full and not rumbling stomach at 10am. The problem with oatmeal is that a serving is low cal but all the toppings and stuff that go onto it can really add up.
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    PROTMEAL:
    Ingredients
    3/4-1Cup Bobs Red Mill Oats
    1 Cup H2O
    1 Scoop ON Gold Standard
    Mix water and oats microwave 2 min let settle 1 min, add favorite protein powder (chocolate/cookies&cream seem to be the best) mix thoroughly. Eat & Enjoy :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1 cup cottage cheese, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup berries, 1/2 cup whole grain cereal (like kashi).

Stir protein into cottage cheese. top with berries and cereal. ~350-400 calories
  • summerincoming
    Options
    PBJ oatmeal is great. Also, putting cinnamon (no sugar), almonds, banana slices, and milk (regular or almond) is awesome! You could also try the Almond Joy oatmeal, which is oatmeal, milk, shredded coconut, chopped dark chocolate, and almonds. I'm not a big fan of plain oatmeal, either, but I've found those to be really good.

I've also heard that overnight oatmeal is really tasty, but I have yet to try it.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I eat it however with a banana or straberries. I still do not find that it fills me up for long though. The one breakfast I eat that keeps me full for a long time and is low in Cals and High in protein is a hard boiled egg. That with a peice of Whole wheat & Flax toast gives me a ton of energy and keeps me full for hours.
    Hope that helps!
  • momkeena
    momkeena Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wasn't an oatmeal fan until I began eating it uncooked! 1/2 c. raw oatmeal with almond milk, and fruits and nuts of your choice. I prefer dried blueberries and chopped almonds. And cinnamon. Always cinnamon! Just measure fruit and nuts amounts carefully so you're not racking up dessert calorie counts!
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite easy oatmeal recipe that I eat pretty much every day.

1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
    1/2 c. skim milk
    1/2 c. frozen blueberries
    1/2 tsp of maple syrup (if you want extra sweetener)
    sprinkle of cinnamon to taste

Heat oats, milk and cinnamon in microwave for 1 minute. After 1 minute, stir and add blueberries and heat for additional minute. Totally fills you up.
  • slokane
    slokane Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Make the oats with soy milk instead of water. I like vanilla. With a little bit of honey and cinnamon!! Making them with milk or soy milk completely changes the taste without having to add a bunch of sugar.
  • brodi3man
    brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i buy sliced frozen peaches. heatup 3/4 cup old fashioned oats and water throw in the frozen peaches right outta the microwave. super simple and tasty.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it, now I'm ADDICTED!

I only like jumbo oats, they taste so much better to me :smile:

I always use 1/2 cup jumbo oats to 1 cup milk substitute like coconut/almond or soy milk.

My favourites are:

Oats&milk with chopped banana, cinnamon + blueberries
    Oats&milk with chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, manuka honey and strawberries
    Oats&milk with peanut butter and pure fruit jam
    Oats&milk with grated apple and cinnamon
    Oats&milk with pecans and maple syrup
    Oats&milk with raisins and almonds
    Oats&milk with mashed banana and cocoa powder + stevia

x
  • melbaby701
    melbaby701 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't care for oatmeal until I tried the overnight oatmeal and now I have it every morning.
    1 cup vanilla almond milk
    1/3 cup dry whole grain oats
    1 tsp honey
    1 tsp flax seed
    1 tsp wheat germ
    Then in the morning I add different fruit
  • tacklethis
    Options
    1/2 cup of old fashioned oats, 1/4 cup of raisins, 1/8 cup of almond slivers, and 1 packet of Splenda(360 calories)
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • amycb03
    amycb03 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love oats!

I cook mine with water and here are some of my mix'ins:

1. Mashed banana -cooked in the oatmeal.
    2. Dark Cocoa Powder, slivered almonds, unsweetened shredded coconut.
    3. Frozen Berries
    3. Pure Pumpkin and cinnamon or pumpking pie spice
    4. Almond Butter and Blueberry Preserves
    5. Apple chunks and cinnamon
    6. Maple Syrup and Cinnamon.
  • rllewell
    Options
    We make a large batch of steep cut oatmeal and then scoop out breakfast portions.

I have also made dry, uncooked oatmeal at night and add coconut/rice/almond milk for it to soak in till morning.

Add cinnamon, fruit, nuts, seeds, honey to your liking.

For me I try to alternate an oatmeal breakfast and a fruit with Greek yogurt and cottage cheese breakfast. Both are filling in the morning.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Baked Oatmeal:

3 cups quick cooking oats

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons butter, melted

2 eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute

2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup peanut butter

Mix all ingredients together and stir well. Spread in a GREASED 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. If you like it a little crunchy on the top, cook for a few minutes longer. Serve with warm milk poured over top and enjoy!

I add a couple tablespoons of hemp protein powder to mine and so it fits my macros perfectly.
  • CassandraChloeJ
    CassandraChloeJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1/2 Cup quick oats
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup frozen blueberries (unsweetened)
    1 egg (stirred in) or egg whites
    1 tbs of honey
    cinnamon
    ground flax
    ginger

Sometimes I add nuts, pecans, or walnuts.

My absolute fav!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Add in a scoop of chocloate or vanilla proetein powder. It is really delicious!!