Anyone losing inches but not weight?

Options
I have been back on MFP for several weeks and my clothes feel loser but not losing any weight. I have increased my workout routines and really feel like I am firming up but its discouraging not seeing it on scale Ugh!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    Other than you no one knows what the scale says. If your measurements are going down, you are losing fat and likely keeping a good amount of your muscle. That is what you want, even if the scale does not move, because that is what people see. They don't see the scale. Also realize that if your measurements are going down, the scale will eventually follow. You can't keep losing fat and not see the scale change eventually. Frankly I would rather lose inches and have my weigh stay the same than lose weight and have my measurements not change that much. In short, stop focusing on the scale.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Other than you no one knows what the scale says. If your measurements are going down, you are losing fat and likely keeping a good amount of your muscle. That is what you want, even if the scale does not move, because that is what people see. They don't see the scale. Also realize that if your measurements are going down, the scale will eventually follow. You can't keep losing fat and not see the scale change eventually. Frankly I would rather lose inches and have my weigh stay the same than lose weight and have my measurements not change that much. In short, stop focusing on the scale.

^ ^ ^

What he said, losing inches is great!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have been back on MFP for several weeks and my clothes feel loser but not losing any weight. I have increased my workout routines and really feel like I am firming up but its discouraging not seeing it on scale Ugh!

Who cares what the scale says? No one can see that.

I've lost 1.5lbs since June - and I just lost it over the weekend. And yet, I'm a pant size smaller. In the past 3 weeks, I've had 5-7 coworkers ask me how much more I've lost recently, because they think it looks like I've dropped a pretty sizeable amount of pounds.

People can only see what your body looks like. I'd rather be 188lbs and look about 20lbs smaller, than be 168lbs and look 20lbs heavier. That's the benefit of exercise!

Also, if you are really worried about the number on the scale, take 2-3 days off from exercise and weigh yourself again. Once the fluid in your muscles disappears, the number should go down (your muscles are retaining fluid to help repair themselves).
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just went 4 weeks with doing 50 to 90 min. of cardio and/or strength training 6 days a week. I gained 6 pounds and was very discouraged. I did some research and realized that even though I dropped my calorie intake to 1200 a day, I still had too much fat and sugar in my diet. Last week I changed it up some more and now this week I lost 7 lbs. I am only a pound less than my starting weight, but at least I'm losing now. I hope this helps.
  • ToniZ60
    ToniZ60 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks it does help but I have always been one of those people's that is hung up on the scale. I do think you are right about fluid retention I am a very bad water drinker. I usually have between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. I guess I will wait and see what happens :)
  • cuckoo2012
    cuckoo2012 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    hi..i am on same boat i am only losing inches not any weight ..i am doing 45 mins of aerobics and having 1200 calories
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Pretty much always. I rarely weigh myself. My most recent weigh in was the first time in 9 months. If my jeans fit me, it's a good day. If my jeans are falling off of me, I'm for sure doing something right!
  • mumx5
    mumx5 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

I am exactly the same! My starting weight was 150lbs and I lost 11lbs of that pretty quickly - in a matter of weeks in fact. However, Since July my weight has been fluctauting between 136 and 137lb. Very frustrating! Feeling a little discouraged by not seeing the scale move much, but clothing feeling a little looser mind you, I decided to take some measurements a month back. I was pleasantly surprised to see that 3 weeks later I had lost 3 inches from my stomach, amongst other losses too :)

Don'y rely on the scales too much. Take some measurements too which I am am sure definately show your progress to date. Keep up the good work :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^^^Absolutely what this guy says! At 140 lbs you are in a healthy weight range. Losing inches means your losing fat and not precious lean muscle mass. I would rather lose inches and weight!!!! Ignore the scale!
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I have noticed my stomach is going down quite a bit but the scale says differently. My sister even noticed it looks like I have shrunk a little. We have agreed that I am losing inches.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    usually the case... I've lost 15 pounds... but only in the beginning... haven't lost any since May...
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'd say congratulations - the inches are probably the important part (well, assuming you are looking to be more svelte...).
  • Banker2Bikini
    Banker2Bikini Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ME!!!! I have only lost about 6 pounds however I have gone from a size 12 to a size 6. I should not complain however I still think it is frustrating not seeing the numbers go down.

Don't give up and keep pressing hard cause there are a lot of people right there with ya!
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i have been doing CF for 4 months now, have lost a lot of inches, but hardly any weight at all! my body fat % is going down though, so i know my weight being the same is because of muscle growth. my clothes are fitting better and as far as i care.... if i fit into a size 6 but the scale tells me i'm 500lbs, i don't care. the scale is a dirty rotten *kitten* sometimes. don't take it too seriously!
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

agree 100% !!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    ME!!!! I have only lost about 6 pounds however I have gone from a size 12 to a size 6. I should not complain however I still think it is frustrating not seeing the numbers go down.

Don't give up and keep pressing hard cause there are a lot of people right there with ya!

A size 12 to a 6 is amazing. It's very sad that women are so programmed to feel frustrated by not seeing the numbers on the scale go down. Dropping 3 or 4 sizes is a success. And a size 6 is small. Embrace your success and don't worry about the scale.
  • Breyna_10
    Options
    Omg......same problem i started 3 weeks ago...I walking in the mornings for 30 min and afternoons for one hour keep track of my calories and the scale has just drop like 4 to five pounds but what keeps me going is that i have lost 2 inches from my waist,back and
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Use the scale as a guide, but don't use it as your ONLY guide! I was only a few pounds heavier in college and wore an 8-10 pant, now I wear a 4-6! I love me some muscle!
  • kareinlib
    Options
    A lot of people lose inches instead of weight - that's why it's a measurement option on MFP. I honestly wish I was losing inches - it's far more noticeable to lose inches than 5 or 10 pounds on the scale. Inches is what other people see in the end.
  • Zyphun
    Zyphun Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. Well kinda. I am losing weight and I am thinning, just not in the places I want to be thinning. :) I just added strength training to help target those areas. I know stomach fat is one of the last to go, but it can't go soon enough!