Munchies while studying

Options
I swear Uni will be the end of me!! Every single night I get set up with my laptop, books and a selection of munchies- tonight it is celery, carrots and boiled egg....but it doesn't stop!! I have already eaten the celery and the carrots and about to demolish the eggs. Does anyone else experience this when studying?? It's not because I am bored either, and I sip on water throughout the course of it. It actually makes me stomach grumbling hungry.

Replies

• kim959706
    Options
    I find I'm a munchier when watching television. Possibly a boredom thing I don't know. But I constantly munch when I'm in front of the tv. I have picked up putting together puzzles and crocheting in an attempt to curtail the need to munch, but not doable when studying! With my schedule I rarely get to watch tv and I've noticed it has carried over to when I'm reading a book. Harder to do other things with my hands then. I drink alot of water and with my schedule end up eating a late dinner every night. So my only guess is it is a boredom need to occupy my hands or something. I'm fighting it though.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the library because 1. More efficient at studying, 2. Keeps me away from my fridge and pantry.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I studied for weeks on end for an exam to get my registration after I graduated.

I made these yummy tuna lettuce wraps that were satisfying and tasty...it actually limited my snacking and kept me full.

1 iceberg or romaine lettuce leaf (or 2...they're low cal)
    Cucumber slices
    tomato slices
    1 3 oz can of tuna (packed in water)
    Lemon Juice, salt, pepper and lemon pepper to taste

Combine the tuna and seasonings. stuff lettuce leaf with the tuna and veggies. Enjoy!
  • summerincoming
    Options
    I get those, too! I've found that nuts (like almonds or walnuts) really help to take the edge off things. Try to keep them unsalted, though, to keep the sodium low. Keeping a bag of mini carrots also helps (though they're not nearly as filling as nuts). Also, smoothies. All-fruit. They're really filling and good for you, and you can sip on them constantly while you study. :)
  • brendajs
    brendajs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What about hard candy? Tastes good and keeps your mouth busy? There are several different kinds out there that you could try! Maybe even check out the sugar -free kinds? I haven't tried any, so don't know how well they taste...

Just an idea!

:flowerforyou:
    Brenda
  • texastunga
    texastunga Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too get the munchies when I am studying or reading or watching television. The previous suggestion to leave the house is a good one. The other thing that helps me is chewing gum. I will go through 1-2 packs a day just chewing new pieces of gum. Good luck!
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the hard boiled sweets and sugar free gum. I don't normally get the munchies whilst studying, but if I'm sitting down for any length of time watching tele/on the PC then I get the munchies.

It helps to just suck/chew on something. That way my mouth is busy, and as long as I stick to the sugar free/as low calories as possible then it doesn't dominate my calories for the day. I can make a boiled sweet last a good half an hour, so they're fab if I'm sitting down for an extended period of time.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    zucchini chips. slice thin and bake. healthy, crunchy and low cal.
  • cjk76
    cjk76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is natural for you body to feel hungry when you are tired. Unfortunately, you can't just go to bed. Keep the snacks healthy and stay away from all that alcohol!
  • cuteangel9013
    Options
    I get munchies so bad when watching television.. Anyone have any healthy suggestions?
  • Cassandrat83
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the replies. I wish I could leave the house but the majority of my studying is after 9pm (I work split shifts from 11am-9pm) when work is finished and the kids are asleep. I will definitely try the tuna wraps and I love the idea of the nuts, hard lollies and chewing gum!!
    Being tired definitely has something to do with it, I am usually exhausted by 10pm but I try to fight through it till 1-2am. I found last night that listening to music seemed to help as well, go figure lol. Anyway, thanks again for all of the suggestions, I will definitely be trying them all :)