Fruit included in your goal

Options
Hi.
I just needed your help... I have started eating a lot of fruit and keep going over my carbs and it's worrying me.... I have had a look at the amount of calories in some fruit and it's shocking!... should i eat less? I am having at least 3 portions a day....
Thanks.

Replies

• acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I don't limit my fruits personally. I use the carb column to keep me aware more of any non-whole grain products/alcohol, to make sure I don't eat too much white rice/pasta, etc. If I do an hour long run, I obviously need more carbs/fruit than on days I lift/do yoga, too, so I have to increase it then. Fruits are so rich in phytochemicals/nutrients/vitamins, I make sure to have 2-4 servings/day. :) Hope this helps!
  • sprags
    sprags Posts: 56
    Options
    Fruit is one of the things that MFP doesn't take into consideration. Keep eating the fruits, and just know that your carbs and sugars will be higher in your daily count. Keep the carbs count for keeping track of your breads and pastas.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch one serving to vegetables.
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    Fruits do have a lot of sugar, but they are also filled with so many nutrients that I can't pass on them. Just be careful of your serving size.

I usually pair it with a protein (like apples w/ PB).
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're eating more fruit! Just eat until you feel full. Idealy, you should be eating 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day to keep your body fueled, but not stuffed.

Fruit is also a great source of your daily H20. I honestly can't tell you to eat less fruit. You may want to keep an eye on your sugar, though. My favorite fruits are pineapple and mango: very high in sugar! I try to limit those, and bring in apples, grapes, pears, and other lower sugar fruits to keep things even.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    Fruit IS tricky!!! I've had a nutritionist warn me about too much fruit (but I literally eat it B,L,D and for snacks!) because of the sugars, even though they're good sugars... can convert to much higher calories than we're actually counting.... but really, if you have 3 servings a day, and you're getting your vegetables and whole grains you should be fine! It's all about balance and moderation, remember that that is the RECOMMENDED amount by the USDA, and that MFP just provides a guideline for your weightloss (I've noticed that not a lot of the foods are 100% correct). Congratulations for being so healthy and working produce into your diet! Keep up the gooood work!
  • mattie5
    Options
    Check out berries! I eat strawberries, blueberries and rasberries....frozen. They are a yummy snack or part of a meal, they are fantasic for vitamins and they have lower sugar numbers and lots of fiber. If you can get fresh where you live, great too!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Most of your fruit and vegetables (5-8 servings a day) should come form vegetables. Out of 5 only 2 should be fruit, if you eat 7 or 8 then maybe 3 should be fruit. Fruit is good for you but like anything moderation is the best approach.
  • Robby
    Robby Posts: 41
    Options
    Remember that fruit helps your body work more efficiently so whatever calories you consume in fruit will definately help you to burn even more in the long run. The sugar in fruit is used immediately and easily because it was created specifically for your body, unlike refined sugar products that slow you down, make you heavier, and send you into an insulin-resistant state.

EAT the fruit! The best time is before and after your workouts paired with protein. A fruit smoothie (no sugar added) with a scoop of whey protein is kickin for workouts! Energy before and muscle repair/replenish after!

Side note: careful with the juice though...eat the whole fruit for the fiber and fullness.
  • Billo
    Billo Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks so much ppl.... this has helped a lot! :)
  • Billo
    Billo Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks so much ppl.... this has helped a lot! :)
  • mlove1307
    Options
    I eat a banana and half a cup of blueberries with my breakfast.
    I have an apple or pear with lunch.
    I have some kind of fruit most days for a snack before dinner - pear, apple, peach, nectarine, orange...etc.
    And most days I have a partially frozen cut up pear with dinner because its suchhh a delicious cold treat!

I eat a LOT of fruit. I get allll my fiber in every day. And I love it. I really DO NOT worry about carbs that are from whole foods, whole grains and the like.. Alcohol carbs and simple sugar carbs are the ones I like to be aware of, but as you can see, I don't eat a lot of those. :]