Jillian michaels 30 day shred

I am 60 pounds overweight and yesterday was my first day of starting the shred program. I woke up this morning and could barely move or walk because I was in so much pain. I don't know what do. I used 5 pound weights and have never really done any weight training before so I'm wondering if I should take a break to let myself heal or push through it like alot of people have said to. I'm afraid I might hurt myself though and not be able to continue for a long time if i push myself. Does anyone have any experience with this that might have helpful advice? Any would be appreciated :flowerforyou:

Replies

• tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    I was really sore after the first day, and I used 3 lb weights! I pushed through it, the sore feeling will go away after a couple of days. It's most likely because you haven't pushed your body like that before.

If you are sore: push through it (maybe with lighter weights) for another day or so
    If you're in PAIN: Relax, and let your body rest

This is just based on my experience, btw.
  • I remember doing this workout for the first time three years ago and I was so sore. So sore that I couln't even walk up two front steps to my front door. It was so painful. I also remember being in that much pain that I was asking myself the same question. I did go ahead and do it.....but I had to modify it to what I could do. If you feel like you still cannot do it just go for a short walk. Hope this helps. It helped me to remember that I have this DVD burried somewhere. I think its time to pick it back up again. Thanks!!
  • sherbear2678
    sherbear2678 Posts: 60 Member
    it gets better - the first day is the worst and you'll be sore for 3 or 4 days but then you'll feel stronger - you can do it!
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    I started the 30 Ds yesterday & used 3 lb. weights. I plan on doing it every other day. I've heard some people say to do it every day and others say its not meant to be done every day and you need recovery. So I'm going w/ the need for recovery!
  • Spindrift2012
    Spindrift2012 Posts: 58 Member
    I'd take a break. Listen to what your body is telling you - which is ouch! I started her Ripped in 30 back in January and did it gradually over the next few months. I've never done it for more than at most 4 days a week. I listened to my knees and I like to do other exercises as well. Its definitely made a difference over time. I don't think I'd have lasted a week if I'd tried to do it for 30 days straight.
  • stacey1981
    stacey1981 Posts: 39 Member
    If you are hurting, I wouldn't continue. I would give your body a day to rest. Remember that you are just starting out so your body isn't used to it. Only you know what your body can handle:)
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    I am 60 pounds overweight and yesterday was my first day of starting the shred program. I woke up this morning and could barely move or walk because I was in so much pain. I don't know what do. I used 5 pound weights and have never really done any weight training before so I'm wondering if I should take a break to let myself heal or push through it like alot of people have said to. I'm afraid I might hurt myself though and not be able to continue for a long time if i push myself. Does anyone have any experience with this that might have helpful advice? Any would be appreciated :flowerforyou:
    I've done it both ways. Once I started and was so sore the next day, but I pushed through and I was surprised at how it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and the next day I was less sore. This time around, day 1 was on a Saturday, and Sunday was my rest day, so I rested the second day. As long as you stick with it, don't let one day turn into two, three days, weeks, months, you'll be fine.
  • rsellersCST
    rsellersCST Posts: 333 Member
    I'm having a couple initial thoughts... if you push on and are truly miserable are you going to give up?

If not... PUSH THROUGH. It's true... you haven't pushed your body like this and it's going to push back if that makes sense.

That said... if you have the potential of just saying the heck with it... why not ease your way up? Try an active recovery day where you take a walk... or do some lighter form of exercise but STILL MOVE!!! Don't completely stop.

Then try it without the weights... work UP to it.

I think it completely depends on your personality... whether you are better at attacking it and just sticking to it no matter what... or if you need to ease up... either way is OK!!! So don't feel bad about it.

I know for me if I'm down right in pain and miserable... I'm less likely to stick with it for the LONG haul... then there are other things I can attack and do no matter what for the results... all depends on where I'm at mentally.

I don't know if that helps... but that's my thought process on deciding what to do.
  • KittyCathy
    KittyCathy Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks everyone for the comments :tongue: Im thinking i might do the program every other day and zumba the other days but ill see how it plays out
  • I can help! I can help!
    When I started my new "lifestyle" ie: eating healthy and exercising, I actually started off exercising VERY slowly after making a huge mistake. Thing is, I was about 90 lbs overweight when I decided to make a change in my life. I picked up 30DS and gave it a shot. Turns out I couldn't even make it through the 20 minutes. I almost passed out! I was SO out of shape. So, instead of jumping right into the video, I started walking for an hour a day, 5 times a week. Then, after a few weeks, I'd go to the gym, do my cardio then add weights into it. After a month of this, I felt like my endurance went up significantly. I decided to pull out 30DS again and gave it a shot.
    I made it through the first level. I was SO excited! It was tough and I was exhausted but I DID IT! I was sore after, but not nearly as sore and I just kept at it about 4 times a week. Eventually, the soreness goes away! My endurance really has gone up and yours will too.

So, in a nutshell, my advice to you is work your way up to it. It's a hard work out for pretty much anyone. You'll have a way more difficult time going from couch to 30DS. Don't get discouraged! You can do it. If I can, ANYONE CAN!

:happy:
  • andilion
    andilion Posts: 44 Member
    5 pound weights are a lot to start with. I've been doing strength training pretty consistently and I still use 3 pound weights with most of the Level 1 exercises. I would definitely recommend starting with just your body weight and then working up from there!