Pre-work out/post-workout eating

Options
In matter of opinion, how effective is it to have a smaller caloric intake PRIOR to working out as opposed to having a major meal shortly before? Not trying to be unhealthy. I do have a substantial caloric intake throughout the day, but I tend to have a moderate breakfast, then workout, and immediately have a meal bar or protein smoothie. I'm just curious to the most efficient way to burn the calories.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    In matter of opinion, how effective is it to have a smaller caloric intake PRIOR to working out as opposed to having a major meal shortly before? Not trying to be unhealthy. I do have a substantial caloric intake throughout the day, but I tend to have a moderate breakfast, then workout, and immediately have a meal bar or protein smoothie. I'm just curious to the most efficient way to burn the calories.

Doesn't matter, it's personal preference. What matters when it's all said and done is if you created a calorie deficit or not
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    For me, I find it easier to have a meal at least 30 minutes before a workout or run. Eating immediately before makes it hard for me to work out and makes my stomach hurt on runs. I make sure to have a small snack IMMEDIATELY after a work out or run just because the general rule is you need to eat protein after a hard work out to aid in muscle recovery.

Oh and I never ever work out on an empty stomach. If I totally screw up my timing, I'll have a small meal and wait and then work out for a shorter period as opposed to working out for a longer period on an empty stomach. That never works out for me.
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Best to eat within 30 min of completing your workout to start the recovery process, I prefer a recovery shake, but thats just me.
  • georgie181
    Options
    if i have a class at night and my diet is low in nutrients through out the day then I do NOT have the same drive and energy, I usually eat between 1 and 2 hrs before workout and drink plenty of water or I feel sluggish and get out of breath easier. regular balanced meals means I work out harder and I always feed those muscles too with protein and carbs within a half hour of my work out, eating healthy and clean also
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Doesn't matter, it's personal preference. What matters when it's all said and done is if you created a calorie deficit or not

^^^

What you are doing is fine.
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

This.

It all comes down to personal preference.
    I just recently tried having fruit only for a pre-workout and I love it. Before that I was usually going to the gym on an empty stomach because I just don't feel like eating when I wake up but I can handle a small tasty piece of fruit. Try different things and see what works!
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I usually have a snack pre-workout, such as fruit or some kind of cereal or muesli bar, etc. to give me a little energy boost. Then I do my workout and have my dinner afterwards :) I don't like having a large meal before hand, it makes me a little more sluggish and I can't work as hard. It's personal preference though.
  • TheWidget
    TheWidget Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Eat small before, larger after, if you can. You'll have less energy to exercise with if your body is busy digesting. Ever wonder why old people take naps after Sunday roast?
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am usually pretty comfortable with eating on my way or just before heading to the gym. My only concern was how famished I get right after the workout. But, I make sure protein is my go-to in a meal or snack.