Exercise Recovery Question

Options
I began my weight loss/exercise program a week ago and I am so sore everyday! I've been working out 2-3 times a week for a few months but last week was the first week with MFP. I'm currently doing a combination of cardio/weight lifting at the gym. I take core/cardio classes at the gym as well. If I can't get to the gym, I do a home workout from Body Rock or Warriorz (Zuzanna). The problem is, I'm so sore that I don't want to work out the next day!

I know its important to have recovery days, and I do give myself 2-3 every week. I also warm up/stretch, before and after every workout and drink plenty of water. I'm mentally committed to working out 4-5 times a week but I hurt all over, so much that its hard to walk.

Is this normal? What can I do to ease the pain so I can keep working out?

Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling
    Dynamic Stretching before working out
    Static Stretching after working out
    Ice Hot/Bengay
    Cold Showers
    get blood flowing in sore area
  • Melbot1000
    Melbot1000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling
    Ice Hot/Bengay
    Cold Showers

Sounds good! But should I still work out if I'm in pain? Just push through it?
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling
    Ice Hot/Bengay
    Cold Showers

Sounds good! But should I still work out if I'm in pain? Just push through it?

All of the suggestions above are excellent. Also, another thing you could do is do a "light" day when muscles are still sore--walking, yoga, an "easy" or modified version of your regular workout. Moving gently will get the blood flowing to those sore muscles and you will actually feel better than if you do nothing at all for a whole day. Listen to your body--if something you're doing causes pain, stop and change what you're doing. Your muscles hurt because working them out causes microscopic tears in the muscle fibers. Giving them recovery time to rebuild themselves is absolutely essential! As you get used to this level of exercise, they will be less sore and you can push yourself harder to increase your progress.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Play it by ear. as you exercise more you'll become more familiar with your own body.

For me personally I just push through the pain, but that is what works for me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling
    Ice Hot/Bengay
    Cold Showers

This is solid, but I'd leave out the IcyHot/Bengay suggestion. And add ibuprofen (2 before you workout, 2 after you're done) if you really feel you need it.

But you probably won't need it. The pain and discomfort you feel right now is at it's worst right now. Your body will adapt quickly and won't get 10% as sore after working out. This week will be better than last week, and next week you'll feel just fine.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Hold your horses :)

It's great that you're motivated! It's totally normal to be all gung ho when you start out (I was).

But you're introducing 1) new movements to your muscles, connective tissues, and brain at 2) new intensities at 3) great frequency in a basically unconditioned state.

It is going to take a bit of time for your body to adjust to load, any impact, etc.

Doing too much too soon ups your risk of overtraining, mistakes in form, and injury.

If I were you (or if I could go back in time), I'd stick to 3 days a week of exercise FOR NOW, at a moderate intensity. This means that, thanks to the repeated bout effect, in up to 9-10 days' time, you will be able to handle greater intensity without as much pain. In the meantime, concentrate on making sure you're using proper form. I'd do this for 6-8 weeks, and THEN add intensity or frequency (more days exercising).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness#Repeated-bout_effect

If you really feel you want to be active every day, you can do active recovery like brisk walking or easy swimming, which helps your muscles recover from the strain of more intense cardio or lifting.
  • Melbot1000
    Melbot1000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, its good to know that what I'm feeling is kind of normal. I will try out the suggestions!
  • georgie181
    Options
    thats good it means your doing things right! I like having a hot bath, hot tea, ibuprofen, fast absorbing protein (shake/bar) and most importantly for me SLEEP! sneaky nap in the day is also handy if your lucky enough to be able to do that