Subway's Calorie Count vs our database

Options
I was just noticing today that Subway has a tool that allows a person to create their own sandwich and it provides the calorie count as ingredients are added or subtracted. I chose a 12" wheat ham and turkey with mayo, mustard, olives, peppers, lettuce, tomato, spinach and onions. Subway says that sandwich should be ~498 calories. I haven't found that to be the case from our database. Anyone know why there would be a discrepancy?

dannyg772

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Because MFP users are the ones entering the information. Human error.
  • erinmick2
    erinmick2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I was adding Subway just the other day and came across the same thing. I was too lazy to enter my own info, so I just picked an MFP user's sandwich that was close to mine.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Because you also don't know if the MFP member added or deleted condiments and included that in the description. I dont get any condiments on my sub so it will definitely be different than any other 6" Roasted Chicken Sub. Things like that I never go off of the database but enter it in my meals.
  • dannyg772
    Options
    Well, I've decided to record all of the Subway sandwiches that I plan on eating regularly using Subway website and our MyFoods tool. I am entering the precise figures that Subway publishes.

The last item of some concern is: does Subway shave here and there on their calorie count or are they honest.

In any case, I love this mfp application. :0)
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm missing the tool to calculate total calories on the sandwich. Where do I find that on the subway website?
  • dannyg772
    Options
    Click on any of their subs and you will get a button that says "Calculate Yours"

Try this link

http://www.subway.com/Menu/Product.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&ProductId=5&MenuId=53&MenuTypeId=1
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I looked right past the button to calculate yours. Thanks! I love subway and love that I can have a good idea of how many calories are in it with the way I like it!
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    I trust the Subway website over anything in the MFP database. The database is just full of wrong numbers that people never double-checked.

Even so, the employees aren't going to give you exactly the same amount of ingredients every time, so even the company's own numbers are an estimate.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I trust the Subway website over anything in the MFP database. The database is just full of wrong numbers that people never double-checked.

Even so, the employees aren't going to give you exactly the same amount of ingredients every time, so even the company's own numbers are an estimate.

This
  • caro1275
    caro1275 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This is great!!! I eat Subway a few times a week. So helpful!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

This
    I believe by law, food establishments are able to go over or under by 20% when charting their nutritional info. To me that's a lot but for whatever reason they can do it.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    My calculations says my tuna sub would come to 490, but in Subway (store) the posters say it's 377, and I never use cheese and I use the lowest fat sauce there is. I'm confused.
  • dannyg772
    Options
    My calculations says my tuna sub would come to 490, but in Subway (store) the posters say it's 377, and I never use cheese and I use the lowest fat sauce there is. I'm confused.
    I would guess that the hardest thing about calculating a tuna Subway sandwich calorie count yourself is that you don't know how much mayo was used nor how much tuna they give you (in ounces). I'm guessing that you'll get more variation from the tuna sandwich than you will from say the ham or turkey.