Is it wise to start Insanity or 30DS?

Options
Basically at the moment I do:

Muay Thai Boxing on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Yoga on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

The gym, 3-4 times a week. Days switch, I try to alternate them one day there, one day off, though they can often go Wed-Thurs-Fri (because it slots in nicely with my college schedule). In a nutshell, I'm training to get army fit. My trainer at the gym has me on a schedule that works my whole body, though there's concentration on my upper body strength and running at the moment. I'm trying to get from couch to running a mile and a half in under twelve minutes as well as basic training so I can do pull ups and push ups. It hurts, lemme tell ya, but it's all progress.

I've been toying with the idea of starting Insanity or the 30 Day Shred, but I hear you get really damn sore after the workouts? Literally to the point where people can't move (or at least they say as much!) I really want to do them but I'm not sure how they'll work with my current schedule of exercise. I don't want to be so sore I can't do my Muay Thai efficiently or put my all into the gym.

Are they workouts generally aimed for people that do them and little else? Like, you'd do Insanity and that counts towards a good portion of your exercise for the week? I don't know. Just asking opinions on whether I should start or not anyways! Want to get my facts down before I spend the money on them.

Thanks guys! (Promise, no more silly questions today, I'm sure I've posted like 1000 threads.)

Replies

• carebearhere
    carebearhere Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Level 2 of the 30DS, and for me, being moderately active before starting, it wasn't too bad, my quads hurt for a bit but then it was all good, so I reckon since you're pretty fit already, the 30DS would be fine
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    30DS is fine after the first day or two although I'm only on level 1, I've heard level 2 is a real killer! I do extra walking and swimming in addition to 30DS
  • determined136
    Options
    I will be totally honest....I started Insanity and wanted to die for about 4 days....I cussed, moaned, literally cried....

But I have muscles that I didn't know exhisted now.

If you do Insanity you can start with the fit test. Trust me you will know the next day if you are going to power through! BEST OF LUCK
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've never done 30DS but I've done most of Insanity. I think that Insanity is really made to be your only exercise for the week (it's a 6 day/week program). There were days when I felt like I could have done more exercise if I really wanted to push it, but didn't. I had great results with it too (starting again today)! I know some people on MFP do additional exercise with Insanity. But I honestly don't know how! I think the way Insanity is built is for each video to be way too difficult for any normal human being to complete. I felt like no matter how much I improved I still wasn't doing the videos 100% (and I like to think I'm in ok shape). I'm sure some of the fitness buffs on MFP can though! Hope this helps!
  • kittenkirst
    kittenkirst Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've started doing 30DS and am not very fit but have been really enjoying it, I had some stiffness after the first few attempts but thats now gone. I dont do it everyday (as started to do bootcamp at 6am Tuesdays so dont want to overdo it). Give it a go; I find her really motivating :0)