Yoga or Pilates DVD suggestions needed

Options
Over the last few weeks I've discovered that I really need to work on getting my core in better shape and I was thinking maybe some yoga or pilates would help. I also do the C25K program 3x a week and have been doing a boot camp style workout 3x a week as part of an office wellness program.

Looking for suggestions for beginner level DVD's that while teach you the different poses, doesn't spend so much time on the "teaching" that it interrupts the flow of the workout. Prefer DVD's as I don't always have internet access.

Replies

• jessalleyne
    Options
    I use a Pliates/Yoga set from Gaiam that I really like. I also have some of Mari Winsor's Pilates - which are really, really good. As for Yoga - there are so many to choose from.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I have a Yoga Zone video called Yoga Sculpting which I LOVE! It has several sessions on it,and I will often do a few back to back, and they all are slow, explain poses, have adjustments for beginners, and focus a lot on core strength. I love them.

I also have a Rodney Yee video that is Yoga for Back Care and it's pretty good but sometimes he throws in complicated poses. When I was a beginner, I didn't like it as much. But it is a good video for maybe after you get the hang of the basic yoga positions.
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Check out ddpyoga.com. It is a good workout and he gives yo 13 basic moves In One session. He ha changed some of the names of traditional yoga, it is is fun. Forgive the typos.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I purchased 3 dvds from Gaiam, exhale mindbodyspa: Core Fusion thighs and glutes, Core Fusion Pilatesplus, and Core Fusion Body Sculpt (still pending for me try, use small hand weights), with wife Elizabeth Halfpapp and husband Fred Devito. INTENSE pilates (5) 10 min. workouts using your own weight, 1-2 mins. cardio low impact, training and ends with stretching. I am actually loving this workouts as I am using my own weight and pretty intense and interesting moves. Pilates Plus, one segment yesterday, I was flopping like a fish, .LOL I kept going despite incident. I am not very balance coordinated lifting my legs while seating and lifting up and down. Enjoying the workout, as I am burning a little more than Winsor Pilates (another excellent recommendation from MFP friend. I love both programs, I burn about 30 calories for every ten minutes for a 40 yo, 5'1and 105 lbs. Hope this helps. I am choosing these programs due to knee injury, including arthirities and dealing with a baker's cyst.

Great day, :flowerforyou:
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xoTammyox
    xoTammyox Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Check out blogilates.com Cassey is awesome!
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow, get on youtube.com and stream Erin Huggins. Do the beginner pilates workout. It is AWESOME for beginners. :) She has lots of other great videos as well. And, it's free! :D
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee is amazing! I have a lot of his dvds and they're all good (but I agree, quite difficult a lot of the time). I really like Yoga Shakti by Shiva Rea.
  • kkemrer
    Options
    Jillian Micheals yoga melt down. :)
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    Check out blogilates.com Cassey is awesome!

This is great but difficult when you have problems with vision, difficult for me to follow. Perhaps, I can burn a CD and put it on my dvd....Great choice too!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    bump
  • superflus
    Options
    I really like Bob Harper's Yoga for the Warrior. The disc is five bucks on his website right now.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you like something challenging that will make you sweat your *kitten* off, check out MTV yoga and power yoga. I've been doing them for years and people think I'm a real yogi and stuff... :)
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The Lotte Burk Method Hip Hugger Abs. Not quite Yoga or Pilates but, it will make your core rock hard.
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    i need to buy windsor pilates again, i was very toned when i did those dvds a few years back
  • ajsminer
    ajsminer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The BEST that I have found-- tried a few-- is "Namaste Yoga with Kate Potter". FANTASTIC. Its the way I stretch out every morning. She will coach you sweetly, gently, and slowly. She remembers to tell you when to breathe. She uses repetition so you don't get overwhelmed & lost. The women on the screen are gorgeous and so is the background scenery! * * * * four stars!
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    On Youtube, check out Shilpa Shetty yoga.. the whole DVD itself is an hour long but on Youtube they have it broken down category-wise..When you are short of time, you can only do the 15-min combo video of the most powerful ones only..
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    i need to buy windsor pilates again, i was very toned when i did those dvds a few years back

Love your username! Winsor Pilates is fabulous agree, great compolete body workout and thighs!
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    MInd asking, off the topic. How often do you practice pilates and yoga any of you who reply. I have a significant knee injury and no elliptical, cycling, running, uphill walking but yes to PILATES and YOGA. I seldom see pics related to those that are extremely dedicated to this form of exercises.
  • tarapickett
    tarapickett Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do Pilates a few times a week and I really like Ellen Barrett! I have done quite a few of her videos and really like all of them. Kristin McGee also has some good videos. If you have an iPad she has a few free ones on her app.