Can't seem to eat before noon.

Options
As a fist time and new Mom I am finding it next to impossible to eat before noon each day. By the time I take care for the baby, exercise and get cleaned up it is noon already. Because of not being about to fuel my body correctly with enough nutrition I haven't lost any weight for more than a month. Help?!

Replies

• Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem, as a matter of fact I am eating the first time today and it is 3 pm. I will check back and see if you get any good advice. Good luck!!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    maybe try working out earlier in the morning?

I work out at 530 am, and am STARVED by 830 ... but if I dont' work out early, I am not hungry til later in the morning
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat early in the day to lose weight.....unless by not eating earlier, you become ravenous and eat all the food once you get around to it.

Your body doesn't work on a time-clock. It works on energy balance (calories in and out.) Many people skip breakfast and eat larger meals later to help control their intake. Do what works for you. But not eating breakfast in and of itself will not affect weight loss.

You may need to eat more or less in general....is your Food Diary open?
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It's a massive myth that breakfast "kick starts" your metabolism. Breaking your sleep-fast at noon is perfectly fine. There is some potential evidence that it may be beneficial to eat within a small time frame and eat nothing for the remaining hours of the day (intermittent fasting).
  • lorielovehailey
    lorielovehailey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Protein shake. "Eat" on the go. I like the AdvantEDGE shakes. 110 calories, 17 grams of protein, 4 carbs.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    That's not why you're not losing weight. If you open your diary we could see what's going on. Are you eating additional calories if you're breastfeeding?
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    What are you eating im doing intermitent fasting, which means im not eating till 12 or 1pm. Im doing it again coz ive put on a little but it does work so i really dont think its that. Open your diary and we can look to see what your having anf maybe see a answer.
  • annejuju
    annejuju Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's good that you recognize you're not fueling your body enough. I agree with trying some kind of protein shake or smoothie in the morning, make it the night before and have it in hand in the morning.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not eating until noon will not slow your weight loss. It's something else. You mention not being able to fuel your workouts. Does that mean you skip them because you are too tired and/or hungry. Can you switch the time of your workout? Can you try eating later at night so that you don't wake up so hungry? How about some type of protein shake for breakfast that you can drink while caring for your baby?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    A glass of full fat milk? Some cereal even...a slice of toast.

Even as a new mommy you should keep up your eating!
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I had a simmilar issue when my daughter and then my son was first born. My mom actually taught me a neat trick for this. When you get home from the grocery store cut up and measure then baggie or tupperware some fruits and veggies. That way when you feed the baby you can prop them on a pillow on your lap. I found if I sat cross leged then used the pillow and one hand for the bottle I could munch on fruits or veggies and give a soothing caress in between bites. When I was nursing I used the same method. While you don't have to eat in the am I found that the only way I could keep myself from making bad choices (for the quick I am starving issues) was to have a little something.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO EAT IN THE MORNING

I hope that was large enough for you to read that.
    If you cant eat it all in the morning... GOOD. You're lucky!

You still need the same calories for the day, but if you can make it to noon without eating or snacking, then you can eat larger, more filling meals to reach the same daily calorie goals.

Try checking out Intermittent Fasting.. you sound like a great candidate for it.
    Leangains.com is a good resource.. It isnt written directly for you as a target audience, but it has plenty of good info on it.
    I also recommend you read a book called Eat-Stop-Eat....
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If your little one is old enough to be eating finger foods then I would start doing cereal and toast for her for breakfast and then while your at it make some for yourself. I do a lot of smoothies for breakfast as another poster mentioned, I cut up all the fruits the night before so that it's very simple to throw everything in and blend it up real quick. On days that I don't do smoothies, my boys (age 4 and 2) and I do toast with peanut butter or something as equally quick. Breakfast doesn't have to be a big ordeal, just do something quick after your workout.
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Any of us that have kids understand what your going through. It takes time to get into a new routine after having a baby. I suggesting trying to prepare as much in advance as you can. Pick something for breakfast that you can grab real quick and eat while you are feeding the baby. I've mixed eggs, broccoli and cheese together in muffin tins and then baked it and then frozen them. Easy quick nutritious meal. You can get bowl and cereal out the night before. English muffin w/pb, protein bar. You could also try planning your whole day out the night before. You gotta take care of yourself so you can take care of your family!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Protein shake!!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    There's actually a whole group of people on here that do this on purpose. You might want to look up IF (intermittent fasting). Apparently there is actually a benefit to eating all of your food within a give period of time, provided you actually eat your caloric goal for the day.

Edit to add: I do not partake in IF, but I do have friends that do.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Ive got 2 kids and have always had time to get some food, theres always something you can grab.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    There's actually a whole group of people on here that do this on purpose. You might want to look up IF (intermittent fasting). Apparently there is actually a benefit to eating all of your food within a give period of time, provided you actually eat your caloric goal for the day.

Edit to add: I do not partake in IF, but I do have friends that do.

I do. and its awesome.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You're not losing weight because you're not in a caloric deficit. Not because you don't eat breakfast. I eat my first meal at around 2 pm every day and I've lost plenty of weight by making sure I stay in a good calorie range. Are you measuring and weighing everything, or just estimating? That can cause an inaccurate calorie count.
  • GinaRicky
    GinaRicky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. There are some great tips in here for time management and food prep that I will be sure to try.