Chili recipe?

Options
Does anyone out there have an excellent chili recipe? Hoping to make a big batch here. Preferably very healthy and full of protein and fiber. Thank you everyone!

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    MIne's pretty simple: I buy pre-packaged chili seasoning, kidney beans right from the can, a fresh diced onion, and diced tomatoes - also right from the can. I use 90% lean (or better) ground beef - although you could use ground turkey too.

The chili seasoning is pretty high in sodium, so if you're a spice person you could probably make something better.... but it works for me. Anyway, it's got lots of fiber and protein, is low in fat and tastes really good! Depending on how much and what kind of meat you use will make the calories vary - but shouldn't be too bad now matter how you make it!

:smile:
  • jsturman
    jsturman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can always substitute chicken instead of beef or turkey.................I also add corn sometime!
  • amybeth45
    Options
    there are many great ones on the Cooking Light website. you can choose from meat, veggie, ground turkey, etc. I've made many over the years and they are almost all great. As a nice bonus, they freeze well and all the nutritional info is right there. good luck.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    2 lbs ground turkey breast
    2 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
    1 medium red pepper, cored and diced
    1 medium green pepper, cored and diced
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    2 (15 oz) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 (15 oz) cans of garbanzo (chick peas) beans, drained and rinsed
    1 (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes, un-drained
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp oregano
    fresh ground pepper
    sea salt to taste (optional)

In large pot, brown turkey with onions and drain off excess fat. Place veggies, half the garlic and oil in pot and saute until tender. add beans and un-drained tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add spices and the rest of the garlic, mix well. simmer for 5 more minutes. add pepper and sea salt to taste.

Freezes great in a tupperware container or ziploc baggies.

Serves: 12 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups

Nutritional info per serving: 378 calories, 29 grams of protein, 44 grams of carbs, 10 grams of fat, 9.6 grams of fiber.

I actually make a double batch of this at one time, we'll have it for dinner with a side salad. Then I break it down into ziploc baggies (1 1/2 cups in a baggie) and freeze them. I can pull out one bag if I want a lunch or I'll pull out 4 bags at a time if I'm making it for dinner for hubby and I. Then I still have a little leftover for a couple of lunches for myself.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Really easy recipe here:

1 lb ground turkey
    1 can reduced sodium kidney beans
    1 can diced tomatoes, lime & cilantro flavored (or if you really want to bring the heat, try diced tomatoes with chipotle chilies)
    1 packet chili seasoning (or concoct your own)

brown ground turkey, drain if necessary. Add beans, tomatoes, and seasoning. Simmer 20 mins. Serve & enjoy!

I also have a veggie chili recipe that's awesome!

HARVEST HOME VEGGIE CHILI

Ingredients
    Veggie chili:

Ingredients:
    rainbow bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange, 1 green)
    2 zucchini
    1 yellow squash
    4 potatoes
    1 can kidney beans, rinsed
    1 can corn
    1 can diced tomatoes (I like to use the cilantro & lime flavor)
    1 can Hunts zesty spaghetti sauce

Bring large pot of water to boil. Meanwhile chop/dice/cube/slice potatoes, squash, zucchini, and bell peppers. Throw in pot, add kidney beans. Allow to boil until potatoes are soft. Drain, return to pot. Add corn, diced tomatoes, and sauce, cook until warm. Top with cheddar, sour cream, salsa, and all your favorite chili fixins. Serve with tortilla chips or corn bread. Browned, drained ground beef may be added to recipe if desired.

The prep time on this is killer, because of all the chopping, but once you get it into the pot, it pretty much takes care of itself.
  • broylesbrittany
    Options
    Do you have any deer meat? its very lean and good for you! if so i have an awesome deer chili recipe!
  • jwziebarth
    jwziebarth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the terrific ideas and recipes. I'll be sure to let you know how my cooking goes this Sunday. It's going to be tough to pick out the best one! : )
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    We love this chili. I think it is the italian sausage.

All-American Chili from Cooking Light Magazine

Ingredients
    6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    8 garlic cloves, minced
    1 pound ground sirloin
    1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 bay leaves
    1 1/4 cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
    2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
    2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    Preparation
    Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage, onion, and the next 4 ingredients (onion through jalapeño) to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.

Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.

Note: Like most chilis, this version tastes even better the next day.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:375 (29% from fat)
    Fat:12g (sat 4.6g,mono 4.1g,poly 1.1g)
    Protein:28.9g
    Carbohydrate:33.7g
    Fiber:8.2g
    Cholesterol:59mg
    Iron:5mg
    Sodium:969mg
    Calcium:165mg
  • haleysman
    Options
    chili is one of those things that you have to feel out your own thing on and make it special...advice is use lean meat(i use 90/10 ground beef, but deer, turkey, chicken are all also popular), use fresh vegetables as much as possible(onion, peppers, tomatoes, garlic). if fresh are not in season, i recommend checking the labels on the cans and get the ones with the lowest sodium to keep it somewhat healthy. as far as the beans go, it's what you want to make of it and what you like, kidney, pinto, black are all in my fav list, again, buy dried and soak then add is the best if you must buy, keep an eye on the sodium in those cans, sometimes it can be ridiculous. as far as spice, salt and pepper, cayenne for heat, paprika and chili powder for color(but watch the sodium on the chili powder) and ground cumin is good for a little smokiness, and then any other spices you prefer...then it's just a matter of time till you find your personal pot of gold at the end of the flavor rainbow
  • mikematute
    Options
    Google for 'Men's Health 3 bean chili'. You'll find the recipe and nutritional info. I've made and had this several times. Good luck!