I wanna run!

Options
I have been wanting to try the couch to 5k thing I keep seeing.. But I have terrible knee's. They make a horrible grinding sound when I get up from a squatted position and are painful. Not unbearable pain but noticable. I've tried different joint supplements but havent seen any improvement.. I was wondering, do you think it is due to the extra weight and lack of muscle tone? If I were to keep up with my walking and slowly graduate into jogging would that injure them more or be ok? What do you guys think?

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    talk to your doc
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Get checked out first - at least by a physiotherapist (preferably a decent sports one) or a doc -- that sounds like it could do with sorting out anyway, regardless of whether you run! Also if you do start running, read up on technique and make sure you don't "overstride" as that puts lots of extra pressure on your knees -- I should know, am recovering from having overloaded mine running!!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor and therefore not truly qualified to give you any advice. But, if you want my opinion, I think it's probably a combination of excess weight AND lack of muscle tone. Depending on how heavy you are, you might want to just keep walking until you drop a lot more weight. As long as you are able to walk without aggravating the knees, you should. And, you really should talk to your doctor about the condition of your knees. As to supplements, I have found some that help ME. Inflamarest (helps the body have a healthy inflammation response), and potassium because I don't get enough from food (helps with muscle and tendon health/recovery) and Osteo Bi-Flex.

Good luck.
  • Kandi150
    Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor and therefore not truly qualified to give you any advice. But, if you want my opinion, I think it's probably a combination of excess weight AND lack of muscle tone. Depending on how heavy you are, you might want to just keep walking until you drop a lot more weight. As long as you are able to walk without aggravating the knees, you should. And, you really should talk to your doctor about the condition of your knees. As to supplements, I have found some that help ME. Inflamarest (helps the body have a healthy inflammation response), and potassium because I don't get enough from food (helps with muscle and tendon health/recovery) and Osteo Bi-Flex.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'm 5'9 187..... But I feel like I have 0 muscle tone. But walking doesnt hurt my knees at all.. Will def check with my doc and see if there is anything else I can do. Thanks :smile:
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with bgorum.
    First get it looked at by a doc. But focus on building muscle, and yes it could be due to the extra weight. (just my opinion, not qualified hehe)

I had the same problem for years until I started squatting and that has really helped (slowly build it up). And make sure you are stretching, have correct footwear and technique for running :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My first question is this - Why do you want to run?
  • Kandi150
    Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My first question is this - Why do you want to run?

Cause it looks like fun and a great way to get/stay in shape.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on this.....my body feels great.....except the knees. I always feel like i have the knees of a 100 yr old arthritic person. I know being heavy has put a hug strain on my knees and also have learned that flat shoes and flip flops contribute to it greatly. When i wear good support shoes ( any kind) they feel a bit better.

When i do squats or any bending to pick something up they hurt alot.. I have taken to wearing a knee brace ( flexable) to give it some support when i walk or do Zumba. I think if you want to try running do the couch to 5k program at your own pace not theirs. When i get on the treadmill i usually do 3 mins walking to 2 mins jogging for a half hour or so....otherwise my shins will kill me the next day as well.

As for supplements....i have taken one called Flexin with CM8 ( health food stores or online) for the hips long ago and it worked great. I am giving it another shot to see if it helps my knees ( says it will).

Good luck and you wont know until you just try. But if its TOO painful stop and see your Dr.
  • tad10301030
    tad10301030 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K this spring and haven't looked back. I have bad knees as well and here are some things that worked for me, everybody is different.

1. get checked out, both my knees are bad but manifest their crankiness in different ways. What you describds sounds like crepitus, best to find out for sure so you know what you are dealing with.

2. good shoes or the "right" shoes for your feet and gait.

3. TAKE IT SLOW! I am now able to run 4 miles without pain, the first week I could barely walk 1 without my knee swelling. Trust me the worst mistake is doing to much too soon.

4. Ice, in the beginning I always iced my knees after a walk/jog.

5. Don't forget other strength exercises to help stabilize the knee. Squats and glutes....you know the drill

6. For me stretching is key, I tend to have a tight IT band which aggravates my left knee.

I never thought I would enjoy running. I knew the weight loss and strength would help my knees but I never thought running would actually improve me knees as much as it has. I'm still very careful and listen to my body, there are some days when a walk will just have to do and hey- as long as I'm outside and moving, it's all good.

Have fun and good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • slpsparklette
    slpsparklette Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had this exact same problem!! I do weight training to help build muscle, and I slowly began running. I used the couch to 5k a little bit, the best thing for me was the intervals. At some point, without really realizing, the pain in both of knees are gone! Keep it up, go slow and it will get stronger! I also think losing almost 15 pounds has helped my joints!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    See a doc. It also wouldn't hurt to try wearing a brace. I have a knee issue and I wear a brace when I run.
  • kare4acure
    Options
    I had this exact same problem!! I do weight training to help build muscle, and I slowly began running. I used the couch to 5k a little bit, the best thing for me was the intervals. At some point, without really realizing, the pain in both of knees are gone! Keep it up, go slow and it will get stronger! I also think losing almost 15 pounds has helped my joints!

I agree with everything here!! slow muscle building helps to keep joins lubricated, I had the same problem with the discomfort. The "crackle" noise is still there but no more discomfort or pain!!
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I was a runner in HS so I knew I had the ability. However, I was able to run until I had lost quite a bit of weight. I just kept trying every five lbs. or so until I could do it without pain issues. Losing weight will take considerable stress off your joints. However, if there is a structural problem you'll certainly want a more professional opinion.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I tried C25K thinking my knees could do it, and they gave out long before I wanted them too. I had my gait analyzed, it was fine, my problem was really just weak muscles in my legs. I ended up doing 'exercises for bad knees' for 3-4 weeks ( tons of info if you google it) and then a little strength training. Now in re-starting C25K, I can FEEL the difference in the strength of my legs, and it made a huge difference for my knees.

I guess the moral of the story is, start slowly exercising your legs now, the stronger they are as a whole, the better your knees will fare. Also, as others have said, it can't hurt to have your doctor check them out too

Happy running, OP!
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Thanks. I'm 5'9 187..... But I feel like I have 0 muscle tone. But walking doesnt hurt my knees at all.. Will def check with my doc and see if there is anything else I can do. Thanks :smile:

Not necessarily. Big people can run too. Don't use it as an excuse (not saying YOU are, I'm just saying in general).

I'm 5'6 and I started running at 211 pounds. Granted it was no more than 2 minutes of easy jogging. But between the 211 and the 174 I am now I've worked up to running from 40 minute to over an hour, 3 miles up to 6, depending on the day. I had never run before and I couldn't have told you what a muscle was . . . so I wouldn't just think because you are a little heavier with no muscle tone that you can't run. I am shorter and was much heavier than you.

That being said it sounds like you might have knee problems to begin with so definitely check with a doctor :). Look into kinesio taping. Works wonders for my knees (which is really the only thing that aches and bothers me after long runs.

Good luck!
  • _workforit
    Options
    Talk to your doctor! I work in a physical therapy clinic & your symptoms sound very much like the beginnings of arthritis :ohwell: However, that doesn't mean you can't run!

AFTER getting the "okay" from your doctor. Start with intervals: 30 sec walking, 30 sec running. After one week: 1 min walking, 1 min running. After 2 weeks: 1 min walking, 2 min running. After 4 weeks: 1 min walking 5 min running. Ect, ect, ect. Or something like that! This is how I started running & now I'm training for a half marathon (13.1 miles). Its all about gradually working up to the big steps. Generally, you should only increase your distance/intensity by about 5-10% per week.
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I used to run back in the "good 'ole days," when I was about 90 lbs. lighter and 10 yrs. younger. But, I'm working my way back to it because I really love running. I think I probably want to lose about 35 lbs more before I start to run though, because of the leg and knee issue.

A friend of mine who is currently running gave me a website to check out that is very inspirational and so I thought you might want to take a look at it. Enjoy and keep working at the running. You'll be a runner before you know it!! :wink:

www.runsforcookies.com