New Runner- Any Advice?

Options
Hey Everyone,

I'm a pretty busy college student working two jobs and getting to the gym is a struggle. I am taking two PE classes this semester to help me get in shape but they only meet twice a week and I know I need to get more exercise than that. The easiest way for me to get more exercise in, is to run in the morning. However, I've always been a terrible runner. The only time I've ever been decent at it is when I was in high school sports and was forced to run.

What I'm looking for I guess, is any advice you have so that I can ease myself back into running? Thanks!

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    check out Coach 2 5k and get fitted for a proper pair of running shoes at your local running store.
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    check out Coach 2 5k

Seconded! This is how I got back into running. If you have a smart phone, there are a few apps available. Otherwise, do a google search and I hear there are exercises you can download for an mp3 player. Good luck!!
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady, and focus on breathing. Get the heart and lungs used to the sustained movement and worry about speed later.
  • ashleyconstantine
    Options
    Couch to 5k is amazing. I used to not be able to run at all... Now, I'm going a bit over 2 miles at a time. Defintely worth looking in to.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    bump!
  • a_moondragon
    Options
    Hi! I hated running all my life, unless it was on a softball field, and that was really short distances. :D When I bought some Vibram FiveFingers toe shoes, I realized that running could be fun! I didn't feel like I was pulling anchors up with every step.

I just started a Couch to 5k program using Run Double's Android app. I love that you can use time or distance-based goals. I use time-based goals because I want to be able to run without worrying much about how far I'm getting. http://www.rundouble.com/ is the website. They have a few different training plans.

Actually, today I'm between Day 2 and 3 and I really want to go out and run (go figure!) but I know I will probably injure myself if I don't take a rest day this early in my training. So, I'd say if I have any advice, pay attention to your body (and not just your will!) so that you keep yourself ready to go when you are starting out. You may have super strong legs/tendons. If so, go for it!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    And load up an iPod or mp3 player with some awesome tunes and go enjoy them! :D
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I will also enthusiastically say couch to 5k!!

I don't really like running, but up tempo music helps and I always have a power song ready to go for when I hit a hill, or feel like I can't run anymore.

As JM says, "Unless you faint, puke or die, KEEP GOING!"

That's how much I don't like running haha.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    check out Coach 2 5k and get fitted for a proper pair of running shoes at your local running store.

Yep, this ^^^
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I didn't do c25k. but i did just start running this year, in february. I started with intervals. I've done a 10k race, and now I'm training for a half marathon. Intervals help a great deal. Also, training slower really helps -- train in a lower heart rate/zone. Speed is not key, that will come. you have to build up your endurance. Before I started the half marathon training, the most i could run was like 10-12 minutes at a time, and it really tired me out.... i mostly just did intervals.... now running for 30 minutes straight is no problem... then I walk for a couple minutes, and start running again.... it's a great feeling.
  • ocarinaoftimid
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat - after buying a pair of running shoes I realized I couldn't even run/jog for more than a minute without getting tired. So I started (speed-)walking two miles every day. Every now and then during my walk I'll break out into a jog and go as far as I can, then continue walking. Now I try to walk four miles a day, and am able to jog a little more without getting tired. I suggest starting off light then slowly amp up your pace as your endurance increases.
  • JMFresh
    JMFresh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree... C25K is awesome! I just completed my week 5 day 2 workout... I would recommend not only good running shoes, but Dr. Scholls active series insoles, a really good stretch after each work out, and R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compress, elevate) your knees after each run as well. Take your time - speed will come after you've achieved distance. GOOD LUCK!!
  • biglew909
    biglew909 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know that shin splints can occur pretty quickly if you overtrain, so take your time.

Stew Smith is a trainer for Navy Seals. He advises that whenever you start running to take the third week of training off, since most overuse injuries (and ridiculously annoying shin splints) occur during that week.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

As JM says, "Unless you faint, puke or die, KEEP GOING!"

Haha!! This was my mantra for my first 5k... I gave myself a week to prepare for it. Yep, couch to 5k in a week :P I didn't faint, puke or die!

I got MAJOR shin splints. Get a good pair of shoes! I got fitted for shoes and it totally changed the way I run. I'm using an app called "Get Running" that's been really good so far. Every run has been challenging without killing me.
  • Gaz54Mau5
    Gaz54Mau5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Compression socks are your friend, they can help prevent shin splints :-) Don't hesitate to pick up a pair.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Join the group, read up, and, more importantly, just get out there. You don't have to start out a great runner to learn to enjoy it. Before I injured my knee I was doing intervals - jog, walk, jog - which is basically what C25K has you doing, gradually building your time. Speed is not a factor, you can work on that when you've got your endurance, breathing, and form more developed.

I enjoy walking/jogging because of the time to myself. It really is just you against the world. Hopefully you can find the same joy in it. Some people cannot, and running just isn't for them - they may be better with another sort of exercise plan. However... A peaceful walk never hurt anyone. :)
  • kwheelock
    kwheelock Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also suggest C25K! I am not a runner and it's been forever since I was running around playing sports. I started this 4 weeks ago and I've noticed a tremendous difference. If you choose to do this, I suggest downloading the free podcasts from the website. I play that so I know when to transition from walking to running, plus the music isn't completely lame :p Good luck!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't know how far you can run, but just take it nice and slow for a while. Run until you are out of time. Just run! :o) There are some training plans out there (couch to 5k, couch to 10k, etc) that can give you a schedule. When I first started running, I would go 3 miles maybe 3 times a week. My half marathon schedule called for 3miles, at least three times a week and a longer, slower run. Honestly, I think you should just get out there and run. If it feels like it's too easy, increase the mileage and/or speed. Look up info on good form, do a warm-up walk before and cool down walk after, and stretch after. That's all I have for ya. Oh, and most of all, ENJOY!!! :o)
  • rasmu505
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone :) Where can you find compression socks?
  • emmagallo
    Options
    check out Coach 2 5k

Seconded! This is how I got back into running. If you have a smart phone, there are a few apps available. Otherwise, do a google search and I hear there are exercises you can download for an mp3 player. Good luck!!

Such a great app. I started using C2K which I finished a couple of months ago now I'm working on C210K. It's helped me sooooo much. I ran 50 minutes last night without the huffing and puffing. I love the app.