Can I mess up my metabolism by undereating?

Options
Since maybe a week after seriously starting to record calories and exercise, putting what I have into actually losing weight I have noticed something. I can't seem to eat enough. I come in somewhere between 700 - 1200 calories a day. I am happy if I come in nearer to 1200 but I am usually in the high 700s to low 900s, you can look at my journal, I think it's viewable to MFP members.

I usually spend about an hour on the elliptical and depending on resistance I burn anywhere from 600 to 800 plus calories. I've actually been fine with this until a few weeks ago I tried to start the RushFit program and started to constantly feel so sick that I couldn't stand it. I ws advised by my husband to cut back on my time on the elliptical or the RushFit program until I got my calorie intake under control and I have been trying! Honestly!

I often feel ill when I over eat, like a balloon that is on the verge of exploding. I try to make the healthiest choices I can for what I do eat, but I am admittedly not perfect. Now that I have cut back on my exercise (eliminated the RushFit program for the time being) I am feeling better but still can't manage to eat more. Horrible indigestion in the late afternoon/evening keeps me from eating a bunch and when I see that I am under I usually don't do anything about it because of the indigestion and because I am just not hungry. So I have put no more effort into fixing my caloric intake.

Problem is, I was reading today and I read that one can mess up their metabolism by not taking in enough fuel. Meaning one can cause their body to go into a storage mode where it will fight to hold onto fat. Perhpas it's too early to be worried about this because I haven't plateaued, but weight loss has slowed to what feels like a crawl to me.

I thought losing weight was a matter of math, calories in vs. calories out. And if I was taking in enough to feel good, workout without feeling like I was going to drop dead, and had enough energy during the day to make it through then I was ok, even if it was under what I should be taking in. In fact I thought i would help me lose my 2 lbs a day.

So, I am looking for advice, tips, and any other helpful knowledge regarding the matter of caloric intake as I do NOT want to cause any long term metabolism issues. I just got started a few weeks ago and have such a long way to go.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you eat at too big a deficit, hormonal changes slow bodily functions (like growth and repair) and your BMR falls. Hence, your weight loss slows down again. Eventually you reach a point where you can't eat any less without literally starving yourself of vital macro and micronutrients, which is why it's advisable to use a sensible deficit.

Hunger is a hormonal response triggered by your eating patterns, so no hunger is sometimes a symptom of a suppressed metabolism.

Do what you will, but I advise you to really reconsider what you're doing and especially the long term consequences of your actions as you're so young.
  • tenaheff
    Options
    Well, many claim you will go into starvation mode and your body will cling to your fat if you eat too few calories. I know you will eventually lose weight regardless of how few calories you eat. This is evidenced by those with eating disorders and those starving in third world countries. However, you will lose a lot of muscle in the process.

You really should eat 1200 calories a day at a minimum even if you don't eat back all of your exercise calories. If you know you have a problem with indigestion in the evenings then eat more in the mornings and afternoons instead.

Tena
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well, look up "starvation mode". Half the people here will tell you it's a myth, but most reputable nutritionists and trainers will tell you there is *something* to the idea that if you deprive your body enough, it will hold on to whatever it can get.

Pretty much no one here doing this in a healthy way will tell you it's "ok" to eat under 1200. I would ask you what your goals are and what your results have been so far. You definitely need to do what works for you, but I would be really worried about eating that little.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: YES!!!

1200 min net calories unless under Drs. care.

Too little calories, water and protein. More of these!!!!

Lots of simple carbs and fast/processed foods. Try for more lean meats, veggies whenever possible!!

Spread exercise out to a more even 3-4 days instead of one huge day.

Even at 1200 that might not be enough, check your settings on MFP and make sure they are correct and what calorie intake they recommend!!!

Best of Luck!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe see a Dr for your digestive issues. There might be a physical problem.

Second eat calories dense food like nuts, healthy oils, full fat milk products.

3rd......consider the fact that you might be developing disordered eating. It can happen to the best of us.

You can't expect your body to perform if you are not feeding it properly. If you burn 800 calories a day you should eat 2000 calories because this is how this site work.

Please take care of yourself of you will end up like so many that mess up their metabolism so badly that they gain weight eating very little and it is not a life.

Hug
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I looked through about 10 days of your diary.

You need to up your water consumption.

You are averaging less than 1 serving of fruits and veggies a day. Seldom is there even a serving of both and some days there are none at all.

It looks as though what you are eating is highly processed. Lots of take out and items from cans and boxes. You aren't showing sodium but my guess is it should be very high.

Also, protein has to be low. It's hard to tell but it seems it could be.

You state you want to get healthy. I understand. I do too! I'm starting with increasing my fresh fruits and vegetable servings. When I'm not using fresh I'm opting for frozen. Canned comes in a distant third and then only for green beans and some tomato products.

Make your changes one at a time.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If you eat at too big a deficit, hormonal changes slow bodily functions (like growth and repair) and your BMR falls. Hence, your weight loss slows down again. Eventually you reach a point where you can't eat any less without literally starving yourself of vital macro and micronutrients, which is why it's advisable to use a sensible deficit.

^^^ what he said.

Based on what I see from your food diary, you need to eat more real foods and less of things that come out of a packet.

beef
    eggs
    salmon
    nuts
    olive oil
    chicken
    veg and fruit

foods like this are denser in protein and good fats and so are naturally higher in calories.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Some great advice here. Please listen to it! You'll do very well then.
  • onceuponariot
    onceuponariot Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If it were purely a numbers game, you'd be losing around half a pound per day because of your BMR, so clearly it's not just a numbers game.

In the Minnesota Starvation Study, participants were put on a 1500 calorie diet and they initially lost a lot of weight and then plateued. These are people whose maintenance amount of calories was 2000-3500 calories per day. Yes, their, and your, metabolisms got messed up. Again, if it were pure numbers, there should have been no plateau.

Feeling a lack of hunger can be hormonal, feeling physically full (but still possibly having a hormonal hunger) can result from a high amount of fiber or a condition called gastroparesis, most commonly found in eating disorder patients. It's where your stomach isn't digesting food as quickly as it should be (my nutritionist says you still get the calories, I'm assuming she's telling the truth), so you can feel physically full and like your stomach is stretched out while also having a calorie deficit and denying your body what it needs. I know this might sound like an awesome thing for dieting, but it's really not. It's a symptom I got from disordered eating and isn't fun at all.

If eating larger quantities of food is making your stomach hurt, eat higher calorie versions of them to get to a healthy calorie range, at least 1500 calories but probably more like 1700, if you're not exercising. Stop eating fat free items and opt for their regular versions instead. Your brain and body need it, and you'll be able to get your calories without feeling so ill.
  • ribena1958
    Options
    hmm I agree too, you need to start cooking and not packets foods, they are empty foods
  • Yes you can, but I understand... I have health issues too and it's hard to eat enough most days unless I eat energy dense things that I find easy to digest, which also happen to be unhealthy, like chocolate, peanut butter, nutella, pop-tarts, protein bars, cake, muffins, etc. If I eat a bowl of raw veggies or some salad with chicken or a cup of yogurt for example I will be in SO MUCH PAIN it's not even funny...I'd rather eat a slice of pie and have no pain.

I definitely messed up my metabolism by eating less to avoid stomach pain for too many years.

Someone my height/weight/activity level SHOULD maintain on 1400 without exercise, but I maintain on 1000 - 1200. If I eat more than that on a regular basis I gain weight. I've tried many times. In fact, I ate 1600 a day for three weeks straight once because I went through a "hungry phase" and I GAINED seven pounds. No one can tell me that was just water gain. Some of it was, sure, but most was fat.

If I listen to my body though IT IS HAPPY eating 1000 - 1200, that's all my stomach wants in it. If I eat more I'm in physical pain. So I don't mind maintaining on that amount anymore. If you can't see yourself eating a low intake like that for the rest of your life though then yeah you need to be eating more now.

Weight loss isn't just a numbers game, there are other factors...you have to take into account sodium intake, whether or not you are having regular BMs, if you exercising (your muscles will retain water), time of the month if you are a woman, whether or not you are undergoing a calorie increase/decrease from your usual intake and your body needs time to adjust, etc.

Also you should make sure you take a multi-vitamin & calcium supplements everyday. You probably are not getting enough nutrients/vitamins just through your food due to your stomach issues. I know I didn't...I ended up severely vitamin D deficit and borderline anemic.
  • healthlovernut
    Options
    At a glance for your food diary...

You may feel bloated (like you're going to explode) because your diet is made up almost 100% of salty processed foods and sugar.

You could really excel if you added in fresh vegetables and fruits. This does not include corn, or white potatoes. You are not even close to getting the vitamins and minerals your body desperately needs. There has to be some you like. They are easy to prep in advance and add into all your meals and snacks.

Healthy carbs, try to keep your fiber grams at 3 or more per slice of bread and the sugar below 2 grams. Try wild rice, quinoa, lentils and other beans to get great energy and even proteins.

Also, your water consumption is very low.

Lean protein is missing, or in the form of processed meats.

Maybe grill up a bunch of chicken breasts one day so you can incorporate them into your meals. Or try greek yogurt which has more protein than regular yogurt.

Focus on getting your calories up to 1200, never below 1100.

Try to incorporate strength training and cut back on cardio. When you strength train and build lean muscle, you will burn more calories and see more definition. Cardio 2-3 times per week, strength train 2-3 times per week.

Hope this helps!
  • dygitalgirl
    dygitalgirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome input so far. I'm still very new to this. My water intake is so low lately due to being sick, I know, no excuse,probably need it now more than any other time. Bad me! Started it up again today and I think I did well with it at 10 glasses. 8 is my norm. Water does often leave me with the same water balloon feeling as too much food, I think I am just not used to it, but I really fight to get it down.

I also realize I eat a lot of processed foods. The explanation behind that is coming off a very bad diet of tons of fast foods and junk food. I decided just to eat less and less of what I used to, start incorporating better choices. Still working on that but even this post is helpful for that. While I thought I was doing pretty good (for me), to see my diary through other peoples eyes and comments is immensely valuable. I am making more plans to cook healthier for my family as a whole, collecting recipes, planning next weeks meals, coupon clipping. They are all very used to hamburger helpers and high fat/calorie comfort foods (my moms recipes). And since I have been sick for the past couple weeks when the hubby says "you want me to go to taco bell so you don't have to cook tonight?" I accept. Bad me! I know. Learning process! :)

And yes, I take in A LOT of salt. I crave it and have very low blood pressure so I have always thought it to be no big deal that I eat so much. Bad habit.Gonna have to work on that.

The one good thing I do do that is not recorded is that I take daily vitamins. I have a medical issue where my body does not absorb folic acid correctly so since my last pregnancy, when this was discovered, I have been taking extra folic acid. I also take a daily multi-vitamin, vitamin C supplement, fish oil, and a vitamin B supplement, I think 6, but can't say for sure unless I go look. So I do take a crap load of vitamins all indicated by my Dr. I know, it's not enough. But I forgot to add that little part and forgot that it's not recorded in the diary anywhere.

Anyhow, thanks for all the input, I really do appreciate it. I believe what you've said so far helps me and I will also do what I can to take in at least the 1100 to 1200 calories, 1100 - 1200 HEALTHIER CALORIES. ;)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes you can. Eat your food.