OPTIFAST 800

Options
Hi all. First, let me give you a little background information. Last February, a few people from work started the OptiFast 800 diet. They live in an area where they have the support of a wellness center. There, they did all their blood work and then started the diet. They went to the weekly meetings for support and things actually worked out well for every single one of them.

Where I live, there aren't any "support centers" so to speak so I found myself having to do this on my own. No problem there actually. I went to my doctor where I asked them to do a complete physical. Surprisingly, even though I weighed in at 285 pounds, every single number came back as "perfect." I'm not really sure how that happened but I'm not going to question it! LOL!!

After doing the blood work, I ordered the shake powder off of Amazon and began the diet last week (9/9/12). As I said, I weighed in at 285 that day. I could hardly believe what I was seeing in just the first week. Just one week into it, on 9/16/12, I weighed in at 274. 11 pounds in the first week isn't bad. I compared that to the other guys at work and they said they all lost somewhere around 8-10 pounds so I know I'm on track.

Here's the reason for this post...

All the guys at work religiously drank just the 5 shakes per day and had absolutely NO food whatsoever. I didn't go that extreme route. I have been doing 4 shakes per day with a dinner salad every night. I am having a shake when I wake up (between 6am and 8am), a shake at around 11 or noon, another one at around 3 or 4, then eating a salad at around 5 or 6, and finishing off the day with a shake around 8 or 9. The salads are mixed greens with either a piece of grilled chicken or salmon on top. I'm normally using balsamic vinegar and oil as my dressing.

This is obviously working for me BUT... what I want to know is if this is OK to do. Meaning, is there some sort of health risk associated with modifying this diet by only having 4 of the 5 shakes and replacing the 5th shake with a meal? Four shakes add up to 640 calories. I'm thinking that the salad with the chicken or salmon is somewhere around 250 to 300 tops. That means I'm still consuming less than 1000 calories per day.

So.. is that "safe" or not?

Replies

• semhe
    semhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    you'll be okay, if your body gets stressed and needs more, itll let you know. Just throw in a piece of fruit. i think the biggest damage is going to be to your wallet.... try slimfast and protein bars from the supermarket.... same concept... half the price
  • pwalmer
    Options
    LOL! When I ordered the packets online from Amazon, it came out to $470. That was for 168 packets. At 4 packets per day, that will last me 42 days. That's $11 a day for the diet. Believe me, I ate a lot more than $11 every day. LMAO!!
  • pwalmer
    Options
    BTW.. your avatar photo looks great! That's the change I'm looking for. Great job!
  • mfblecha
    mfblecha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Optifast plans that they do in New Zealand and Australia are exactly what you're doing. Well, sort of anyway. They drink 3, 4 or 5 shakes per day depending on how much they have to lose, then eat 2 cups of greens at night with nothing else. The important thing is to not eat any carbs, especially fruit or anything with sugar. If you cheat, do it with protein only. The key to success with Optifast is that after a few days you will go into Ketosis and no longer be hungry. If you have ANY extra carbs, you will come right out of Ketosis, and have to start from square one. Good luck! :smile:
  • pp67
    pp67 Posts: 26
    Options
    The protein bars from the supermarket are yuck! Optifast bars are actually quite nice, you can order from the website or get them from Priceline (in Australia) or the Chemist Warehouse.

You can drop the Dinner shake and have a protein and salad instead and no you are not doing any damage by doing that. If you are feeling extra hungry, have a cup of sugar free jelly - 10 calories. Good luck :)
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    hmmm. All I know is after 25+ years of everything Optifast, Jenny Craig, WW, etc....turned into a huge yo yo because it always came off fast, and I didn't learn a thing about nutrition or anything.
    So where did I end up afer all these years? 104 lbs overweight - but blood work great for some reason on everything.

What I learned is it comes off quick with those methods, and then slowly you slide back and then you do it again and again.

Now I am finally at the mindset if it didn't go on in 2 or 3 months - it isn't going to come off in 2 or 3 months. I've set my goals to loose just a pound a week. I'm in no hurry....I plan on living forever. :bigsmile:

I found the MFP finally offers me support and tailored support because you can find people you age, your weight challenge, etc. etc.

good luck to you - whatever you do. It doesn't look like you have much more to goal - but I figured I'd share my thoughts.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Optifast for just over 4 months now, through Kasier Hospital's Medical Weight Management. For the first 16 weeks, it was 6 products a day (4 shakes, a bar and a soup). And a TON of water. No food at all. We had to be monitored every week for blood pressure, etc, and twice had to have an EKG, etc. Once we began phasing food back in (about 4 weeks ago) we dont have to do the bloodwork anymore - because we're upping from 970 cals a day to about 1200. The small amount of calories is Ok for a short period of time (4-5 months) but you should be monitored. I've been very pleased with the program, but I must admit- I get so much good information from our group and the weekly meetings - I couldnt imagine doing it without the support and info. I would fear that I wouldnt learn new habits and after a while, I'd just go back to doing all the same old bad things (after all- 20 years of bad habits doesnt just change overnight, or in a few months, or even a year)! We've been told it takes about 2 years to change a habit.
    One thing you might consider, we all had to be put on a precautionary medication toward the end of the 16 week period, right before we started phasing food back in, and it was for gall stones. I guess rapid weight loss, and then re-introducing food can (sometimes) cause gall stones. No one on my group of 20 had an issue. So... I think for a while, such extreme (non) eating is OK...but it'd be better to be monitored and certainly better with a support group. But- as for maintenance, I plan to stick to 3 products a day and 2-3 smaller meals for at least a year... or more. Good luck with it- and hopefully you can get the support and info you need here on MFP.
  • nmleisa
    nmleisa Posts: 93 Member
    Options

What I learned is it comes off quick with those methods, and then slowly you slide back and then you do it again and again.

^^^^^^^THIS!!!^^^^^^^^^

Not to discourage you, but just realize that it is definitely something to consider. I did the OPTIFAST plan about 4 years ago...it was physician monitored and I went to the weekly support meetings and everything. It definitely works, that's for sure...i dropped about 70 lbs in about 5 months. I went from being 268 lbs and feeling like crap about myself, to 200 lbs and loving life. I started running while i was losing and I felt and looked fantastic. I was doing the 5 shakes a day with no food and slowly weaned off of it, but replacing one meal with food, then 2 meals. The problem was that the weight came off so easy with the shakes, so when I started eating real food, it was harder to maintain. I then go so burnt out on shakes and calorie counting. The icing on the cake was when i got hurt and had to have surgery...I couldn't run for 12 weeks and just sort of threw my hands up and said screw it...and started eating the way i was eating before. I gained all my weight back, and then some.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen to you, just food for thought. I think that if i had lost the weight slower by learning to eat healthy instead of just drinking the shakes, I would have been better able to sustain my weight loss. It took me a long time to get my head on straight and start losing again. I recently started seeing the dietican that i had when i was doing the optifast program because she is so fantastic and positive. She actually suggested using MFP to log calories. This time I am eating 1600-1700 calories a day instead of doing the 800 cal/day on shakes and have been losing consistently (and am way less grumpy according to my husband!)...I do still do a shake first thing in the morning when i get up, but am trying to eat in a way I can sustain long term. :)

If the shakes work for you...great! :) Definitely keep it up....just keep in mind that they should be a short term solution, not something to try to do forever. And also keep in mind...you might still gain, even doing the shakes...so don't get discouraged...you may just need more calories for the day. :) The loss will slow down after a few weeks...i dropped a lot in water weight the first week or two, then i was losing 2-3 lbs a week.

Good luck! Feel free to message or friend me if you have any other questions or need support :)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    This sounds like madness. Why bother with these shakes when you can have food?

Drink SHAKES in a calorie deficit and lose weight.
    Eat FOOD in a calorie deficit and lose weight.

Which one seems more appealing and more sustainable for the rest of your life?

The shakes have no magic in them. Only calories. It's up to you where you get your calories from. Shakes are very convenient here and there, but as your main source of food? Come on man.
  • backinaction
    backinaction Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The reason is less about the food and more about the mental aspect of being able to control what you are eating. It has given be a regimented eating schedule and has taught me a lot about the psychology of eating. I know that it will be difficult to go back to normal food more often but I have learned invaluable information in the program.

I just started week 4 and I am down 31 pounds on the program.
  • zekerice
    Options
    Just outta curiosity...jpwalmer...how much weight have you list since your last post?
  • tattoocutie81
    Options
    The whole point of doing shakes is to realize that food is fuel.. it helps with your relationship with food.. and how to go from being an emotional eater to eating to keep your body moving. FOOD IS FUEL!!! So going from eating FOOD everyday to drinking shakes makes you realize what you need for your body... Teaches you that even though that slice of pizza tastes amazing you do not need it to survive. and sure when you go back to eating regular food you can enjoy some of your favorites as long as it fits in your day and you stay within your calories. losing weight is all about what you take in and what you burn...
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Opti = Optimum

Fast = Quick

800 = the number after 799

Its all there in the name. I mean they couldn't call it that if it was a bunch of crap could they?

Are you going to drink this stuff for the rest of your life? What is your plan when you lose all the weight?
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    This sounds kind of scary.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    The whole point of doing shakes is to realize that food is fuel.. it helps with your relationship with food.. and how to go from being an emotional eater to eating to keep your body moving. FOOD IS FUEL!!! So going from eating FOOD everyday to drinking shakes makes you realize what you need for your body... Teaches you that even though that slice of pizza tastes amazing you do not need it to survive. and sure when you go back to eating regular food you can enjoy some of your favorites as long as it fits in your day and you stay within your calories. losing weight is all about what you take in and what you burn...

Nice bump....and what you wrote is rubbish. Shakes do not help your relationship with food.....and pizza is awesome!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    We had to be monitored every week for blood pressure, etc, and twice had to have an EKG, etc.

I know this is an old thread... but it makes me wonder.... who foots the bill for all this Doctor supervision? A medical plan, or does it come outa your own pocket? Sounds rather pricey.
    Just outta curiosity...jpwalmer...how much weight have you list since your last post?

This much http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/972756-i-lost-100-pounds-since-september-9th-but?page=1

On September 9, 2012 I started the OptiFast800 diet. I weighed in at 295 pounds. I spent the next two months drinking 5 shakes a day and I ended up losing about 45 pounds in just over 8 weeks. Over the next 6-7 weeks, I lost another 20 pounds. By New Years, I weighed about 230-235 pounds. I'm now down to 194 pounds.

The icing on the cake

food for thought

You complete me.
  • Dulene79
    Dulene79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all!

Reading your post has encouraged me to start the Optifast 800. Congrats on losing 31 pounds within the first month of the program! I hope I have that same results on my journey. I've had knee replacement surgery 8 months ago on both my knees, therefore I can't run as I used to in my younger days lol. With that being said, what I can do is ride my recumbent bike vigorously at about 14 - 16mph for (4 hours daily = 240 minutes a day. In conjunction with full Optifast should get me to lose 90 pounds within 3 months, which is what I need because I'm getting married within 4 months!
  • Josara1953
    Options
    I'll be talking to my doctor next week about this diet program. A lot of people wonder why anyone would try such an extreme method to lose weight; I'll offer my situation as an example. I'll be 61 years old in August. Menopause started when I was about 48 and didn't seem to be a big deal. A year later, I had a life-changing knee injury and the weight gain began. I weighed around 120# at that time. My weight has increased steadily no matter what I do. Physical exercise is limited by deteriorating knees, COPD, and blood pressure that skyrockets with exertion. I weighed myself this morning and see I've gained another 5#; I now weigh 195#. I'm officially obese with a BMI of 32, and I need to see a significant weight loss in a very short period of time. My target goal is 130#. My hope is that reaching my goal will be a "reset" point to move from living to eat, to eating to live.

Do I plan on living on shakes for the rest of my life? At this point, it won't surprise me. I plan on finding that balance between shakes and solid foods to stay at a healthy weight. I sure didn't see this (the continual weight gain) coming. Now there's nothing left to do except get rid of it quickly and do whatever it takes to keep it off.
  • linnie1980
    linnie1980 Posts: 1
    Options
    Optifast products are much better than anything you'll ever find in a grocery store. All store bought products contain a ton of sugar, and sugar in other forms as well, not to mention flour, etc. - Most of these products are geared to make you want more of what you just ate. Plus saw a program on a very popular diet drink that some celebrities have represented and this program detailed ingredients and one of them was some type of toxic fluid - No thanks!. Optifast products have been scientifically tested and proven to work and they are *the only* prescription protein weight loss food there is. In addition, Optifiast products when used as directed do not require any vitamin supplementation of any kind while on product. I've used other protein products a few years back under medical supervision (Proti) but all required supplements and a multi-vitamin. Optifast programs medically manage their clients because it is intense since 6 products per day for a total of 960 calories is a far cry from what most overweight people are eating prior to beginning Optifast. Medical supervision is also a way for your health professional to periodically determine if your health is improving via blood tests, electrocardiograms, etc. In doing the Optifast program *everything* improved for me... My blood pressure is now normal, my cholesterol was never high but it is beyond perfect now. Absolutely all of my blood tests showed marked improvement though none of numbers were high to begin with. My blood pressure was the thing that went up in being overweight. I have just returned to the Optifast program two weeks ago to get the remaining weight off and I've lost 11 lbs in two weeks. What I love about Optifast is you immediately feel physically better when on product once you get through the first 2 to 4 days and as an instant gratification type person (which most overweight people are in my opinion) I need to see results much quicker than a 1 or 2 lb a week weight loss offered at programs like WW'ers. I don't waiver on the plan and I don't throw in fruit or anything else because the overload of carbs with throw you out of ketosis (sp?) and that will impede weight loss. Anyway, that's my spin... Good luck!