My skin is cracked and bleeding!

Options
It's really freaking me out, this has never happened before I started dieting. During the first two weeks, it was just really red and sore on my right fingertips, mainly my thumb. On the third week, the skin started to peel off the tip of the thumb, then the index finger, (it skipped the middle finger) but after another few days so did the ring finger. This week will be one month straight of dieting and exercising. The skin on my thumb split open and started bleeding when I was writing in class. I'm getting really scared, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong?! I mean, I cut all candy and rice out of my diet, which basically was my diet this summer, so what else can it be?!

Replies

• laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You should probably talk to your doctor about it.

Short-term suggestions: are you drinking enough water? Is your skin dry other than your hands?
  • sueceeq
    sueceeq Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It sounds like eczema to me. I have it on three fingers on one hand. See your doctor though to confirm...Good luck!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. It could be anything from a lack of something in your diet to an allergic reaction, however with an allergic reaction I'd think it would spread to more than just your thumb. But it is def. something you should speak to your doctor about because you could be lacking something important.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    so when did you start writing class? sounds like change of weather, lack of moisturizer and perhaps your taking more showers than normally due to working out
  • raven3lise
    raven3lise Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You should probably talk to your doctor about it.

Short-term suggestions: are you drinking enough water? Is your skin dry other than your hands?
    I've always had dry skin, and I drink bottled water like I drink air, it doesn't work. If I drink less than 3 or 4 a day, I get chapped lips. It's not exactly a writing class, it's Cinema Appreciation, but today we were freewriting for our first assignment.
    Maybe it's the more showers, I tried to skip showers as much as I could in the summer because my hair would get really dry no matter how much Infusium I put in it.
    I can't afford a doctor :T
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Are there any free clinics in your area? Or sometimes, schools will have a medical office you can get for little to no cost healthcare.
  • fofipps
    fofipps Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sorry, didn't read correctly.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure she should be putting oils and skin butters on cracked open and bleeding skin. That sounds like a recipe for infection to me.
  • m0pp3t
    m0pp3t Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Is there a health office at your school?
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor.

Go to Planned Parenthood - they see women for general health visits, not just reproductive care. (Charges are on a sliding scale. They are there to serve women with low income, so don't think that you can not afford it.) If there isn't a Planned Parenthood near you, then check the yellow pages (online or in print) for a free clinic, as one of the other posters suggested.

This forum is not the place for you to to get medical advice.
  • fofipps
    fofipps Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My apologies, I missed the open wound part. You're right, of course.
  • silverlockmacy
    Options
    most colleges have a nurse that is included in your tuition and what you have sounds like what they are there for i have psoriasis and it cracks and bleeds when it is chapped but yours sounds more like it needs some sort of cream i would get antibac cream and a pair of those dish washing gloves slather on the cream put on the gloves then put your hands in a sink of hot water. it is a trick i use in winter to condition my hands
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are eating very litlle - and almost nothing but junk...No fruit, no vegetables whatsoever...A little juice will not give you any nutrition...Go see a doctor, and a nutritionist too, because you are not feeding your body the way it should be fed....
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of liquids and see your doctor.
    In the mean time - try using some Neosporin at night.
  • raven3lise
    raven3lise Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... Especially astrampe. Believe it or not, yesterday was one of my good days. I'm a total food junkie. :T Trying to wean myself onto veggies and fruits.
  • EvaChan83
    Options
    Hey, the first week I started working out my hands blistered and peeled form the way I was holding various equipment and also due to the fact my hands were not used to the labor. Not only am I a massage therapist but I am a liscenced skin care professional... I recommend something called aquaphor for your hands. Aquaphor is actually used in burn units nation wide for skin treatment and is extremely easy to find. Just rubbing some of this on your hands for a night should really put moisture into your skin without irrateing the wounds. If it continues or the discomfort gets worse, definitely talk to a dr.:)
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Obviously see a doctor, but my first thought was some kind of deficiency. I would at least add a multivitamin and some omega 3s via fish or flax oil.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's really freaking me out, this has never happened before I started dieting. During the first two weeks, it was just really red and sore on my right fingertips, mainly my thumb. On the third week, the skin started to peel off the tip of the thumb, then the index finger, (it skipped the middle finger) but after another few days so did the ring finger. This week will be one month straight of dieting and exercising. The skin on my thumb split open and started bleeding when I was writing in class. I'm getting really scared, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong?! I mean, I cut all candy and rice out of my diet, which basically was my diet this summer, so what else can it be?!
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    hate to tell you this, as i hate that it is such a buzz word these days-:mad:
    but celiac disease/gluten intolerance has symptoms of this-on the hands especially. Because its the last thing drs think it could be it usually takes 10 yrs before it is given a right diagnosis. I have a BS in dietetics , not that im an expert, but nutritionists specialize in food related stuff, and look at food possibilites first. I used to own a healthfood store and helped two people with the same symptoms as yours,and thats what they had. It could also be a fat thing. need for more omegas:drinker:
    good luck!!.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I wasn't getting enough oil and protein in my diet.

I also started taking fish oil and Vitamin D, but I don't know if it was that or adding more fat and protein to my food choices. It could be as simple as that.